About Jynx

Thread: About Jynx

Default About Jynx

I don't know where else to put this so pardon my ignorance:

on Bulbapedia it says Jynx is based off of Nordic woman, but wouldn't it make more sense that Jynx was based off of Yuki-Onna (the snow woman) with ganguro influences? It makes much more sense since Jynx is part Ice...

Also I would say Farfetch'd is based off of the folklore about the "Onion duck," a wild duck which gives itself to lost forest travelers, it carries a sprig of leek with it so they can cook it
    Last edited by redchesus; 12th July 2005 at 02:51 PM.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

This article on Jynx from NationMaster seems to agree with your theory on Jynx. I never understood the racial stereotype controversy over this character, though. Yes, she has a black face. But she doesn't act in a manner that any sane person would consider offensive to their race.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Racial stereotype is simple.

Black face. Blonde hair. Big boobs. Kissing connotation.

Many whores have bleached or dyed blonde (fake) hair. The black face causes peopel to jump to the conclusion that it's not any whore but a Black whore. The big boobs thing is obvious, and the fact that Jynx is notorious for its kiss--well, need I say more?
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Your explanation makes some sense, but it still is a reach. Only the truly hypersensitive would take offense. There are worse racial stereotypes on prime time TV.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

I'll move this one to Pokémon World, it seems to fit more there than General Discussion.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I don't know. "What pokémon are based of..." is more of a GD thing...I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

I thought GD was more focused at Pokémon as a hobby. *shrugs*

In the same way that say, Pikachu is two concepts in one (Mouse that can shoot electricity) or Bonsly (Bonsai/petrified tree), it would seem that Jynx = Yuki-Onna + black woman.

I'm not saying that it's purposefully racist or deragatory, more like they thought "Hey, what would a black Yuki-Onna be like" would be a harmless or interesting idea in the same way that one would think the idea of a fire-breathing echidna would be a good idea.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

The odd thing is, the ganguro fashion thing is intended to imitate Caucasians (tan & blonde California girls), the fad itself seems to be an overstatement, as then they would put on white make-up on their lips and eyes to look even more ridiculous

I really don't think the designers would be designing a kids' character after African-American prostitutes

Blog Entries

so if it was real
    and a trainer were to catch one
    would it have clothes in the wild?
    LJ - Twin Suns, my band - Solo Project-
    Please take a listen to my music. I'd REALLY appreciate your input and support

Blog Entries

What I don't get about Jynx is all the episodes they had to ban simply because of her appearance.. is it really too much for 4Kids, who is so paint edit happy that they meticulously change any trace of the evil Japanese writing on signs and the like, to change Jynx purple?
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!