Best Grass type starter - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which region had the best Grass type starter?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kanto (Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur)

86 23.82%
  • Johto (Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium)

68 18.84%
  • Hoenn (Treecko, Grovile, Sceptile)

121 33.52%
  • Sinnoh (Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra)

78 21.61%
  • Unova (Snivy, Servine, Serperior)

8 2.22%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best Grass type starter

Registered User King of Lucario's Avatar

Default Re: Best Grass type starter

Hard to pick really...all four of them have attributes that I am fond of, whilst having certain attributes that knock them down a few pegs to balance it out. If I had to pick one though, I'd choose the Chikorita line due to Aromatherapy, the Screen moves, nice stats overall and consistently good appearance and design throughout the line.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Sceptile. Seriously, why did everyone say venesaur? Ever tried playing trough a Kanto game with it? really hard. Same for Meganium. Venesaur also sucks competatively, other then Sceptile. Torterra is also nice, but slow plus a 4x weakness to ice doesn't help him. The poll was which one is the best, not which one is your favourite...

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mijzelffan View Post
    Sceptile. Seriously, why did everyone say venesaur? Ever tried playing trough a Kanto game with it? really hard. Same for Meganium. Venesaur also sucks competatively, other then Sceptile. Torterra is also nice, but slow plus a 4x weakness to ice doesn't help him. The poll was which one is the best, not which one is your favourite...
    To be fair though, Venusaur in RGBY/FrLg was actually the best starter to get through the game with, as he had an advantage over five gyms and a neutrality to one.

On the other hand, Sceptile is pretty bad against Steven, which is something it doesn't have in common with it's Hoenn counterpart starters.

As for competitive uses, Venusaur and Sceptile are both in the UU tier and are both very useful there as long as you stick to their strengths (Venusaur as an annoyer/tank and Sceptile as a sweeper.) It's also worth noting that Venusaur is alot more versitile than Sceptile due to the sheer number of roles he can play in a team (sweeper (albeit not a jaw dropping one,) tank, physical wall, special wall, annoyer, choice item user, etc.) Sceptile can really only do two things (sweep, subseed) although he does both very well

Meganium's got Sceptile beat when it comes to defensive and supporting moves and Torterra is an excellent physical tank (only really fearing Ice Punch/Shard and Avalanche from the physical side of the spectrum.)

I don't think any of the Grass starters inherently "suck." Some (like Sceptile) are just more straightforward in their use (kick ass and take names) while others (Venusaur) require more patience and strategy in order to use them properly.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Bulbasaur gets my vote.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaranite View Post
    Bulbasaur gets my vote.
    Says the guy with Chikorita as his avatar...
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Bulbasaur and it's evolutions definitely. Treecko and it's evolutions would come in second, but as for the Johto and Sinnoh grass starters? (Actually just really their starters in general, not just grass.) I'm not too big on them.
    |Deviantart|Fanfiction|
    •Contestshipping(Drew/May)
    •Egoshipping(Gary/Misty)

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    To be fair though, Venusaur in RGBY/FrLg was actually the best starter to get through the game with, as he had an advantage over five gyms and a neutrality to one.

On the other hand, Sceptile is pretty bad against Steven, which is something it doesn't have in common with it's Hoenn counterpart starters.

As for competitive uses, Venusaur and Sceptile are both in the UU tier and are both very useful there as long as you stick to their strengths (Venusaur as an annoyer/tank and Sceptile as a sweeper.) It's also worth noting that Venusaur is alot more versitile than Sceptile due to the sheer number of roles he can play in a team (sweeper (albeit not a jaw dropping one,) tank, physical wall, special wall, annoyer, choice item user, etc.) Sceptile can really only do two things (sweep, subseed) although he does both very well

Meganium's got Sceptile beat when it comes to defensive and supporting moves and Torterra is an excellent physical tank (only really fearing Ice Punch/Shard and Avalanche from the physical side of the spectrum.)

I don't think any of the Grass starters inherently "suck." Some (like Sceptile) are just more straightforward in their use (kick ass and take names) while others (Venusaur) require more patience and strategy in order to use them properly.
    yeah, the gyms weren't that of a problem, but the league was something else, especially Gary. Venusaur has no neutral moves (=non grass type) except for tackle, which makes both pidgeot and charizard hard to beat. And Steven is pretty easy, 4 of his 6 pokémon take neutral damage from leaf blade, and kyogre/groudon can be used for the other two. And in Emerald it really is a piece of a cake to beat him.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mijzelffan View Post
    yeah, the gyms weren't that of a problem, but the league was something else, especially Gary. Venusaur has no neutral moves (=non grass type) except for tackle, which makes both pidgeot and charizard hard to beat. And Steven is pretty easy, 4 of his 6 pokémon take neutral damage from leaf blade, and kyogre/groudon can be used for the other two. And in Emerald it really is a piece of a cake to beat him.
    Venusaur has a type advantage against Loreli (who uses mostly water pokemon) and Bruno (Poison resists fighting) as well as a neutrality to Agatha. It can also take out three of Gary's pokemon without a problem and if Sceptile can have Kyogre/Groudon help him against Steven, then Venusaur can have the Birds help him against Gary.

Both of them are at a disadvantage against Lance/Drake, landing neutral hits on two of their pokemon (Gyarados and Aerodactyl/Flygon and Kingdra in Emerald) and being resisted by three (two Dragonairs and a Dragonite/Salamence, Shelgon and Altaria)

Oh, and Eartquake, Return, Sludge Bomb and Double Edge say hi
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 19th August 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

I said Chikorita. It's the most personally appealing to me of the four, plus its mono-Grass type gives it the edge over the Bulbasaur line, since it removes its weakness to Psychic. While this admittedly does produce a weakness to Poison, I find a Psy weakness to be a lot more problematic than a Poison weakness.

Also, Lv 8 Razor Leaf ftw.
    Soundspeed on Fanfiction.net: Discover the ramblings of my mind.

i think everyone is non found of grass types because of there strategic uses & no real powermoves in the beginning but i like grass types always have one(or bug type) at least

i choose treecko as #1

but i still like bulba & turtwig but i was never fond of chikorita (but still like chiko just less than the others)

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Chikorita! It's so cuuuute. <3

Bulbasaur is a close second though.

Blog Entries

how is venasaur 2nd place? it sucks assssssssssss.....
    almost everything is super effective on it

earth, fire, psychic, ice, flying, dragon, steel list goes on

but sceptile with Dragon Dance and Leaf Blade and Earth Quake = GG for others cuz of sceptile's speed etc.

toreterra isnt half bad too

so i go sceptile

My favourite is the Turtwig line. I chose it as my starter in both Diamond and Platinum because Torterra is awesome.

MY least favourite is the Bulbasaur line as whilst Bulbasaur and Ivysaur are both quite cool, VBenusaur is just too ugly...wait wrong word with those warts the word I want is Diseased.

Thanks to my Best Friend Kieko4eva for the banner.

Old-school Poké-communist Aeneas's Avatar

Very hard poll. I could have voted for anyone. I finally decided to choose the Chikorita line.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast