Caitlin's abilities and Darach's role

Thread: Caitlin's abilities and Darach's role

Blog Entries

Default Caitlin's abilities and Darach's role

Darach and Caitlin were first introduced in Platinum's Battle Frontier as the Castle Butler and the Lady of the castle who overlooked these events. It was quite strange to have both their sprites appear together when you battle the Frontier Brain, yet are only battling Darach.

We learn from an NPC that Darach had emotions for Caitlin but he does not show it.

We learn more about Caitlin in BW:

BW Text Dump
    Elite 4 Battle (First Round)

Caitlin:...Whenever I battle, my emotions are rattled.
    She who ruined all that around her whenever she evoked her power is no more now...
    And yet, still...
    My ideal is to wake up to an elegantly-earned victory.
    You... May you continue to be my companion in battle... or otherwise.

Caitlin's Villa (Spring)

Caitlin: Things always turning out the way you like is a precedent to unhappiness.
    There are things I can and cannot do. Recognizing that is key.
    There was an annoying person who said that long ago...

Caitlin: ...If one's psychic ability were truly uncontrollable, one would be better off without it.

Elite 4 (Rematch)

Caitlin:
    ...An inexperienced soul runs wild with its power.
    There were some days on which I was prohibited from battling...
    That same soul that yearned for battle dances at times like now...
    Judging by her dialogue and affinity for Psychic Pokemon, I believe that Caitlin herself has psychic powers, but the way she talks, I believe her psychic abilities have the potential of being greater than even that of Sabrina.

Furthermore, her powers are closely tied to her emotional states. She talks about how battles rattle her emotions, then goes on in to talk about "she who evoked her power" and ruined all that was around her being no more.

She also talks about how it would be better off to not have psychic powers if it were uncontrollable, and how an inexperienced soul runs wild with power, then goes on to talk about how she was prohibited (not unable) to battle in the past, but which her soul dances happily now.

I believe that Darach was assigned to Caitlin by her parents to teach her how to control her emotions by removing her from the battle field and battling on her behalf. Darach wasn't battling for Caitlin because Caitlin was unable to, but because it would be too dangerous for her to do so. He had feelings for Caitlin, but knowing that her abilities were tied strongly to her emotions, chose not to speak of it so that he does not hinder their progress in getting her to control her powers.

People say that the line "Things always turning out the way you like is a precedent to unhappiness. There are things I can and cannot do. Recognizing that is key. There was an annoying person who said that long ago..." was actually from Lucas/Dawn battling Darach. However, I think that it was not the DP protagonist, but Darach who said this to her. If Darach was truly to look after her, then it would make perfect sense for him to be teaching her this. Furthermore, its strange for a silent-protagonist to suddenly be quoted. Even Red, who actually appeared in the sequel games, I don't think was ever quoted. Besides, this seems like a line one would tell a girl with uncontrollable psychic abilities as one is about to prohibit her from battle. As for being called annoying, its not as if Caitlin knew of Darach's feelings, and didn't seem that nice toward him in the battle castle. Besides, what else would someone who has Caitlin's power call someone who has none, yet stands in her way? I'm sure that, considering the way she says that line, that the word "annoying" is just being used teasingly.

So, tl;dr Caitlin has uncontrollable psychic powers, Darach taught her how to keep them in check.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 7th January 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Caitlin's abilities and Darach's role

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Note: Deleted old thread and posted new one because certain users would not listen to my request about stopping with the stupidity
    What stupidity? And why did you open this thread in the first place?
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Guys, this is a legitimate topic and I'd prefer if there wasn't fighting right from the beginning. Thank you.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Her story sounds a lot like Akiza from Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray o' Sunshine View Post
    Her story sounds a lot like Akiza from Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds.
    Yeah, I was seeing parallels between the two. Honestly, I don't know why its still a popular view that Caitlin couldn't battle because she was sick. She didn't even sound sickly in Battle Castle.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Well, I think many conclusions can be drawn from that.

One view I take, as the OP said, was that Darach could possibly have been assigned to take care of Caitlin, to make sure that her psychic powers didn't go on a rampage and harm others or herself ("She who ruined all that around her whenever she evoked her power is no more now..."). Through time, Darach fell in love with Caitlin, and thus he became more likely to fulfill her requests. She obviously wanted to battle, as training Pokémon is the thing to do, but she wasn't allowed, due to the risk on herself, her Pokémon and those around her. To appease her wishes while not straying from his duty, Darach allowed her to sit in and watch his battles.

As Darach is referred to as an "annoying person" and that he said what he said "long ago" (assuming Darach said it, of course), it wouldn't surprise me if the two aren't in contact any more. I doubt it was just a friendship collapsing (unless they had a one-night stand it was too awkward the next day xD), perhaps there was an accident?

"Things always turning out the way you like is a precedent to unhappiness."...maybe Darach finally said that he would help Caitlin learn to battle, which is what she always wanted? Then maybe, her powers went out of control and was injured/killed. If he died, then obviously, that would be why they're no longer talking, and if he was injured, maybe the shock of the incident means that he is no longer in a fit state to fulfil his original duty?

Or, Darach insisted that Caitlin battles with Psychic-type Pokémon, as they can resist her powers, and also suppress them, so that they don't harm anyone?

The OP makes a good point about Darach not mentioning his feelings. From Pt/HGSS alone, you'd think it was just because he was shy; that may still be the case, or perhaps he feared that if anything happened between them, the effect it would have on her powers wouldn't be worth it (After all, no relationship is 100% perfect).

First one is more dramatic, later is probably more realistic considering it's a children's franchise.

Damn it, I want to write a fanfic now. I call dibs xD

Blog Entries

"Things always turning out the way you like is a precedent to unhappiness."...maybe Darach finally said that he would help Caitlin learn to battle, which is what she always wanted? Then maybe, her powers went out of control and was injured/killed. If he died, then obviously, that would be why they're no longer talking, and if he was injured, maybe the shock of the incident means that he is no longer in a fit state to fulfil his original duty?
    I'm thinking Darach stayed at the Battle Castle to fulfill his duties as a Frontier Brain, while Caitlin, who has now mastered her own powers was able to go on and battle by herself. There's nothing in the games to indicate they stopped talking. I think of it as a teacher-student relationship. Caitlin finally "graduated" from Darach's teachings and went off on her own.

Or, Darach insisted that Caitlin battles with Psychic-type Pokémon, as they can resist her powers, and also suppress them, so that they don't harm anyone?
    This makes a lot of sense, she could have started off using Psychic Pokemon because they could suppress her powers while they battle, but over time grew fond of them and just kept using them.

First one is more dramatic, later is probably more realistic considering it's a children's franchise.
    I don't see how keeping quiet due to shyness is more dramatic than hiding your feelings away because you didn't want it to affect the progress you were having with your student.

I really think that Caitlin's psychic powers are limited to telekinesis when you think about the situation. If she was a telepath then she could have picked up on Darach's feelings, but nothing in her dialogue ever indicates she knew of his feelings. Besides, just because she's limited to telekinesis, doesn't mean that particular power is at all weak.

I just wish Darach was still around. :<

But yes, the OP's theory makes sense. I like it.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.