Birth and Death Rates - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth and Death Rates

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Default Re: Birth and Death Rates

I was starting to think Ryuutakesh! wouldn't respond. He usually does.

The reason why I made this thread was because my sister and I were talking about this one day. I was wondering if all the unsupervised children running around were doing anything, and she thought they were. And from PokeSpe, we know that the Pokeworld can be dangerous. I suppose I should of put this in the first post.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Super Sceptile or smth Electric Cirno's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Electric Cirno On Twitter Add Electric Cirno on Google+

A child stroking a strange wild Pikachu would get zapped because they aren't trusted by the Pikachu, a person would get burned by certain Pokemon like Ponyta for trust, love, bond etc.
    However the damage may or may not be fatal.
    Immortality doesn't mean absence of death, it means the boundary between life and death disappears, and you are in a state neither alive nor dead.
    Just as if you were in the living world and the Netherworld at the same time, a Necrofantasia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    I think death rates are high amongst non-trainers and children.
    I'd argue they're higher amongst trainers. Non-Trainers are usually going to be wise enough not to run off into Viridian Forest, but it's alarming how trainers can fight giant monsters, challenge criminals and journey through unstable caves and rough seas without being unscathed. Even if your Rattatta is in the top percentage, it's still not going to be much use against a swarm of bloodthirsty Weedle.

Super Sceptile or smth Electric Cirno's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Electric Cirno On Twitter Add Electric Cirno on Google+

Or a Sunkern who discovers you have a Sun Stone!
    My I was running for weeks from a Sunkern called FishBeware, he even beat up Whitney when I was running in her Clefairy shaped Gym!
    Immortality doesn't mean absence of death, it means the boundary between life and death disappears, and you are in a state neither alive nor dead.
    Just as if you were in the living world and the Netherworld at the same time, a Necrofantasia.

I think death rates are high amongst non-trainers and children. After all, there are some pretty dangerous wild pokemon. I mean, I've read several dark fics where the bugs in the Viridian forest were blood suckers and where trainers have to wear body armor as well.

And there's nothing more true to the nature of Pokémon than people's fan fiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Darkrai View Post
    I was starting to think Ryuutakesh! wouldn't respond. He usually does.

The reason why I made this thread was because my sister and I were talking about this one day. I was wondering if all the unsupervised children running around were doing anything, and she thought they were. And from PokeSpe, we know that the Pokeworld can be dangerous. I suppose I should of put this in the first post.
    Oh man are you talking about underage doin' the nasty? I would say that no, the show has pretty much confirmed that Pokémon (and Brock, and Jessie on occasion) are the only people who even think about romance, and even then it's generally one-sided. Remember, this is a universe born of the minds of Japanese people—no one has sex or emotions (seriously, try and find the last two two characters hugged).

Team Rocket HAS to be emblematic of this. Here you have two attractive heterosexual people in their early twenties—with a taste for the dramatic, and we all know how actors are (slutty. Actors are slutty.)—and who clearly have enough chemistry to have remained in a stable relationship for years, yet nothing resembling even a bang-buddy system has emerged. They are seen multiple times sleeping quite chastely, fully clothed, in separate hammocks. And these are the bad guys, who care less for society's constraints than the good, regular trainers.

(And I realize it's a children's cartoon, but A. I've seen sexual tension pulled off decently in cartoons and B. we have to assume that this universe operates as it is presented to us, and we are not getting a whitewashed version of it.)

Or maybe Meowth is just the world's worst cockblocker. Who knows.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Well, here's the thing. Yeah, I bet trainers bite the dust a lot. Through carelessness and overconfidence or jsut poor training.

But the kids have no way to defend themselves at all. And older retirees probably don't either. And the games clearly show that it's VERY dangerous to walk in tall grass without a pokemon to aid you. And the games clearly show that kids, despite these warnings, do just that.

And pokemon don't show prejudice. They DO attack you. And it's only through the protection of your pokemon that you survive. That's why I think non-trainers have a higher mortality rate.

And yeah Keegman, I realize it's fan fiction, but it does cast into light jsut how dangerous these pokemon are. In the good ones, you can tell the writers thought about it. EX: Just touching a Nidoran infects you with a dangerous poison.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

I think it's obvious that non-trainers always die when they go outside. Day in and day out, the normal people just hide in their houses and never leave. People never travel, the most some of them do is go into the Pokemon Center, but then they never get the courage to leave and just stay there, starving, forever, unable to do anything but repeat the same line over and over. Fear has turned their brains to non, and they know if they dare leave the doors of sanctuary, the same shall happen to their physical existence.

If Pokémon were really as dangerous as you guys are claiming, wouldn't humanity as a whole been wiped of the earth long ago before people began to use tools and Pokéballs? Or would Pokémon have been erradicated long ago?

I still find it utterly ridiculous that the two lifeforms can co-exist without huge frictions. Because I'm certain that people wouldn't stand by and let genocidal creatures kill them. Much less people go out and actually befriend said genocidal creatures.

Also, Pokémon appear to be intelligent enough to recognize humans as capable of defending themselves. Usually with their own Pokémon. They also appear to know that humans hold long and terrible grudges. Should they take a person's life, not only should they expect to be killed by people wanting revenge, but probably their whole population in a given area. Do you know what has happened to human's predators? They're now either completely extinct, very endangered or stay as far away from humans as possible.

But fine, believe whatever you want, people are being retarded anyway...
    Last edited by PDL; 25th April 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Hail to our pokemon overlords.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there's a huge mortality rate amongst the power plant and factory workers, given the tendency for Voltorb and Electrode to amass there...yea.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed." - Alexander Supertramp

I tried pretty hard my whole life what I'd call my best...I'm proud that I'm not proud.

Pokemon Breeder <3

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    If Pokémon were really as dangerous as you guys are claiming, wouldn't humanity as a whole been wiped of the earth long ago before people began to use tools and Pokéballs? Or would Pokémon have been erradicated long ago?

I still find it utterly ridiculous that the two lifeforms can co-exist without huge frictions. Because I'm certain that people wouldn't stand by and let genocidal creatures kill them. Much less people go out and actually befriend said genocidal creatures.

But fine, believe whatever you want, people are being retarded anyway...
    I don't think Pokemon like Pidgey, Caterpie or Pikachu are going around killing people. And I don't think anyone has suggested that XD
    The stronger and more rare Pokemon are the only ones that seem dangerous. And you wouldn't find those ones wandering around just anywhere.

So I think the good majority of the human population is safe. But yes there would definitely be problems XP Remember that episode when the Tentacruel attacked the city and destroyed a building or something? lol If it wasn't for the fact that this show is aimed at kids and parents overreact to things like death, I'm sure there would have been some injures.

Blog Entries

Are we forgetting Poocheyenna attacking Professor Birch, a professor who constantly works in the wild, and he was dead certain he was in danger?

The thing is, against a majority of pokemon, humans can't defend themselves on their own. If it was a human against a Pikachu, my money is on the Pikachu. If it was a pokemon against a Zubat, my money is on the Zubat. Even a lot of the common pokemon can be deadly. If a person is in the confines of their own town, yeah they're probably really safe. Outside, unless you have a pokemon to help you, you're at the mercy of whatever attacks you.

Though the Safari Zone does confuse me a bit, so maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Ryuutakeshi; 25th April 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Are we forgetting Poocheyenna attacking Professor Birch, a professor who constantly works in the wild, and he was dead certain he was in danger?
    How do you explain all the trainers on all the routes outside the cities? When you beat their Pokémon in battle you effectively "disarm" them and leave them completely helpless.

Besides, it isn't like Poochyena (note spelling) is really as dangerous as that scene entailed. It's just an excuse to get the trainer to pick a starter Pokémon.

A tackle attack isn't going to eviscerate people.

Also, how the hell do you explain how the Safari Zone works? You send people into an especially wild area full of potentially powerful monsters and they go in completely unarmed. You can't use your own Pokémon, and the Pokémon don't seem to attack you. They just run away or stand around like goofs waiting to be captured.

It's still silly to think that humans are made of tissue paper. They can endure a Pokémon attack... It's just not a good idea to do so.

Blog Entries

Please note my edits.

Yes, I misspelled it. You know what I was saying. Deal with it.

Yeah, I know your disarm them. I'm just saying, a young kid without any pokemon is more likely to suffer an accident than a trainer of certifiable age.

Please note my edits.
    Pardon me for posting my reply while you were busy editing. >_>

Also, pardon me for not thinking of Pokémon in the same way one thinks about WarHammer40K: A mess of violence and destruction where death tolls are at catastrophic levels and all the detizens are violent killing machines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    Pardon me for posting my reply while you were busy editing. >_>
    I edited it a full six minutes before you posted that.

But that's irrelevant. Point is, I can't really explain the Safari Zone since it goes against everything I know of the dangers of battling pokemon without protection. I suppose we can go by what HGSS tells us, that you do indeed take your pokemon with you, but I'm a bit hesitant to use that as an explanation.

Also, I don't think of them as Warhammer 40K (I don't play 40K so I don't fully grasp the comparison) but I see them as wild animals with intelligence that equals or surpasses humans.

With the ability to shoot lightning from their cheeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast