All right, let's talk ancient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All right, let's talk ancient.

Default All right, let's talk ancient.

(If this is in the wrong area, throw down the lock and chastise me for me ignorance!)

With B/W out, we now have 17 different prehistoric Pokemon. And now I'm beginning to think more and more about that period of time when they weren't revived from fossils, but when they ruled the planet.

So, naturally, I think it would be cool to eventually have a Pokemon game that takes place in this pre-historic period of time. There would be a bunch of new fossil Pokemon, plus locations where they can be found normally in the wild.

Maybe that's a silly thought. What do you think?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All right, let's talk ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper Potion View Post
    So, naturally, I think it would be cool to eventually have a Pokemon game that takes place in this pre-historic period of time. There would be a bunch of new fossil Pokemon, plus locations where they can be found normally in the wild.
    Sounds good. I think it could just be a post-E4 locale or something, via time-machine (remember the Time Capsule from GSC? Imagine that, but for humans). Plus, it would get in the way of those prequel games chronicling the rise of our favorite Champions/Evil Team Leaders just begging to be made!

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

................you may have a idea there

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

might work one day..somehow

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

saw a thread on this on an image board once. A few people even said they were going to try and make a hack of it.

It's something I'd love to see. It'd be set in a region we already know, but it would be completly different. For example if it was Kanto, Viridian Forest would be twice as big, we'd have to climb rock tunnel instead of go through it, Saffron city would be a mere village. There would be shrines to Arceus everywhere.

The plot line could be epic. Of course, very few Legendary Pokemon could be involved, as some of their plot lines already state that they haven't been woken since like the dawn of time. It could give us more back story on Ho-oh and Lugia, the eon duos, perhaps the legendary birds. It could even be set in the time period when the seals were being put on the Regis.

The wild Pokemon, like you said, would consist of fossils, but also Pokemon that we already know. Magikarp would be strong, I can imagine that most grass Pokemon would still be very common etc. But they wouldn't be as we know them.

Literally, the only set back I can see with such a game would be that it'd be completly incompatible with others. The thing that excites me most is, that it's not entirely impossible that Nintendo aren't going to do it. Maybe when we get enough fossil Pokemon...

EDIT: It would also finally solve the mystery of the Unown. Why the Ruins of Alph / Tanoby Ruins / Solaceon Ruins were built/created, how humans and Unown once lived in harmony, and what happened that meant that balance was shifted and our connection to them was cut.
    Last edited by BlueNostalgia; 25th September 2010 at 07:16 AM.
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNostalgia View Post
    saw a thread on this on an image board once. A few people even said they were going to try and make a hack of it.

It's something I'd love to see. It'd be set in a region we already know, but it would be completly different. For example if it was Kanto, Viridian Forest would be twice as big, we'd have to climb rock tunnel instead of go through it, Saffron city would be a mere village. There would be shrines to Arceus everywhere.

The plot line could be epic. Of course, very few Legendary Pokemon could be involved, as some of their plot lines already state that they haven't been woken since like the dawn of time. It could give us more back story on Ho-oh and Lugia, the eon duos, perhaps the legendary birds. It could even be set in the time period when the seals were being put on the Regis.

The wild Pokemon, like you said, would consist of fossils, but also Pokemon that we already know. Magikarp would be strong, I can imagine that most grass Pokemon would still be very common etc. But they wouldn't be as we know them.

Literally, the only set back I can see with such a game would be that it'd be completly incompatible with others. The thing that excites me most is, that it's not entirely impossible that Nintendo aren't going to do it. Maybe when we get enough fossil Pokemon...

EDIT: It would also finally solve the mystery of the Unown. Why the Ruins of Alph / Tanoby Ruins / Solaceon Ruins were built/created, how humans and Unown once lived in harmony, and what happened that meant that balance was shifted and our connection to them was cut.
    Your ideas would be a good addition to the game.

Proud U.S. Army Soldier! Agent Cobalt's Avatar

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=226895

I'd like something like this.

The only problem is, if it's in the ancient past... there's no pokemon trainers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Cobalt View Post
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=226895

I'd like something like this.

The only problem is, if it's in the ancient past... there's no pokemon trainers.
    Maybe your character gets stuck in the past somehow, by celebi or something.

or it could just be like a mystery dungeon type game.

Proud U.S. Army Soldier! Agent Cobalt's Avatar

The character thing is fine, but the whole point of regular games is battling trainers. So unless it's one of those side games, I don't know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Cobalt View Post
    if it's in the ancient past... there's no pokemon trainers.
    Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that trainers could keep their Pokémon with them, similar to Ash and Pikachu. It's also possible, although I'm not entirely sure on this, that they are using Apricorns by this time. Kurt states that people used Apricorns before they used Poké Balls anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that trainers could keep their Pokémon with them, similar to Ash and Pikachu. It's also possible, although I'm not entirely sure on this, that they are using Apricorns by this time. Kurt states that people used Apricorns before they used Poké Balls anyway.
    Prof. Elm makes a similar note that people used to walk with Pokémon before the Poké Balls were invented. In other words, the things that set Ethan and Lyra apart from other modern trainers (using Apricorns and being followed by their Pokémon) were characteristic of every trainer in the distant past. Now, Apricorns may only go back 700 years back or so, but people have been able to forge a relationship with Pokémon for a very long time.

I don't think that Game Freak should develop a game that is set exclusively in the past, since that would limit the player's options. But using time travel to explore multiple periods in the history of a region like Johto, could bring more to the table than two regions did. In essence, it would be the next step from the seasonal changes introduced in Black and White, which offers some variation, but not nearly enough compared to the other possibilites out there. The player would still have access to technology, but they might be discrete when using it in the past, preferring to walk with their Pokémon instead.

In the main series, hardly anything has been done with Celebi, let alone with Dialga. Would another time travel Pokémon need to be introduced to be viewed as the mascot of a history-layered game? Not necessarily. Recent generations have shied away from unifying the mythos of all known regions, but HGSS actually made the Weather trio and more importantly Arceus, relevant to Johto. The DPPt games also deserve some credit for their attempt to do the same with the Unown and legendary birds, but it wasn't a serious attempt since Johto and Kanto were slated to return soon thereafter. This has made me wonder what Game Freak would do in the absence of remakes. Would the old Pokémon be given a new context?

Black and White have little to do with the old Pokémon, and I expect that theme to continue throughout Generation V so as to create a contrast with its predecessor. But what will happen in the next generation? Considering that the new games are set a few years after the Generation IV games, will more unseen time periods be explored from now on? In Isshu's case, the time period is little more than trivia, but a new region with actual ties to the older regions would be a different story. And we have seen a glimpse of one such region - the one where the Sinjoh Ruins are situated. In fact, the history of that region must be deeply intertwined with that of Johto, and to a slightly lesser extent Sinnoh's. Obviously, that region should have its unique characteristics, but those could be attributed to the fact that the ancient civilizations departed from their original regions long ago, and shaped the third region together. A game set in that region would be ideal for answering any number of mysteries pertaining to the distant past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Kurt tells you that people used Apricorns (Arceus knows how) to capture Pokémon before the invention of PokéBalls. It even says it in the anime. So one can picture a game without the modern items we're used to. I think this would be an excellent idea for a game... I've always wanted to know about the origins of the fossil Pokémon and legendaries...

The one downside to the Apricorn-PokéBalls would be that the story would have to take place in Johto, because Apricorns don't grow in any other region.

Avatar by Banebuu. Licky by Larxion. Banner by Sayi.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandslash-Trainer View Post
    The one downside to the Apricorn-PokéBalls would be that the story would have to take place in Johto, because Apricorns don't grow in any other region.
    There are a few Apricorn trees in Kanto as seen in Generation II and HGSS. The surrounding regions may even be more like Johto in that regard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandslash-Trainer View Post
    Again, not necessarily. Plants can become (practically) extinct in one area, while thrive in another. For example, much of the United States used to be covered in oaks and other large trees, but as the westward-moving settlers came through, they cut down most of those trees (at least in Texas), allowing other trees to move in (such as the Juniper/Cedar tree, and the Mesquite tree).

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like Unown Lord said, the Pokeball / Apricorn problem could easily be avoided by just treating Pokemon like pets. There could be some new method of capture, by befreinding instead of battling.

I personally think that the games would be best set in Johto and Kanto, like HG and SS only thrown back a couple of millenia. The creation of Cinnabar Island, as the volcano erupts, could be a major plot point. I honestly would love to see a game like this.
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast