Is Charizard Overrated? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Is Charizard overrated?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 61.47%
  • No

42 38.53%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Is Charizard Overrated?

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

To be honest, I love the first two evolutions in the Zard Family, esspecially Charmeleon, I kindof wish the Charmeleon evolved into a fire/dragon grounded pokemon that looked a little more like it.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

I don't think so, but he's the first Flying Pokémon in National PokéDex. We have too many Flying-types, so why put only Charizard instead of other Flying-type Pokémon (like Pidgey and Farfetch'd) in this topic? He's overrated by other fans because he's the only final evo form of starter Pokémon (being part Flying-type) who's immune to Ground attacks.

Registered User PKMN Master Red's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In more recent games Charizard's been a bit weak, but in the first two generations, especially the first, Charizard was among the strongest Pokemon. So in the more recent games, then yes, a tad bit.

However, in the anime, at least with Ash's Charizard, he fully justifies all the hype around him, and if anything, because of Ash's Charizard, the Pokemon may be considered under-rated!

My vote will still be No for the pole though.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    In most cases, yes he is horribly overrated, but competativly, its a little underrated. Don't get me wrong, this thing does not belong in ubers, but it is viable in ou, with a choice scarf on a sun team. But the stealth rock weakness is obvious. IF their was some way to get permasun in the lower teirs, it would probobly go to ru or uu.
    From my own personal experience, I don't think 'Zard is very viable in OU (there's a reason he isn't in the tier, after all.) Believe it or not, he lacks raw power, even with Solar Power, Drought and STAB. In theory, he should be blowing sh!t up left and right, but from my experience, he needs a Choice Specs (which locks you into one move) or a Life Orb (which cuts your survivability down to LOL levels) to be able to power through some of the tougher opponents in OU (Think Tyranitar, Gyarados, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc.) However, if you decide to eschew the Choice Scarf in favor of one of the aforementioned items, then he'll lack the speed to be able to hit them before he himself gets taken out (let's be honest, Charizard's staying power is a hilarious joke.)

So you have to choose: power or speed. Whichever one you don't choose will end up becoming your Achilles' heel. I found Volcarona to be much more reliable and an overall superior Fire type choice. Keep in mind, I built an OU team around Charizard precisely to see if he could match up in OU and my results were disappointing.

That's just my personal experience, though. If you've had (or know someone who's had) a different one, please let me know.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Charizard is one of those Pokemon that is not bad, but he isn't amazing. Yes, in competitive, he's probably not your best choice of Pokemon unless you probably use him in something like Ubers. I've seen a friend of mine wreck stuff with it, and it's really shocking to what Charizard can do once there's no status on it's side of the field. Specs Solar Power Zard in Sun really hurts stuff in Ubers, I hear. Even non-specs can do a crazy amount of damage, really. @_@

In short, I feel that it is kind of overhyped, but not without good reason. Charizard has flaws just like any other Pokemon does, they're just apparently more notable, I suppose?

Can I try? Twinkles the Marvel Horse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Overrated in the sense that it's like the only pokemon anyone (who isn't a fan) knows about or remembers that isn't Pikachu. Apparently, Charizard cards were all the rage back in the day.
    Shant I tell you of last night's dream?

Dark forms... came to me...

whispering of Unspeakable Atrocities!

Blog Entries

it is one of the most popular pokemons, but i believe its kinda underrated nowadays, mostly due to the use of stealth rocks in competitive gameplay. i really like charizard because he was my first pokemon (well actually charmander), so i use it sometimes in competitive battles and most of the times it gets the job done. sure it doesn't have the best stats or typing, but still has potential if used correctly. all that "you can defeat charizard with a pebble" that a lot of people say leads me to think its pretty understimated.

Blog Entries

Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Warrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    In most cases, yes he is horribly overrated, but competativly, its a little underrated. Don't get me wrong, this thing does not belong in ubers, but it is viable in ou, with a choice scarf on a sun team. But the stealth rock weakness is obvious. IF their was some way to get permasun in the lower teirs, it would probobly go to ru or uu.
    From my own personal experience, I don't think 'Zard is very viable in OU (there's a reason he isn't in the tier, after all.) Believe it or not, he lacks raw power, even with Solar Power, Drought and STAB. In theory, he should be blowing sh!t up left and right, but from my experience, he needs a Choice Specs (which locks you into one move) or a Life Orb (which cuts your survivability down to LOL levels) to be able to power through some of the tougher opponents in OU (Think Tyranitar, Gyarados, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc.) However, if you decide to eschew the Choice Scarf in favor of one of the aforementioned items, then he'll lack the speed to be able to hit them before he himself gets taken out (let's be honest, Charizard's staying power is a hilarious joke.)

So you have to choose: power or speed. Whichever one you don't choose will end up becoming your Achilles' heel. I found Volcarona to be much more reliable and an overall superior Fire type choice. Keep in mind, I built an OU team around Charizard precisely to see if he could match up in OU and my results were disappointing.

That's just my personal experience, though. If you've had (or know someone who's had) a different one, please let me know.
    Aye, that is very true. And yes volcerona is a vastly supperior sun sweeper. Although i have watched one of my fovorite ou battlers actually use zard with some sucsess in ou, running specs, but your point is very true

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Charizard is the weakest of all starter evolutions both in design and battle wise, i dont understand why people like it so much.
    Your Name Please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macromaster View Post
    Charizard is the weakest of all starter evolutions both in design and battle wise, i dont understand why people like it so much.
    I think it's the idea of owning a fire breathing dragon more than anything that makes it so well liked. And the anime may have helped with its popularity. Of course I think a turtle with cannons sounds much cooler/stranger.

I would say that it is overrated...before it got a Mega. But now it's found new life, and whether it stays overrated imo is a mystery.
    Last edited by IS1296; 8th September 2013 at 10:34 PM.

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have never seen it or tried it but I can imagine what happens to Charizard if he enters a battle in Stealth Rocks. And Ashs Charizard is overrated too. VERY overrated.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Regardless of how overrated he is compared to other pokemon or how badly he does in competitive battles, everyone should help support Charizard in the GameFAQs character battle poll! Megaman is catching up on him and is only ahead by 100 votes, but if he wins Charizard heads to the finals.

GameFAQs - Video Game Cheats, Reviews, FAQs, Message Boards, and More

EV trainer

Charizard has two mega evolutions, while all the others (besides mewtwo, but it makes sense because he is a legendary) have one. Its new mega evo just reeks of: HEY, IM OVER-RATED, PICK ME!!!!!!!!! With its new dragon typing, it is now weak to fairy (it could learn dragon type moves before and not be weak to it), and is no longer immune to ground, which is one of fire's weaknesses. Stealthrock + earthquake could wipe the floor with it. and with dragon moves having no effect against fairy.... its going to have a VERY hard time against marill. And charizard was over-rated to begin with, some charizard fans say that blastoise is over rated... but, the RED game sold more than blue... idiots. And because no one knew better at the time, they thought the pokemon on the cover of the game was the most powerful. Plus, it doesnt matter what moveset your charizard... it can be knocked out with:
    And am i the only one around here that is picking Y instead of X? AND WHY IS XREANUS PURE FAIRY!??!?! IT SHOULD BE AT LEAST HALF GRASS!!!!!!!

I'm not a huge fan of Charizard, but I do think the term "overrated" is overused. Basically, you hate/dislike something that's popular. But you don't want to just say that, so you use the more objective term "overrated" to make it sound like you're justified in hating it.

Now, "underrated" I don't mind at all. It might bring someone's attention to something good they didn't know about before. But all "overrated" does is start arguments that no one's ever going to win.

...Then again, that's pretty much what the internet is all about.

Yes, he is overrated, but I don't hate him. I like him, but he's not in my top favorite pokemon. By today's standards, he's kinda bland. Not that plain is a bad thing, it's just I think Hydreigon and Salamence are far cooler looking dragons.
    Like a lot of people who grew up in the RBY days, he was my favorite when I was a young lass. I loved dragons as a kid, so I latched onto this thing. Dragonite was too fat and friendly for my tastes.
    He sucks competitively and I always laugh at people who say their 'Zard is "powerful" and the strongest Gen 1 starter. No, he's the weakest competitive wise.
    Is he fine in-game battling NPCs? Yes. You shouldn't be ashamed to use him in the game if you like him. Hell, I use him from time to time in my playthroughs.
    I also think more and more people are realizing he's not up to the hype, but a lot of people still latch onto him because of nostalgia. The whole rare TCG holographic card hype and his character in the anime just add to that.
    Come to think of it, in the closer pokemon communities, especially those who battle competitively, he's not really overrated, since he's known to not be very good.
    Last edited by Harmonica; 7th October 2013 at 09:16 PM.
    JofesaTruth likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast