Battling Outside the Box, or Pokemon MacGyvering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battling Outside the Box, or Pokemon MacGyvering

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Question Battling Outside the Box, or Pokemon MacGyvering

Remember the "Aim for the horn" trick in the anime? It sounds silly, and Brock's explanation is a bit far-fetched...at first. But with basic knowledge of neuroscience and electrical engineering, it made enough sense for the games to reference it with the Rhyhorn family's Lightningrod ability. The idea of using weak points in the Pokemon and the environment around them in battle has intrigued me, and so I propose a challenge.

I will give you a difficult battle scenario or trap from which you must emerge victorious. The catch is that your only Pokemon is a Machoke, and your character has just graduated from high school [as opposed to having thirty-odd years of experience]. Special knowledge that your character could use to solve the problem will be divulged in the problem itself.
    The idea is to improvise a solution to the given problem that is:
    1. plausible. Grabbing a "conveniently misplaced" Azure Flute and summoning Arceus is not plausible. tl;dr: Don't pull it out of your ass.
    2. inventive. Simply finding the opponent's weakness(es) and attacking them with STAB-boosted super-effective moves is effective, but not inventive.
    3. causes the LEAST amount of harm to yourself, your trusty Machoke, and any bystanders. Think of it like the recent Ghostbusters games, in which you get a higher score for not destroying everything in your path.

You can only take 1 in-universe hour of advance preparations for a Gym Battle, and traps have no preparation time. Of course, you can and should think about your idea before posting, but it must involve things that you and your Machoke could do with at most an hour of preparation beforehand.

It's a low-stakes challenge: the best response will get a like. If this succeeds, I may continue it.

Let's start:

GYM BATTLE:
    You are facing off with an Electric-type Gym Leader named Raileigh. Railiegh, as his name might imply, is obsessed with trains, and his gym's arena is on top of an electric subway. The train follows an oval track, and the locomotive is controlled by a speed-regulating computer program; it has no human driver. You went to a computer-programming camp in high school, but your skills are rusty. What do you do?

Default Re: Battling Outside the Box, or Pokemon MacGyvering

forget your question its hurting my head lets discuss how pokemon moves can use in unorthodox ways e.g flamethrower heating up field burning anything that walks or surf could flood the field

Not to be rude, but I set this up as a puzzle thread. This is about using moves--including that of your "character"--in unorthodox ways, just in a specific situation. Maybe it would work better if it was moved to Role Playing or something along those lines. You're actually on a good track (pun intended), though. Here's a hint:
    Think with basic physics. Your Machoke is heavy and strong; if the Pokedex is to be believed, almost as strong as the train. Electric types, on the other hand, are not.

hi

Too complicated, didn't read.

I have this cool combo move I created for Big Turtle (my Blastoise).

He would first use seismic toss and throw the Pokemon into the air. Then he would use hydro pump to push them further up. Then, just before they hit the ground he skull bash them on the side.

Don't know if that's actually what you wanted from people but I thought that was a pretty outside the box thinking move.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

You're missing the point; take the time to read before you comment. This is about lateral-thinking puzzles, not simple anime-style battling. Besides, anime-style battling requires a specific environment in which to work, which I gave you. If you want, I'll discontinue the thread, but I'm not changing it to an "interesting combo" thread, because that's something entirely different.
    Last edited by Heatmor C. Dawson; 7th September 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    forget your question
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Too complicated, didn't read.
    If you two aren't going to contribute to thread in the way that Heatmor has asked people to, then I kindly ask you not to post at all. It's fairly disrepectful to ignore (and to acknowledge that you are purposely ignoring aswell) what the thread owner wanted people to discuss. If you want to discuss the topics that you have put forward please go make your own thread for it instead of doing it here.

If either of you wish to speak to me about this then feel free to send me a PM.

hi

-_-
    Alright, then I have Machoke beat the crap out of his Pokemon. Okay, it's not inventive but it is effective.

No?

Fine...

I have my Machoke dig a hole in the ground then throw the guy's Pokemon in the hole and put more dirt in to keep the Pokemon trapped (keeping the opponent Pokemon's head above the ground mind you). That way it will be hard for the Pokemon to get out of the ground and also be hard to use electric attacks since the charge will be absorbed by the ground. So, unless it knows dig, my Machoke can then punch it in the face until it faints or wait for the Pokemon to use up all it's energy trying to dig it's way out making it vulnerable when it digs it's way out of the ground.

How was that? Was that OKAY?
    Heatmor C. Dawson likes this.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    -_-
    I have my Machoke dig a hole in the ground then throw the guy's Pokemon in the hole and put more dirt in to keep the Pokemon trapped (keeping the opponent Pokemon's head above the ground mind you). That way it will be hard for the Pokemon to get out of the ground and also be hard to use electric attacks since the charge will be absorbed by the ground. So, unless it knows dig, my Machoke can then punch it in the face until it faints or wait for the Pokemon to use up all it's energy trying to dig it's way out making it vulnerable when it digs it's way out of the ground.

How was that? Was that OKAY?
    Yeah, that's okay. Come to think of it, if you buried them on the tracks before the train started, they'd get run over. Crude, but effective. I'll wait until I get more legitimate answers, but for now, your idea is good enough.

hi

Well, I wasn't going to bury him on the train tracks. What am I, a psychopath?

If it's any comfort to you, MY solution would be to hack the speed controls or have Machoke punch the front of the train, suddenly stopping it and letting momentum do the work for me. I don't think this thread is working very well, so you'll get the like and I'll discontinue this.

I would hack the trains tracks simply to slow it down, just so that my machoke can knock it over. By slowing it down, it won't kill anyone, but I would use the chaos to my advantage.
    In the middle of the confusion, my machoke can wait in the darkness. As an electric type Pokemon, it wouldn't be effective to shock it with the wires. I could wire everything to make little fireworks, or "distractions". Machoke can use the distractions themselves to attack.

Damaged quite a bit of property, but I think this is an interesting thread. I want to see more puzzles.
    My official Black 2 team.

Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Providing it's the last Pokémon.

Get your Machoke to manually stop the train with it's massive strength. Due to one of Newton's laws, the other Pokémon will be thrown off the train because of the equal and opposite force applied to it. From there it is defenceless for Machoke to use Fissure on it (which it learns via TM in Gen 1)
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Verona View Post
    I would hack the trains tracks simply to slow it down, just so that my machoke can knock it over. By slowing it down, it won't kill anyone, but I would use the chaos to my advantage.
    In the middle of the confusion, my machoke can wait in the darkness. As an electric type Pokemon, it wouldn't be effective to shock it with the wires. I could wire everything to make little fireworks, or "distractions". Machoke can use the distractions themselves to attack.

Damaged quite a bit of property, but I think this is an interesting thread. I want to see more puzzles.
    Providing it's the last Pokémon.

Get your Machoke to manually stop the train with it's massive strength. Due to one of Newton's laws, the other Pokémon will be thrown off the train because of the equal and opposite force applied to it. From there it is defenceless for Machoke to use Fissure on it (which it learns via TM in Gen 1)
    Late to the punchline, but good enough. I'll see if I can think of a few more for later.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can we make our own and put them in here too?
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    Can we make our own and put them in here too?
    Please do! I'm kind of slow on ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast