Choice Scarf Gengar

Thread: Choice Scarf Gengar

Default Choice Scarf Gengar

So I was building my first gen6 team, and like most of my teams, it's going to be offensive, and Iv'e decided to use Choice Scarf Genagr as my revenge-killer and check to sweepers who might risk offensive teams in general, and then I realized ScarfGar had a serious four-moveslot syndrome. What shall Gengar's moves be?

Shadow Ball is a no-brainder, beeing neutral to Steels now makes it's neutral coevarge outstanding.
    Focus Blast is also obligitory, seeing as no Pokemon in the game resist Ghost/Fighting.

While I have an easy time with the first two moveslots, the remaining two give me some problems; first up is Thunderbolt, which is mainly used for Water-types, and is expecially important to hit DDGyara; second is the secondary STAB move Sludge Bomb, which isn't spectacular but at least kills Togekiss; Psychic, Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball offer some coverage as well-notably, Dazzling Gleam is X4 effective against Hydreigon.

Some Status moves can also benefit from the added speed: Hypnosis is shaky but has a 60% chance to temporarily disable an opponent (note that sleep isn't reset by switching out anymore, so it's a bit less effective this gen); Destiny Bond can eliminate an opponent that Gengar cannot KO with it's coverage and can be very effective if I predict correctly, and Trick can really mess-up a wall if I need to.

So what should I use? Competitive comments only!
    Last edited by Suicune Rider; 17th January 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Default Re: Choice Scarf Gengar

Dazzling Gleam seems like a good choice for the super-effectiveness against Dragons and as a backup for Focus Blast against the dangerous Darks, but with only 3 Dragons in OU last gen it might not be worth it.

Thunderbolt seems like your best bet, getting better than neutral damage against a bulky Water really ups your offensive potential. Energy Ball also does that, but Thunderbolt also counters the flying-types and has that chance at paralysis. After that, I'd be inclined to go for Trick or something irritating like Will-o-Wisp for when you need to make a threat less threatening.

But does Thunderbolt OHKO Mega Gyarados?

Blog Entries

This topic best suits the Bulbagarden Battle Center forum for your competitive battling needs, specifically the Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)