• Other

18 35.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Replacement Mascot

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Best Replacement Mascot

It's a fact that Pikachu is mediocre at best, even with the light ball, due to its shallow movepool and not poor stats (the same goes to its evolved form, Raichu). With Game Freak refusing to improve him, it's time for the company to replace him with another cute Pokemon (one who is actually decent in battles when in their full evolved forms). The choice is yours on who will be a fine replacement as the franchise's mascot.
    Last edited by Ghetsis-Dennis; 2nd March 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Replacement Mascot

This thread isn't quite "Contest Hall" material, because it's not competing all the Pokemon against one another. It could easily fit into the main Pokemon World thread. I will move there immediately.

With that said, I am surprised you missed out Clefairy, the mascot that was considered before Pikachu was chosen. If you see the Pocket Monsters manga in Japan, you might see signs of this, because one of the main characters is a rather rude Clefairy (Pikachu's there too, but not always at spotlight). I would've chosen Clefairy, because I like that Pokemon, although I could understand why they didn't go for that Pokemon.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It was a hard decision...but I picked Togepi.

I had a hard time deciding between Togepi, Marill, and Minccino. Togepi because of Misty's Togepi, Marill because of it's infamous "Pikablu" status, and Minccino because it seems to be one of the "faces" of Gen V. But in the end, Togepi won out because it's my favorite out of those three.

I didn't think about how able they were in battle, though. Unfortunately Togepi would be the worst out of those three orz.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    With that said, I am surprised you missed out Clefairy, the mascot that was considered before Pikachu was chosen. If you see the Pocket Monsters manga in Japan, you might see signs of this, because one of the main characters is a rather rude Clefairy (Pikachu's there too, but not always at spotlight). I would've chosen Clefairy, because I like that Pokemon, although I could understand why they didn't go for that Pokemon.
    I was going to put Clefairy on the list, but then I'm reminded that the Reniculus family outclassed her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I fail to see how the majority of the Pokémon in the poll are better than Pikachu competitively. Most of them are viable in LC, of which Pikachu does not have the requirements for, which makes comparisons hard (and unjustified).

For example:
    Togepi is absolute garbage. Marill without Huge Power is a terrible Pokémon with Base 20 attacking stats. Ralts doesn't have a Base stat over 45.

Munchlax is like, the only one that can do better in a competitive environment in my opinion.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    I fail to see how the majority of the Pokémon in the poll are better than Pikachu competitively. Most of them are viable in LC, of which Pikachu does not have the requirements for, which makes comparisons hard (and unjustified).

For example:
    Togepi is absolute garbage. Marill without Huge Power is a terrible Pokémon with Base 20 attacking stats. Ralts doesn't have a Base stat over 45.

Munchlax is like, the only one that can do better in a competitive environment in my opinion.
    You're missing the point of this poll. The determination of these Pokemon for the best mascot replacement is based on the status of their fully evolved form in the competitive battle.

For example:
    Togepi evolves into Togekiss, the best normal/flying type in the series so far. Azumarill can kick arse thanks to huge power. If you have a male Ralts, you can evolve it into Gallade, who while suffering from competition with Lucario, can still be a good Pokemon at his own right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    You're missing the point of this poll.
    It's a fact that Pikachu is mediocre at best, even with the light ball, due to its shallow movepool and not poor stats. With Game Freak refusing to improve him, it's time for the company to replace him with another cute Pokemon (one who is actually decent in battles). The choice is yours on who will be a fine replacement as the franchise's mascot.
    What point? It doesn't mention the Poké being fully evolved at all. I can only suggest you make it a bit more clearer as to what you mean because it isn't obvious at all, especially as the poll is full of NFE's.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What point? It doesn't mention the Poké being fully evolved at all. I can only suggest you make it a bit more clearer as to what you mean because it isn't obvious at all.
    I suspected everyone to know what I'm talking about because I'm trying to avoid using full evolved forms as mascot replacement (after getting some complaints for that idea), so I instead use their pre-evolved forms.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Eevee. Tons of evolution forms could lead to some really interesting plot development to enhance the strong story

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow gryffindor1991 on Tumblr

None, I'd prefer it to stay Pikachu because Pikachu is awesome.
    3ds FC: 3454-1523-2870
    Pokemon X ign: Joe
    Dark friend safari

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suspected everyone to know what I'm talking about because I'm trying to avoid using full evolved forms as mascot replacement (after getting some complaints for that idea), so I instead use their pre-evolved forms.
    Okay, so you're using their fully evolved forms to compare against Pikachu competitively, who isn't fully evolved.

The comparisons you're making aren't really that fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was going to put Clefairy on the list, but then I'm reminded that the Reniculus family outclassed her.
    I should point out that Cleffa is a decent TCG card, because its effect is very good. Currently, in the HeartGold & SoulSilver expansion (meaning it's still usable now as it hadn't been obsoleted by being "rotated out"), its move puts all cards back in the deck (no matter how many you have), but in return, you get six new cards. Best part is that this move doesn't have any Energy requirement, so you can use it for free. As a baby Pokemon, it has the privilege of having the ability to not be harmed while it is asleep. Guess what? That move automatically puts it to sleep. It also has no retreat cost, so it can be exchanged with another Pokemon in the bench any time if it chooses to. One of the more flexible cards, although there's the 50% chance of waking on the opponent's is a risk (getting out of a bad hand definitely makes the effect worthwhile). Also, I take a liking for Clefable because of its massive movepool and generally being a flexible 'mon (for example, it can be a team healer with Wish and Aromatherapy), and being under-loved in general.

It's interesting to note that while Pikachu have always been the mascot, each Generation gave us some other Pokemon that is also treated like mascots because they are prominently starred (so you get to see merchandise with them). Take for example, during the Diamond and Pearl saga, Piplup is prominently starred in the anime, and I guess that is good for you because Empoleon is a great Pokemon in competitive battling. Togepi was Misty's Pokemon in the anime, and while there was no Togekiss at that time, was treated as such.

Thanks for reading.

(Before you ask, neither of the current two Solosis cards have such useful effect (one of them can summon another Solosis in the deck as a move), and it is as frail as Cleffa (30HP), and neither have any immunity)
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay, so you're using their fully evolved forms to compare against Pikachu competitively, who isn't fully evolved.

The comparisons you're making aren't really that fair.
    Would it be fair enough if I mention Raichu, which I just did?

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like

Togepi pretty much was the mascot of the series for Johto, it completely over shone Pikachu in that series, and when I say to people can you think of any Johto Pokemon, the only ones they know are the 3 starters and Togepi, I'd say Totodile came pretty close though.

Similarly Piplup was pretty much the mascot while in Sinnoh. In Hoenn, there wasnt really one, as to my knowledge but I suppose Mudkip had that meme.

As for Unova, it's Oshawott, although recently he's not appeared as much, early on he always appeared and everyone loved him. So yeah, water starters seem to do well as Mascots, only poor Squirtle never really got that much attention.

Also towards the end of the Kanto region and the Orange Islands, Charizard was way more focused on than Pikachu and became almost similar to a mascot

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Pikachu needs to be replaced. The purpose of the mascot is basically to sit there, look cute, and be recognizable, and Pikachu is by far the best known Pokémon. If it was going to be replaced, though, I think a Unova Pokémon would be best, and Axew is probably the best choice. It can do the mascot job just fine, but Haxorus is great too. (I'm hoping for a shiny one.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast