In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Your favourite Saga, shippings-wise?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Series.

21 42.00%
  • Advanced Generation.

26 52.00%
  • Diamond and Pearl.

11 22.00%
  • Best Wishes.

6 12.00%
  • I like them all equally.

5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime?

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Default Re: In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime?

@CommanderPigg; why cross out AshxShooti? AshxShooti is hawt :3

The original series really only had a handful of ships like Pokeshipping, Rocketshipping and Palletshipping going for it (in comparison to later sagas where there were much more ships to choose from), but considering I love all three of those I had a lot of fun with it.

AG was really awesome with all the contest drama. So many great interactions between all the characters. Contestshipping, Tensionshipping, and Cookieshipping were all really fun to ship and I still ship them to this day. There was just so much friction and tension between all the coordinators and I absolutely loved it.

DP had a lot of great opportunities too. The fun ships didn't come from the contests this time (at least for me) but from the rivals. Paul, Barry, Conway, characters like Lyra and Khoury, just so many choices and all so much fun.

Best Wishes, oh man, don't even get me started. There are soooo many ships here that I absolutely love. Cilan/Ash, Cilan/Iris, Ash/Iris, Cilan/Burgundy, Iris/Georgia, Burgundy/Georgia, Ash/Bianca, Cilan/Bianca, Ash/Trip, Bianca/Georgia, Ash/Stephan, and even more besides that. I have waaay too much fun with all these ships and I just love watching things like the Don tournaments because even if the battles aren't exactly amazing, the number one reason I watch this show is for the interactions, and the interactions and shipping potential between all these characters is just fucking awesome.

So while I love shipping in all of them, I think Best Wishes wins for me.
    Last edited by Insanish Danish; 23rd April 2012 at 11:54 PM.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    BW has a lot of really quality pairs (Dento/Cabernet, Iris/Langley, Ash/Shooti, Bel/Langley, Ash/Kenyan). I don't know why I don't invest so much time into them as I probably would have in the past, not enough tension, perhaps? (because a lot of them are pretty comical and non-serious) Either way, yeah, it'd be interesting if Brock or Misty had recurring rivals.
    I notice its a theme in the fandom overall. I don't know if its the fact that everyone is older now or what, but none of the BW pairings seem to have the huge followings that all past saga ships had. Iris/Cilan is really the only pairing that I notice has a lot of Japanese fanart.

I remember lurking all those old Japanese fanart sites during the tail-end of AG and during the DP era and seeing tons of stuff. Now not as much.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    @CommanderPigg; why cross out AshxShooti? AshxShooti is hawt :3
    Because! He's supposed to be the main rival...that shipping is supposed to be awesome, but it's so disappointing to me in comparison to PalletShipping and Comashipping XD

That's my problem with a lot of BW ships. They're cute and hawt and there are plenty of them but I just can't invest emotionally in them (because of plot or character or just plain apathy on my part).

and @Gliscor'd ; the most popular paring in Best Wishes by Pixiv search is Ash x Cilan, no lie. And you can't discredit the game pairings (which admitedly, I'm not a huge follower of, but the SHEER AMOUNT of shipping pictures with N rivals ANY pairings that I've seen in the past).

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post

and @Gliscor'd ; the most popular paring in Best Wishes by Pixiv search is Ash x Cilan, no lie.
    I'm sure that makes someone a happy panda.XD

Yeah, running over the totals:
    Ash x Cilan (Satoden, or DenSato) has a combination of over 600+ pieces of fan-art.
    Cilan x Iris, has just reached about 300.
    Ash x Iris is sitting at a little over 100.

I'm surprised the latter doesn't have a larger following, then again Ash x Dawn by Pixiv count only has about 190. Not alot considering how Dawn was in the show for 4 years. Surprisingly, Comashipping didn't have alot either..not much over 100. I would have thought Ash x Paul be more popular.

I guess I would say OS, or Hoenn when when I shipped alot was my favorite ...reading through the debates back then was pretty fun. Looking back, all of the other series "acted" on ships. Poke, Contest, Brock/Holly/Lucy, and even Penguinshipping had scenes. In Best Wishes it just seems to be all aesthetics. Not really about "hints"...because the writers seem disinterested in shipping this saga. I could be proven wrong later of course.
    Last edited by Masurao; 21st April 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Yeah it's safe to say the Don battle tournaments serve as a semi-replacement for Contests now. That's why they're mostly about character interaction an have Iris and Cilan competing instead of just Ash. That's where the shipping potential comes from in BW.
    That's a smudge on Best Wishes. It does, in my view, have the potential, however, does it execute its own potential is the question.
    Sorry to do this, but as an example, I will use a recent moment in the Donamite. Shooti is after losing to Bel. He calls back his Conkeldurr, and mutters disappointedly that, at this rate, he'll never defeat Adeku. He glances at Ash, and Ash stares back, surprised. It's slightly tensionous. But not to a great extent.
    It is a fleeting moment. It's not brought up when Shooti leaves, and I've a feeling it will not be risen the next time they meet. Now, its not the only BW shipping to have a fleeting moment. It's just one I recall very well.

The tournaments in BW are a gift and curse. Firstly, they are a gift for all the shippings they bring together, ships are born from them (Spokeshipping, and SourGrapesShipping come to mind in particular), and a new host of interactions is created. Also, you do gain a lovely hint from some ships in them.
    However, they don't allocate enough for a shipping alone in comparsion to an episode with those two (or more) characters. Call it selfish, but I disliked that Langley and Cabernet didn't appear in the time between the two tournaments. Shippingly, that wasn't fantastic. Also, just because some of these ships have the potential, doesn't mean they have the appeals, hints or execution. I like Tournaments for ships, but not when you hardly see one of the characters outside of them. Which is why I'm glad Langley is appearing in BW081, by herself.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    I guess I would say OS, or Hoenn when when I shipped alot was my favorite ...reading through the debates back then was pretty fun. Looking back, all of the other series "acted" on ships. Poke, Contest, Brock/Holly/Lucy, and even Penguinshipping had scenes. In Best Wishes it just seems to be all aesthetics. Not really about "hints"...because the writers seem disinterested in shipping this saga. I could be proven wrong later of course.
    I sometimes wonder if its because back then people didn't think there would constantly be new girls every season. When AG was originally airing, there was no indication of how long May would last or what the future held for Misty. The fact that the main cast was still small enough that every main character met everyone else, (Misty met May and Max, May and Max also met Tracey), probably helped.

It wasn't until Dawn was revealed in those early DP adverts that people then realized there would be a new girl every season. The fact that we also "always knew Dawn was going to leave" didn't help.

Its why I strongly believe that had Cilan been introduced earlier in the series, like when DP was airing, he would be even more popular than he is now. I also think the DP trio would have been interesting if it were Ash/Dawn/Cilan....Cilan probably would have loved watching the contests. *shrug*

IIts why I strongly believe that had Cilan been introduced earlier in the series, like when DP was airing, he would be even more popular than he is now. I also think the DP trio would have been interesting if it were Ash/Dawn/Cilan....Cilan probably would have loved watching the contests. *shrug*
    I agree with this. Brock was for some reason was not shippable in DP even though he flirted with everyone for years. With Cilan, he's not in every girls face being a reck. So Cilan would have been a great addition earlier. Either him or Barry.

This is also why I think BW is a good shipping saga because Ash, Iris and Cilan are equally shippable and not just two of the main characters.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 22nd April 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    This is also why I think BW is a good shipping saga because Ash, Iris and Cilan are equally shippable and not just two of the main characters.
    I think BW is the first saga where the main girl isn't shipped heavily with Ash for once, but his travel companion.

You have to remember in the early days of AG nobody knew what was going to happen with Drew and Contestshipping was in its infancy, it didn't really become something people took notice of till the Wynaut ep and Hoenn Grand Festival. People looking back at it now will have a different experience than those of us who were watching AG as it was airing when we didn't know what was going to happen.

But hey, the Advanceshipping fandom is still going like 6 years later, so I guess that says something too.

Blog Entries

Overall, it seems like you'd have to align yourself with a particular ship to see "hints". This seems mainly true in Best Wishes, which certaintly isn't giving much in the way of blatant evidence with the main trio. Previous series had more obvious ones. Which is a bit strange given the fact the lead female is usually the one with the romance based sub-plot.
    Last edited by Masurao; 29th April 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    s. Which is a bit strange given the fact the lead female is usually the one with the romance based sub-plot.
    Probably has to do with the fact that Iris has shown no interest in love really, maybe pointing it out in the Cottonee episode, but she never talks about it. They made whole fillers where Misty or May would try to get filler characters together, (for Misty it was the two Nidoran in Orange Islands and their trainers, for May it was Romeo/Juliet in the Volbeat/Illumise episode), you don't really see stuff like that anymore.

I can't recall Dawn having any episodes like that either.

Blog Entries

I can't recall Dawn having any episodes like that either.
    Dawn commented on Piplup being in love, as well as Meowth. That's about it. Other than that you had Lyra trying to play matchmaker with Dawn/Khoury.

In BW Cilan's "Tasting time" gag, replaced Brock's flirting with women one.
    Last edited by Masurao; 30th April 2012 at 11:35 AM.

In Love With Snowmen Anikasnow6's Avatar

I liked AG. Not just because AdvanceShipping was awesome, but I also gotta give credit to ContestShipping and the others. The ships they made were both really good. The people who supported one just liked that kind of ship. Though it only centered around one pairing, there was a broad coverage, plus there were also other cool ships, like MasumiShipping (hooray!), ImageShipping, and a few others. It was cool.
    For BW and OS, I didn't really feel as if there was any shippiness going on. As for DP, they were also centered around one person (Dawn), but they were all basically the same.
    I support AdvanceShipping, LuckyShipping, ViridianShipping, FranticShipping, IkariShipping, BelleShipping, HyperShipping, and many other pairings.

For my money, going with the original series. The later seasons had more ships and were more shippy--which was all well and good--but the original series had two of my personal favorite ships: Pokeshipping and Rocketshipping. It seemed the most natural and sweet to me, not to mention it was the first time as a kid where I REALLY started to ship something. Plus, though I don't actually ship it, Palletshipping always made me laugh. I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

Later seasons were okay with ships, but nothing really left me squeeing quite like the OS.

I like the OS, mainly because of Misty. Ash/Misty is my OTP in Pokemon. It's sad she had to leave.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

I say that advance generation, just because of advanceshipping
    And on an unrelated news I'M BACK!!!

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast