Attacks you think are pointless or wrongly typed - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacks you think are pointless or wrongly typed

Archosaur Enthusiast Spikeheila's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Attacks you think are pointless or wrongly typed

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
    I think that Bite should've stayed as a Normal typed move. I don't know why GF made it into a Dark type move in Gen II.
    That is because biting an opponent in battle is a really cheap and a bit of a dirty tactic instead of fighting toe to toe regularly, at least that is what I got out of it.

Lt.
    Blog Entries

i never find use in anything that changes stats exept accuracy or evasivness, i know alot of people "setup" their mons, but i just see it as a missed turn.

also protect, theres 2 uses for that, a cheap block for moves that charge, and to stall and let badly poisoned buld up, and i still look at it as a missed attack

Blog Entries

Curse (Ghost-type) is a move that backfires too easily. It costs the user half of its total HP, thus making it easier to get knocked out or knocking itself out if it has already taken damage, and the effect on the foe can easily be cancelled by switching out.

Blog Entries

EXPLOSION!!!

^What he said. Curse. Not sure why they made that move. Is Pokemon trying to encourage suicide? o_o
    CLAMIMED: Loves to eat!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DracoMan View Post
    Curse (Ghost-type) is a move that backfires too easily. It costs the user half of its total HP, thus making it easier to get knocked out or knocking itself out if it has already taken damage, and the effect on the foe can easily be cancelled by switching out.
    Switch out problem can be solved by Mean Look, HP problem can be solved by Rest.

Blog Entries

Not really, because if the Ghost Pokemon uses Curse to deplete half its HP and its target attacks, the ghost can easily be knocked out with one hit. Then, even if it used Mean Look to trap its target in the battle, its effect will be cancelled out once the user falls.

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Curse is a wonderful ingame move against gym leaders or other powerful trainers. They won't switch most of the time. You just have to know how to use it. Saved my butt tons of times.

追放されたバカ

Most moves I think are wrongly typed are due to semantic reasons.

Earthquake, Thunder, Blizzard, Sandstorm etc etc. An individual organism should not be able to cause natural occurring events.

Get ready for my massive essay...

Well, Curse is a sweet move non-ghost type. As Ghost say you used Shadw claw on me, I have no use of my Gengar now, it's got barely any HP and you'll definatley survive my next attack. CURSE. So I atleast deal 1/4 of your HP, so it makes it easier for my sweeper I'm gonna switch out.

Quote Originally Posted by ιɴsσмиιαc View Post
    Also both Momento and Lunar Dance ARE useful, you just haven't found a strategy useful for them.

Anyways I think Comet, and Mega punch should have been Fighting, same with Mega Kick, Disable should have been a Psychic move and same with Psych Up.

That's all I've got.
    Mega Kick is just a hard kick, Disable could be like me charlie horsing you so you can't Hi Jump Kick me. Psych Up, honestly thought it was psychich.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    I think Transform and Metronome are wrongly typed. There's nothing "Normal" about being able to completely change one's shape and powers at a whim. As to what type they should be, I don't know. Psychic or Dark maybe?
    Remember, Normal Types are the Default type basically, and transform isn't really a psychich move, as Normal types are gimmick/unique in their own way. Metronome isn't psychich because it doesn't really have anything to do with ESP(Extra Sensory Perception), you just stimilate your brainwaves-a normal thing to do.

Not really, because if the Ghost Pokemon uses Curse to deplete half its HP and its target attacks, the ghost can easily be knocked out with one hit. Then, even if it used Mean Look to trap its target in the battle, its effect will be cancelled out once the user falls.
    If you use it at full HP you probably have some sort of pokemon disabling brain tumor. Or you're 9 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Izumoshep View Post
    Most moves I think are wrongly typed are due to semantic reasons.

Earthquake, Thunder, Blizzard, Sandstorm etc etc. An individual organism should not be able to cause natural occurring events.
    Nope, pokemon aren't natural at all sometimes, and remember they are like, super powered animals. They have certain ties with nature, or natural abilities, or abilities from something else.
    tl;dr: Call me the WeeabooBane

Heart Gold - 3997 0625 9078 (Shakail)

Platinum - 1334 1797 6677 (Dain)

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by RedLemon View Post
    Nope, pokemon aren't natural at all sometimes, and remember they are like, super powered animals. They have certain ties with nature, or natural abilities, or abilities from something else.
    Thunder - The deep rumbling and sharp cracks of thunder are produced as the air around the lightning bolt is super heated—up to 60,000 degrees Fahrenheit (33,315 C)—and rapidly expands.
    Earthquake - The movement of tectonic plates
    Blizzard - Cold Air, Moisture, and Warm air rising over cold air, a individual pokemon would not be able to produce these by themselves.
    Sandstorm - Sandstorms are caused by strong winds blowing over loose soil or sand, and picking up so much of that material that visibility is reduced....Pokemon could do this is a desert, but not anywhere else.

Not possible by Pokemon, therefore are badly named. But then again this is a fictional universe, so anything is possible to the extent of Human imagination.

Blog Entries
    Follow Vaexa On Twitter

All moves have some use, IMO. Non-Ghost Curse is a very useful move for Pokémon with a low base Speed stat, and Ghost Curse can actually give you something like a last-resort weapon.

However, there are 2 moves which are totally pointless IMO:

Last Resort: I don't know what to think of this; It can be used as a finishing blow, but nothing really special.

Splash: Do I even need to explain this?

This is all based on my own opinion, so some people might disagree. I don't care.
    Everything is possible in the game of life.

Spiderweb, since Ariados gets Mean Look anyway. I think we could safely take Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, and Doubleslap and eliminate two of them from existence. Same goes for any other moves have the same type and effect as another move- do we really need leer AND tail whip? Or foresight and odor sleuth? Or spore and sleep powder? I mean I know there's the accuracy thing but still...

There are countless wrongly typed moves. For one thing, Game Freak needs to decide whether the word "Shadow" applies to ghosts or dark types. Shadow Claw is dark, Shadow Ball is ghost... I think Shadow Punch is ghost? I don't get how U-Turn has anything to do with bugs. Same with Silver Wind. I like that they finally gave bugs some good moves, just not that they made them weird for bugs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ella View Post
    Same goes for any other moves have the same type and effect as another move- do we really need leer AND tail whip? Or foresight and odor sleuth? Or spore and sleep powder?
    Well.... you know, not every pokemon who has can Leer has a tail.... And not every Foresight-capable pokemon has a good sense of smell.... you get what I'm trying to say.

I don't get how U-Turn has anything to do with bugs.
    Imo it doesn't seem to fit into any other type as well.

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ella View Post
    Shadow Claw is dark, Shadow Ball is ghost... I think Shadow Punch is ghost?
    Shadow Claw is Ghost-type. Why did you think it was Dark?
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Quote Originally Posted by AiedailEclipsed View Post
    Shadow Claw is Ghost-type. Why did you think it was Dark?
    Oh. Weird, could've sworn it was dark o wo

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast