Is Charizard Overrated? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Is Charizard overrated?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    67 61.47%
  • No

    42 38.53%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Is Charizard Overrated?

  1. #46
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    To tell you the truth, I despise competitive battling. Not because I don't like, I dislike it because of how overrated it is. So why is?

    This thread is probably one of the reasons. Or perhaps it is the idea that competitive battling is all that matters in pokémon. Or perhaps the notion that any pokémon that's pouplar without being good in their very narrow field is overrated. Whatever the reason I have had bad experiences with it. Whenever I hear of a fan being told their favorite pokémon "suck", it feels like I'm looking at people who like to steal candies from babies. On top of that, they seem to think that anyone who isn't interested in their boring little metagame is not a real fan.

    TL;DR: Competitive battling bullshit like what makes up three-quarters of this thread need to stay in competitive battling, and stop trying to dicate how the whole fandom work.
    Yes, agree on all points, it just doesn't sit well to me when I hear someone (usually a critic or just an average player) saying things like, ''The real core of the game is it's competitive metagame, otherwise, there's no reason to play it''.

    At least to me, my love for Pokémon runs a LOT deeper than their stats and IV's, I have a bond with the little critters, I don't care if they're fictional, I'd still want to hug my Serperior for a job well done, I don't give a damn about ''it has low attack'' and shit like that, it's still my special Pokémon.
    AlphaGiratina and FANG-TAN like this.

  2. #47
    Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    competitive battling is fun for me, esp as someone who hasn't played pokemon in like three generations and has to catch upon stuff. I like figuring out things like movesets, learning about abilities, and finding out what natures do. All that said, I like battling with the teams I make in the game too, and learning what I like to use the best even though I don't have some of my old favorites in the new game I got. I liked Charizard when I played RBY and he's pretty cool, but I don't think he's overrated. Then again, I'm a n00b

  3. #48
    ♥ Grand Riser ♥ Silverwynde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Battle Maison
    Posts
    7,020
    Blog Entries
    102

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    At least to me, my love for Pokémon runs a LOT deeper than their stats and IV's, I have a bond with the little critters, I don't care if they're fictional, I'd still want to hug my Serperior for a job well done, I don't give a damn about ''it has low attack'' and shit like that, it's still my special Pokémon.
    ^ OH MY PRIMUS, THIS!

    I don't do the metagame. It ain't fun to me. You can sit there and say that Golurk can't make it in competitive and I won't care because my Riser was the tank that leveled Ghetsis. He's my baby; do not try to convince me otherwise.

    As for the topic:
    Charizard is a bit too overexposed to me and worse, most who remember it--and who aren't hardcore fans--remember Ash's. Most think that Ash's Charizard acting like a disrespectful snark made it cool. To me, it didn't. It only made me not like the creature. It's thanks to the show that I just can't use Charizard; the whole attitude ruined it for me. And unfortunately, by the time Charizard dropped the 'tude it was too late for me. So yeah, blame the show in my case.
    Owain, AlphaGiratina and FANG-TAN like this.

    Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

  4. #49
    Skodwarde's Slave zakisrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    392
    Blog Entries
    90

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Yeah, it's pretty overrated. I prefer the other Kanto starters.
    Rhonda: Okay, Curly, I admit it. I'm your secret admirer. And the truth is, no matter how hard I try and fight it, [reading off her hand] I'm really, really wild about you. In fact, I've fallen crazy in love. So what do you say? How does that make you feel?
    Curly: Give Daddy some sugar. (kiss)

  5. #50
    Registered User AlphaGiratina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hearthome City
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    YES IT IS. Don't get me wrong, Charmander is the starter I always pick when playing Blue/Leafgreen. Charmeleon remains to date one of my favorite Pokémon. And although Charizard is cool, it is overrated as heck. Often, people are blinded by nostalgia and say how it is like the most powerful Pokémon and whatnot. Interesting fact: Typhlosion and Charizard share the EXACT same stats. And Typhlosion can actually survive a hit from stealth rock, I might add. I hear people ranting all the time how Charizard is the best. It is an ok Pokémon. But it is far from the most powerful.

  6. #51
    Parabolic Charge! Helioptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Kalos Region!
    Posts
    465
    Blog Entries
    115

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Yes. Then again, so are all the Fire-types (emboar excluded).

  7. #52
    Registered User Serj Tankian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    It might have been overrated back in the day, but nowadays I hear more about how much he sucks and how annoying he is than people praising him. So I'd say no, he's not overrated at all. In fact I'd say he's underrated since people are scared to use him after hearing how terrible it is.
    Agreed. This very thread is proof of that fact. A Thread started to rail about how much someone hates Charizard because of how much Hype it has,
    yet it's seams the common consensus within the thread is that not many people have a very high opinion of him anyway, thus refuting the supposed "Hype."

    Sounds more like the OP once met someone who really, really, really Loves Charizard and, for whatever reason, wanted to whine about it.

    But to answer the question, no I don't find him "Overrated" at all. Was once Overused, perhaps but I think he deserves a decent token of respect.
    In red, I chose Bulbasaur so there's no undue favoritism with me and I never really liked fire-types but Charizard was a reliable Member of my Competitive Team in Red.
    Found him far better then Venasaur, though only because of the Predominance of Mewtwo in Competitive battles. But that was a long time ago.
    LOL, Saur is by far better than Zard competivively. Besides, Zard has never been OU, the only OU in gen I was, Snorlax, Zapdos, Gyarados and Rhydon (That's all i know)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    It was one of my favorites as a kid, and it still is. Like @Aquanova; said, I didn't even know people thought it was overrated until I came here. It was normally just "I like Charizard" or "I don't like Charizard", not "Charizard is so overrated" when I was talking with friends.
    Welcome to the Internet... Now stop butthúrting about anyone that insults charizard...

    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaLover View Post
    No, I don't feel Charizard is overrated. Overexposed, yes, but not overrated. Things were different back in the earlier days. Charizard is fairly iconic nowadays, as it's one of the most well-known Pokemon to date. However, Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, and even Jigglypuff are just as well noted as Charizard (if you don't believe me, play the SSB series, as all four were, at one time or another, used in those games). The fact is Charizard looks like a fierce, fire-breathing dragon. What little kid doesn't like a fierce, fire-breathing dragon? I know I love them. But I picked Bulbasaur as my starter in Red and Blue. Don't ask me why, I just did. I had not clue what I was doing then, but Bulbasaur had a clear-cut advantage that Charmander didn't. I didn't know that off the bat, and even though my Venasaur could murder Blue's team with little effort, somehow, Charizard did earn a place in my heart.

    Nowadays, there are much better Fire-types, as (competitively) Charizard can get owned by a single Stealth Rock, and Pokemon like Blaziken and Infernape tend to fare better anyway. Speaking non-competitively, Charizard does have a decent selection of moves and a fairly well-balanced stat. Again, Pokemon like Blaziken, Infernape, Arcanine, Volcarona, and other fare better in more situations than Charizard, but Charizard has earned it place. After all, the anime was the biggest driving force for the marketing of Pokemon, and Ash getting a big, bad Charizard while his other two starters (Bulbasaur and Squirtle) stayed in their base forms made it stand out more. Ash had to put the most effort into Charizard, especially since in the early days he hate to admit he was wrong and was stubborn to a fault, so it tested his character as well as gave the flame-tailed draconian-like Fire/Flying-type a lot of screen time. Ash's Charizard is easily his strongest, as even a "god-level" Pikachu gets crushed by supposedly "rookie" Mons (I'm lookin' and you, Trip's Snivy). Charizard has only lost a few battles, most of them (like Harrison's Blaziken) were power-packed, nail-bitter, edge-of-your-seat epic battles.

    Again, other monster-based series like Digimon thrive on such things, as Agumon as been in three different Digimon anime series (Adventure 01, 02, and Data Squad), so would you call Agumon overrated? It's a fire-breathing dragon-like monster, and it's the staple of the Digimon series (personally, I feel Angemon and Angewomon were more powerful, since they were much stronger for their respective levels... if you don't believe me, watch the episodes with Devimon's defeat to Angemon, Myotismon's first encounter with Angemon and later Angewomon, and MagnaAngemon vs. Piedmon). So it's only natural the marketing would use such an iconic monster, one that even newbies to the series would know, to more heavily expose and promote the series. Again, would you say Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and even Jigglypuff are overrated since they're well-known to the same degree as Charizard? Charizard is what Charizard is; a fire-breathing dragon-like monster who has had plenty of time in the spotlight to earn its name engraved in the stone of the series.

    So, no, Charizard isn't overrated. It has been overexposed, yes, but that's not the same as overrated. Whether we like it or not, Charizard is what it is; a symbol of the series itself. There are better Fire-types nowadays, but in those earlier days, a fire-breathing dragon seemed a lot more powerful than a dino with a flower on its back or a turtle with two cannons in its shell. Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Lucario have gotten the same treatment. Heck, even Meowth has, thanks to Team Rocket's role in the anime. So, no, Charizard isn't overrated. It may have had a lot of punch at first, but newer Fire-types have outclassed it. But it's still a fun Mon to use. Bulbasaur may be my first choice for Starter in Kanto (though I'm pretty tired of Kanto), but Charmander and its family have gained what it wanted, whether we like it or not. So stop whining about it. It's not gonna go away anytime soon, so just blow it off and move on. At least Charizard was cooler than the "true" dragon of Kanto (Dragonite, what a ripoff). That's all for now.
    And That's because we say 'Zard is overrated...

    1-.Charizard can be overexposed... But if Charizard is overexposed that's only another issue...Charizard is an Icon nowdays? Due, Charizard nowadays is pratically in the Oblivion, and how it is that he's the most well-known pokemon? Lol, go and ask to any kid who's pikachu, I bet the most of them will answer you... Now, go and Ask to the kids who's Charizard, I guess the most of them won't answer you... LOL, Lucario and Juglypuff maybe can be as well noted as Charizard... But Jigglypuff is because it apeared in a videogame wow!. And by the desing, i don't understand what charizard's fans find him special... It just... A dragon that spit fire, wow Such as novelty!. And if you choose Bulbasaur... Why did you did it? lol hahaha xD

    2-. Speaking competively? The most of the moves that Charizard gets are physical, asuming that Charizard sucks on physical. Fairly Balanced-Stat? Are you joking? Charizard only have good speed and Special Attack, but that's all. Even in the anime bellyzard is over rated... besides, I don't think he's the best pokemon of ash. Pikachu is by far better, defeating pokemon of its adventange (Onix for example) and pokemons that can beat charizard with easily, even infernape is better than Charizard. And the problem of trips's Snivy is because Pika's electric power was neutralized... Otherwise, Charizard gets beaten by a Blaziken, and a Dusclops (Incluiding that Charizard has the adventage on Blaziken).

    3-. Don't use evasives, we're not talking about digimon, so don't meddle digimon on this. Nevermind Agumon is the protagonist, but Charizard is a protagonist? NO, they are giving more credit to Charizard than other mom. Jigglypuff is not that popular... And Lucario is overrated too. I don't understand why pikachu is overated, he isn't, just for the simple reason that he's the mascot of the franchise and a protagonist... Enough time to earn its name engraved on a Stone? *Tom Cruise Laugh*

    Charizard is overrated, overpowered and overexposed at the same time... Charizard isn't a symbol of the serie, Charizard's basically on the obvlivion nowadays. Do you really think we are on the 90's?. In those days, an simple dragon that spit fire has a more original concept than a Strange criature that has fusined with a plant that has the concept of 2 form of live in one (Animal Kingdom + Plants) And a Turtle that has 2 fucking cannon that can kill you in one shot (Technology + Nature). Pikachu is popular, but not that apreciatte than charizard does... Obliusly Charizard overshadow Lucario and Jigglypuff. Charizard is overrated for the fault of its stupid fanboys that threart him like a kind of God or the best pokemon ever existed... I don't think that Dragonite is a rip-off, they were on the same generation, besides, Dragonite is better than Charizard...

    ------

    For those who says that "Ch4r1sard 1zn't 0berat3d, h3'z Uverosed" It just a stupid pretext. Trying to evade the truth... But Charizard is actually overated...


    Why do we say this? Simply, because it rescieves so much attention, Charizard's fanboys (Or should I say "Charizardliebers"?) They threat him like the best pokemon ever exist, while he's far to be EVEN, the best starter, even it outclassed by any starter. Besides, in a poll, like "who's your favorite pokemon" You ever expect that anyone will say "Charizard" or "what's your favorite starter?" Charizard always will win on those polls... Even, in the polls of "Who would win in a fight" every "Charizardlieber" will say that Charizard will win, it does mean that the "Charizardliebers" has lack of "common sense". Doens't matter what pokemon you are comparing to Charizard, Charizardliebers will never admit that his pokemon can lose, even if you're comparing to a legendary, will be coments like: "Ch4r1sar w1ll w1n cuz h3's a dr4g0n th4t can fl1!!!"

    Seriously, Charizardliebers are very childish. They rebember me about Dragonball fanboys, even in the anime is overrated because they give me too much protagonist, leaving the rest of ash's pokemon on the oblivion. And if justificable you can talk about him competitively, that is pokemon. Why do you think EV, IV points, Stat and supefective damage does exist? Generally, MMORPG are competitively. and Charizard can do much with the moves that he gets... Only stat boosting with belly-drum, but assuming charizard's x4 weakness to estealth rock and Dragon type moves are useless, because most of the Dragon-Type gets stone edge.. So bye bye Charizard... Charizard only has good speed and Special Attack, but it's to kill...

    The reason why Charizard is overrated, is simply, even suck on competetively, the people still using in, and yes... the comments about: "0MG Z4rt 1s th3 b3zt p0k3m0n 4nd 1t's a dr4gon th4t c4n us3 fl4methrow3r 4nd fl1!!!!111...

    Talking about design, Charizard seems me pretty unispired... How i said back where I left off... It just a Dragon that speed fire... Even the creature that it's based on, seems more badass than Charizard... Charizard lacks of much details... Only little kids like him...

    And the pople who are saying that he's not overated, and its overexposed, you just are trying to justify the thing that it's unjustificable...

    In other words... Yes, charizard is overrated, not sligtthy, ITS OVERRATED AT HELL, WE MUST ADMIT IT!
    Last edited by winstein; 22nd July 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Merged posts

  8. #53
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Well it depends what you're rating him on, if Smogon is your bible than he is probably a false prophet as it were.

    However for many of us who don't care about OU, NU w/e and don't feel the need to categorise everything in a tier then it's not really an issue, and what we see in Charizard is a cool looking Pokemon who holds a lot of memories for many of us and back in the day he was a force to be reckoned with.

  9. #54
    Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Land of Unpredictable Weather
    Posts
    1,760
    Blog Entries
    82

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Yeah, I think Charizard is way overrated. Use a damaging rock-type move, and BOOM, it's dead.

    And personally, I think there's a bunch of other Pokemon that look cooler than Charizard.
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

  10. #55
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,504
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Just in case other posters may think Serj Tankian's approach to posting (calling people names, telling them to stop being butthurt, etc) is acceptable: it's not.
    Scarlet Sky likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

  11. #56
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    In a way, yes and no. Back in Gen 1, Charizard was pretty much the face of the franchise along with Pikachu, and even now in the days of Gens 5 and 6, it is still considered one of the most recognizable Pokemon, even those who have never played the Gen 1 games (or their remakes) can easily recognize it.

    To be honest, as popular as Charizard (and to an extent, Pikachu and Lucario) are, I find Eevee and it's evolutions to be far more overrated than either of them.

    Charizard deserved much of it's popularity, for many players it was one of their first Pokemon (literally in the case it's the final stage of a starter), and given the fact it graces the cover of Red (and FireRed), along with many other Pokemon games, as well as Ash's Charizard in the anime, it's popular because it's a major icon of the franchise. The Eeveelutions, on the other hand, are only popular because they're "ZOMG KAWAII DESU" to 90% of the fandom.
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 20th July 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  12. #57
    Mörë kvlt thän thöv Kane Dunestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    433
    Blog Entries
    17
    Follow Kane Dunestorm On Twitter Add Kane Dunestorm on Facebook Add Kane Dunestorm on Google+
    Add Kane Dunestorm on Linkedin Follow Kane Dunestorm on Tumblr Follow Kane Dunestorm on Flickr Visit Kane Dunestorm's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    No he is not overrated. If this were before 4th gen and there were no such thing as Stealth Rock, then yes, he would be overrated. However, now with Stealth Rocks in the game he just plain sucks. Anything with a 4x weakness to rock type just plain sucks, unless they have the speed/bulk to cope with it - something Charizard does not have.

    YouTube | Tumblr | Dunestorm.com
    I play Pokémon Y! My Friend Code is: 4983-5814-6366

  13. #58
    I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Spying on YOU!
    Posts
    1,359
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    In Anime: Yes. Ashs Charizard is truly overrated. Palpitoad would have a chance of defeating him.
    In games: I do not think so.
    I know all your secrets!

    BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

  14. #59
    Registered User ImDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    Charizard is awesome in the games , maybe a little less in the anime. Recently though I would say that he has lost a lot of popularity. Charizard was way more awesome a couple of years ago,

  15. #60
    Popping Corn Teapot Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    All the places
    Posts
    76
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit Teapot Salty's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is Charizard Overrated?

    In most cases, yes he is horribly overrated, but competativly, its a little underrated. Don't get me wrong, this thing does not belong in ubers, but it is viable in ou, with a choice scarf on a sun team. But the stealth rock weakness is obvious. IF their was some way to get permasun in the lower teirs, it would probobly go to ru or uu.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •