A short rant on shipping evidence standards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A short rant on shipping evidence standards

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default A short rant on shipping evidence standards

It may surprise some of those here to know that I myself am a fairly long-standing shipper. As a matter of fact, I was one of the main shipping debaters back during the day of the PokeShipping/PalletShipping flame wars. I was even the very first archivist of the (In)Complete List.

So why am I bothering to take the time to tell you this? Because I want to establish that I'm not just some outsider coming here and saying what I'm about to say, because I know this is going to rub people the wrong way, and because I know it'd annoy people even worse if it was coming from a non-shipper.

Simply put...the standards held by many current shippers would appear to be so lax that it's practically unbelieveable to someone like myself, or to any of the other old-time shippers (which, I might mention, comprise a disproportionately high number of the admin and mod staff).

The problem, as it was before the debaters straightened things out back in 2001, and as it's been every time we've needed to step in to straighten out shipping flame wars since, are that people are using things that are simple evidence of friendship or rivalry as if they were evidence of their ship being true.

That really ticks me off.

Fair enough, I realize that most shippers here don't get into debates here anymore, but looking at these things as if they're evidence of the writers and directors supporting your ship, and presenting them to others as such in your own individual ship threads, is only creating unreasonable expectations amongst yourselves and others, and just sows the same seeds that have led to countless prior shipping flamewars.

Now, there's nothing wrong with looking at a scene and admiring how good two characters look together. Nor is there anything wrong with using evidence of friendship as a base for your ship, given that any real relationship on the show should be expected to build over time (barring a Digimon style timeskip screw you ending). But to say things akin to "OMG, they did a hi-five after they won the tag battle, they must be in love!" only demeans yourself and your ship, and makes you appear to anyone serious about their ships as the worst kind of gaki.

...I'm going to have to explain what I mean by gaki, aren't I?

If anyone else watches the episodes, you may recall Rocket-Dan calling Satoshi or others in his group "gaki" at some point. Essentially, it translates as something close to immature, or kid. Back in the day, PokeShippers started calling many of their own who acted in this kind of manner as GakiShippers, to distinguish themselves from each other, as the GakiShippers had given PokeShipping a bad name amongst many non-shippers. These were the kind of people who (at best) insisted that Misty's Song was legitimate evidence, that PokeShipping being canon in that ice show meant it must be in every other canon, or (at worst) that, you guessed it, pretty much any evidence that pointed to friendship (and a lot that didn't, like holding hands to walk safely through think fog) must mean they were in love.

So, in summary....if you're the kind of shipper who actually cares if your ship is the OTP or not, then buck up and don't use this kind of crap as evidence, and be prepared to defend your opinions in open debate (or at least help others who do, by compiling hint lists or something), rather than just hiding in your designated ship thread and preaching to the converted in your isolation. If you're not the type to care about that sort of stuff though, or you are but you aren't willing to contribute to the debates in any way...then feel free to admire this kind of stuff, say how cute it is, and so on and so forth, but do us a favour and stay away from calling anything a hint, evidence, proof, or whatever terminology you youngsters use for it these days.
    Metallicax3 likes this.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Default Re: A short rant on shipping evidence standards

*claps enthusiastically* Bravo! Bravo, Archaic! I think you just said what many shippers have been wanting to say for a very long time and didn't because they were afraid of coming off as unnecessarily mean. You handled it with real class and really got the idea through.

Thank you for posting this. I'm tired of seeing this stuff in 'shippings, and it isn't from just one group alone. I've seen it in all 3 of the main Ash 'ships, and in some others.
    Two Halves Make a Whole
    Thank you ★ ★ Princess of Hoenn!

Strange is Relative Dewgong Reign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We need an emoticon that says "^ That's not shippy, that's sh*tty!" for this sole reason...

I sense someone about to call me gaki.

"Alerting all VOC@LOIDs." hopeandjoy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*claps* People really need to hear that these days, even within my own ship at times. You did it in a wonderfully unmean way, yet still being blunt enough to get the point across.

Of course, there is nothing wrong for liking a ship simply because you think it's cute. With the sole exception of Contestshipping, that's my mentality (within the Pokémon fandom, at least). Having a little evidence helps too, but you can't just make shit up.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

About damn time someone pointed this out, thank you. <3 Seeing a lot of shippers do this can be really annoying, no wonder the shippers are always made fun of. :/

i completely agree Archaic
    im glad you said that

ahh love <3

proud pokeshipper and contestshipper

Rainmaker

I see the point, but what did make you writing it at this very moment?
    I read shipping threads quiet often and I didn't notice any stuff similar to mentioned in the first post. Even in the debate-threads people seem to take it all more easy. There aren't that much of a shipping flame-wars nowadays.

But meh, what such a newbie like me is entitled to say...
    Last edited by podin; 2nd January 2010 at 05:36 PM.
    帰りたくなったよ!!

Lax,Lax...Snoorrrrr kittenkitten's Avatar

Sankyuu for posting this <:3
    But i actually like seeing it in the threads,
    Gives me something to laugh at.
    xp
    [Dont eat me ;;]

I think most of the current generation of shippers really needed to hear this (myself included) for my part, I will admit I've preached to the converted-or at least, I fear I have.

Regardless, I am in complete agreement with all of the statements of this rant/speech.
    "A really great people, proud and high-spirited, would face all the disasters of war rather than purchase that base prosperity which is bought at the price of national honor."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Wow Archaic That was one long, well written, and much needed rant!!

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by podin View Post
    I see the point, but what did make you writing it at this very moment?
    I've been a bit out of touch with Shipping over the past couple of years, due to IRL commitments. Been looking at the threads a bit over the past few days, thanks to the information from those novelization being posted up, and after seeing an old friend from the debate days posting again. When this stuff was brought to my attention, I just felt like I had to rant about it.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

You win the Internet.

Now I know why Archaic is the leader of one of the major Shipping groups!

zel

well said! ;D
    as a crackshipper, the idea of requiring solid "hints" in order to ship something is... a bit of a foreign concept. so seeing people blow simple things [a high five? wtf] way out of proportion bothers me as well.
    hey people - you're allowed to ship something w/o turning every moment the characters spend together into a "hint". just fyi.

anyways. nice rant, archaic. :]

read my fics @ baticeer.lj

追放されたバカ

This is something I enjoyed reading and I never bothered to disagree with any of the points you stated because it's all true.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast