In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Your favourite Saga, shippings-wise?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Series.

21 42.00%
  • Advanced Generation.

26 52.00%
  • Diamond and Pearl.

11 22.00%
  • Best Wishes.

6 12.00%
  • I like them all equally.

5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime?

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: In terms of shipping, what is your favourite Saga in the Anime?

Oh, sorry guys! I didn't even think of the special episodes when I made this. I hope you don't mind. ^^" If you do, you could vote on what Saga was running when they aired... My apologies, again.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well just going by how I personally ship it'd be AG and BW for me. :) For some reason, while there were multiple ships to support in DP I never got into it I kind of resented it a bit XD;

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Either OS or AG. Original series because of many cute romantic moments which shake things up making several episodes more vibrant adding extra flavor to it.While im not shipper myself i chuckled quite a few times and enjoyed in Misty romantic affection toward Ash trying to hide it which created fun, sweet/ innocent atmosphere and great interaction with several characters. Such as Melody,Rudy,Brock,Tracey(when being suspicious) TR etc.
    Or when Ash got crush on Giselle being one of very instances where he showed interest for some girl, and vice versa with some chasing after him.This includes TR too with Jessie and James having some noteworthy moments which made people starting to ship them, and of course who could forget Brock who flirted with almost every girl he encountered in some cases trying to go further(Suzy, dr,Anna from episode where Zubat evolved, Temaku which wanted to marry him etc comes to mind).But its not only that there used to exist several moments where romance was implied in one or another way between pokemon like Nidoranin love,Totodile and Snubull which were in love etc.

It contributed to that lighthearted and relaxing humor making anime more interesting to watch.

AG because it was quite rich in romance as well. I mean it was rather blatant how there existed hints between May and Drew setting strong groundwork for which people started to ship those characters.His arguing with May, provoking behavior and at times arrogance caused revolt between characters increasing humor while also bringing that cute side of it leaving positive influence on May character and her growth as person.

Now that i remember May was shipped with good chunk of characters aside from Drew, like Ash,Misty, Sid and Ash and Anabel pairing became quite popurar during that era too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Yeah, I think this is why Johto was so un-shippy. With the introduction of new characters and new rivals, there are more shipping possibilities.

Johto just stuck with the same old cast, and the only new character we got was Casey who only appeared in like 3 episodes. Since there were no new characters to ship with, all Johto had was a fading Pokeshipping and the few times Gary showed up, so there wasn't anything to talk about.
    There are plenty of shows which keep same cast and promote concept of romance much more heavily than pokemon does, so should we apply same argument to them? You can get plenty of romance with same characters if its taken somewhere, so i dont think lack of new companions was main problem for lack of romance in Johto to begin with. It had more to do with writers not knowing in what direction to take show at that time with Johto being their first experiment for long saga which needed to be stretched out and at that time i believe writers wanted to drift sway from romantic aspect and focus more on story and promotion of new pokemon which is in reality main purpose of this show.

Lets not accuse characters because of writers lack of experience.

As for pokeshipping it was kept alive with there existing implications during whole course of saga. I remember Misty getting jealous not only over Macy, but other characters too when they complimented on Ash looks(like one of nurse Joys for example). Or in episode with Snubull how she giggled when Ash talked about stars thinking how it was directed to her, or in"Heartbreak of Brock"when Misty talked with Brock about romance she said how "she knows how its to like someone without other side reciprocating same feelings back".
    Granted hints werent straightforward like it was case in early days when those two often argued, but it reached different dimension with Misty becoming more tolerant and teasing ad less violent matching maturity through which character went. Same goes for Ash he became less impulsive too, being prequel to his growth which was established in AG.

Pokeshipping wasnt prevalent and often like it used to be case in Kanto and OI, but it definitely existed with writers starting to increase romance in anime again by end of Johto and onwards in Hoenn.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 5th April 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So then why was Johto so un-shippy? Didn't Takeshi Shudo say something about this on his blogs?

It seems like when they thought the show was going to end with Kanto they didn't mind shipping, but once they knew the show was going to go on a long time they dropped it. I wonder if at the start of Johto they knew they would be removing Misty 3 years later, which by account as to why Pokeshipping was toned down. After all, why bother to build a plotline when you know one of those said characters would be removed from the show for the entire duration of the series run?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    So then why was Johto so un-shippy? Didn't Takeshi Shudo say something about this on his blogs?

It seems like when they thought the show was going to end with Kanto they didn't mind shipping, but once they knew the show was going to go on a long time they dropped it. I wonder if at the start of Johto they knew they would be removing Misty 3 years later, which by account as to why Pokeshipping was toned down. After all, why bother to build a plotline when you know one of those said characters would be removed from the show for the entire duration of the series run?
    Takeshi Shudo, going by his blogs denied any possibility of shipping ever existing finding it wouldnt be suitable for pokemon anime, so i doubt it would be much different if show ended after Kanto either considering he was in charge. But than again this is debatable, because some scenes he included were highly questionable indicating how writers werent necessary against idea of characters pairings as long things are left open ended not going further aside from occasional hits here and there to spice things up and add more comedy.

Also i doubt it even occurred to them replacing Misty when Johto started hence being reason why OI was so heavy on romantic hints, pokeshipping was still kept alive but to lesser extent, along with her departure being rushed leaving many things open in story indicating how decision came rather late. Before ratings dropped writers didnt even planned to replace characters not being until mid Johto when they had dilemma whether to replace female lead or Team Rocket.

Its also interesting how after mr. Shudo left position as pokemon head writer from Master Quest and onwards it seems other writers decided to increase concept of romance in pokemon again seeming to be more open toward it(quality also improved with sidekicks getting notable better treatment in last Johto season. I think writers themselves werent sure what to do being probably reason why they kept pokeshipping alive in Johto(though to lesser degree), and afterwards at tail end and in hosos(referring to questionable "A Date with Delcatty", with staff itself probably questioning if they will bring back first girl to anime again or not at that time.

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

Original series for it's rocketshipping but DP for everything else and a little bit of rocketshipping.

It's abit hard for me to answer this question this I hated romance until DP came along and I found out about fandom. It was great knowing I didn't have to take shipping seriously.

DP contains some of the most fun ships: coma, heattag, eva, ect. However over than a few bits, it contains very few cute scenes so choosing it alone seems abit unfair.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

Advance without a doubt :)
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries
    Follow Vioxx On Twitter Add Vioxx on Facebook
    Follow Vioxx on Tumblr

Shipping or no shipping I think it's the Original series for me. Although I like them fairly and equally. I kinda enjoy the original series and the hints back then. I also fell in love the different shipping when Advance Generation came and support new shipping when followed by Diamond and Pearl. And now I started to find new interesting ships in Black and White. I just can't say what's the best, but time after time, my sort of interest in a particular shipping changes..:)
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

#Multishipper #Hoping and Trying #Banner by Me #Fanarts by Teppo

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I voted both AG and DP. AG realistically had the biggest air of shippy-ness to it. Contestshipping vibes were all over the place like crazy, and it was boosted up further with Brianna who declared May a love rival, plus the misunderstanding when May got in the middle of the Erica/Joshua thing. Plus I ship plenty of other things stemming from AG, such as Drew/Harley (I will always believe Drew is a closet bi :P) and even Max/May. The AG Contest arc was just an awesome soap opera for kids.

DP contains my favorite 'ships even though it isn't very shippy canon-wise. HeatTagshipping was obvious one-sided shipping, Comashipping is alive and strong in the delusional minds of all its fans including myself. :P ColdCoffeeshipping was another one-sided awesomeness shipping, I loved the idea of Maylene crushing on Reggie, so more one-sidedness there (at least until Maylene gets older)! Plus Zoey/Candice, which was the new Appealshipping once it came about I swear. >D Ash got to be oblivious with an awkward tomboy, Angie, with MorpheusShipping... Dawn and May meeting created my favorite main girl/main girl shipping, SapphirePearlshipping. I also had a guilty pleasure for FireRedshipping (I just enjoyed Ash and Zoey's interaction; she's the only redhead girl I wanna see him with :P) and WhiteTruthshipping because Paul crushing on Cynthia is comical and awesome. Kinda liked HollowShipping because I liked Paul and Brock's interaction, and to a degree I even liked Ikarishipping and LOLed the few times they directly had a conversation together. Oh, and TeenCareshipping, aka the only real shipping I want for Brock.

So yeah, I'll make it easy for myself and just vote for those two series. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

I think the AG and BF series was good. The Contests for me made the shippings come together better because there was a balance between the competition and the interactions for the characters. I just find that when more than one person is doing something, there is better chemistries.

Blog Entries

Well I'm an advanceshipper, so I'd have to go with the AG series... which was my favorite in general anyways

I always felt that once the voices changed in the american dub, the series began to fall, and the DP saga didn't make things better :(

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

I voted DP and AG.

DP had so many different characters who had fun shippy interactions - HeatTag (Conway/Dawn), for example, will always be one of my favorite anime ships, even if it was only one sided with Conway. I was also fond of Morpheus (Ash/Angie) because I think it was pretty clear Angie at least crushed on Ash, though I regrettably didn't start liking this ship until way late in the series when I picked up on the show again. Curtain (Reggie/Maylene) I believe has some great potential for the future. To a lesser extent I liked Twinleaf and to an even lesser Penguin, which would have been promising had Kenny been even slightly less uninteresting. I only regret that I missed large portions of DP (as in, almost the entire first half) when I started college and therefore have only certain arcs and standalone episodes to give me insight here.

With AG, there were fewer ships, but the quality was significantly different - you had practically every female coordinator and Harley crushing on Drew (with May's relationship with Drew being focused on the most). Throughout the series, there's that tense rivalry that evolves into a friendly rivalry that culminates into what I echo Shinneth on being the Kanto Grand Festival Soap Opera. (Love rivalry? Sunset scene? Check!) Contest was the only ship I reeeeally got into in AG (I had some lesser ship interests), but with how well-executed and continuous it was, it ranks AG as one of my favorite shipping sagas, if not my favorite.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Ah, I'm evaluating all the Sagas still; I'm rather indecisive. I've obtained some interesting outlooks from all your replies, though, which some have made me think; they display intriguing notes on how one ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    The Contests for me made the shippings come together better because there was a balance between the competition and the interactions for the characters. I just find that when more than one person is doing something, there is better chemistries.
    I agree completely. Contests did allocate potential interactions, as it is a hotbed of Co-Ordinators all gathered to compete, they stayed in the same little waiting room together and explored on the grounds of the Contest with one another.
    The similar thing for trainers is Tournaments, however, they occured less often than contests did. I quite liked the introduction of contests as a whole in AG (and contuning this in DP), and the fact that you gained some interesting rivalries and, not to forget, ships out of them. I suppose I didn't like that about the OS; since it was more focused on Ash, and that Brock and Misty had no real rivals. Still, I'm undecided. I think I prefer the contest-inspired shippings in AG more, though (that's not to say I have no contest-related shippings in DP).

That's something I must give credit to BW for, in regards with rivalries; having a rival for the male companion. Whether you liked it or not, it sparked a shipping potential. You may differ on how it's executed, but since it is my OTP, I'll admit, I liked that choice. I also hope this Pinot Noir guy becomes a recurring rival, or another Sommelier. It'd be lovely to branch it out, generally and for shipping.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah it's safe to say the Don battle tournaments serve as a semi-replacement for Contests now. That's why they're mostly about character interaction an have Iris and Cilan competing instead of just Ash. That's where the shipping potential comes from in BW.

If Johto had rivals for Misty and Brock perhaps they would have had something like this too.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

As a person with sort of a rival fetish, I can safely say that my shipping investment in a saga is heavily influenced by the rivalries XD

BW has a lot of really quality pairs (Dento/Cabernet, Iris/Langley, Ash/Shooti, Bel/Langley, Ash/Kenyan). I don't know why I don't invest so much time into them as I probably would have in the past, not enough tension, perhaps? (because a lot of them are pretty comical and non-serious) Either way, yeah, it'd be interesting if Brock or Misty had recurring rivals.

"seasons change, people change"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast