Official PokéShippers - Reformation meeting
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PokéShippers - Reformation meeting

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Official PokéShippers - Reformation meeting

For the past several years, the club has slept, waiting for the day when Misty would once again become part of the main characters, and when PokéShipping would once again florish. While Misty has not yet returned to us for good, it would seem the rebirth has happened without her. PokéShipping activity in the past year has soared...and with it, so, sadly, has the Gaki like attitudes which we fought so hard to stamp out.

One of the main goals of the OPS was always to increase the prominence and reputation of PokéShipping, a goal we achieved many years ago, with our codification of the PokéShipping hints list, one that could actually stand up to logical debate. But the long years of our slumber have chipped away at our achievements, and with the recent threats from AdvanceShipping and OrangeShipping, this only ever more apparent.

We, who once dominating the shipping scene on the major Pokémon forums, who were once both the respected role models and undisputed leaders of PokéShippers all over the internet, must once again make a stand. It is time that we resume our places as leaders and teachers, and bring back to PokéShipping the reputation for maturity, intelligence and strong reasoning and debating skills that we fought so long to give it. It is time for the rebirth of the OPS.

- Archaic
    December 29th, 2005

Agenda:
    • Absorbtion of the SPPf PokéShipping Club into the OPS as a local OPS branch
    • Election of new executive
    • Recodification of the hints list, including debate over the validity of possible hints post-Johto
    • Restoration of the old OPS forums as a viewable archive
    • Educate the new generation of PokéShippers on the rules of logic and debate

Active Member Roll:
    If I've missed you, or you think you shouldn't be here, or if your preferred name has changed, tell me.
    AJW73
    Archaic (Founder, Acting President)
    AshsBabyLapras
    Barb
    BenRG
    Chibi
    Crystal Mew
    Fabulous Vinnyous
    Himiko
    John Ray
    Jo-Jo
    Kasumi-san
    Misty
    Misty Lover17
    Murgatroyd
    Pie
    Razor Raven
    red_dragon_05
    Rocketshipper
    RubyMoon
    Sailor Paperfairy
    Selphie Sanctuary
    ShadowDino (Founding Member)
    Swifty (SPPf Branch Director)
    superjenjen
    The Mysterious Blue Hiker (Founding Member)
    XD375
    Yami Ron
    Yellow
    Last edited by Archaic; 23rd March 2007 at 08:13 PM.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

I was talking last night to Mike about how much we wanted to get back the OPS forums. Seems you were reading our minds, Mamoru-kun. ^_~

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Archaic, have I told you lately that I love you? =)

Blog Entries

It's beyond a doubt my top Ash ship. What the heck, I'm in.
    By reading this, you have given me temporary control of your mind.

Absorbtion of the SPPf PokéShipping Club into the OPS as a local OPS branch
    ...Can't... Breathe...

...Wait, this isn't a joke? Oh. Well count me in, considering I'm active both here and Serebii. :D

I'll help spearhead the effort at Sppf, but I dunno how much help I can be. :|

Blog Entries

Not a joke at all Swifty. I said as much in the SPPf PokéShipping thread a few days ago, didn't I? You have a lot of active members there...time we brought them into the fold, and gave them a crash course in debating and hint evaluation technique.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    Archaic, have I told you lately that I love you? =)
    Why did you make me think of Rod Stewart when I read that? =P

The way you worded your opening paragraph makes this sound like a cult. :P

Anyway add me. Pokeshipping is not exactly my favorite ship, but to be honest I don't mind it. I am intrigued.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi-san
    Why did you make me think of Rod Stewart when I read that? =P
    I don't know. Be thankful I didn't post lyrics to "Hot Legs" or "Tonight's the Night."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85
    The way you worded your opening paragraph makes this sound like a cult. :P
    That was intentional. ;) The behaviour of shippers and cult members isn't all that different afterall...

aww, yay. I miss the good ol' ops days :')

Well, I'm not sure how much help that I can be. However, having the OPS take the lead in PokéShipping rather than leave it in the hands of the hopeless amateur Gakis has to be good. After all, we have to try and keep the Ship respectable, no matter how little Misty appears, Yes?
    BenRG ~ Friend of Eeveeloutions everywhere!
    ~*~*~*~
    Member of the OPS ~ May Ash and Misty's love last forever!
    Member of PokéManiacs Anonymous! ~ While growing old is inevitable, growing UP is optional! Join us here!
    ~*~*~*~
    Bring back the Kanto Six!

...um.

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but this whole effort sounds a bit... well... elitist? What gives anyone the right to attempt to 'improve' the shippers on SPPF? Frankly, there's a strong vibe of 'educating the unwashed masses' there that I think is a terribly condescending way to talk about the non-OPS Pokeshippers. This isn't English class, after all. Why should we be required to understand the rules of debating and write long-winded essays in order to be accepted into the fold? What's wrong with simply saying "I love AAML, squeeee!"? It's a ship. It's not politics.

And the idea of us all storming the SPPF Pokeshipping thread and telling them, essentially, that they're all stupid and we know what's best for them is distasteful in the extreme. If you insist on going ahead with it, fine, but count me out.

Blog Entries

....and since when is there a problem with elitism? Seems to me that the world needs more elitists.

There's nothing wrong with "simply saying "I love AAML, squeeee!"?", as you said. There is a problem when people who would be better off doing that start getting involved in debates, and making statements about the evidence for the ship that simply can't stand up in an arguement, which makes things harder for those of us who do get serious about this. I'm not saying these guys are "unwashed masses" or anything, but with the debating climate in Shipping again now, us serious Shippers really need to set a bit of an example, and show the new guard how it's done. Not because we're necessarily "better" than them....but because we're the only ones here who have any experience in doing this. In fact...you could say we're simply "giving them the benefit of our experience". There, that's a better line than "show them how it's done", isn't it? Sounds less condecending, and has less negative connotations.

It's not like we'd be storming the thread either. The posts I've made thusfar have been greeted with open arms, and there was some interest in bringing the SPP PokéShippers Club into the OPS when I floated the idea to them.

EDIT: I notice in any case that you don't seem to be on the members list Jo-Jo. Should you have been?

Heh, if there's one fandom that doesn't need more elitism, it's this one. :p

There's still no getting around the fact that trying to school the Gakis in the art of good debating is at best a waste of time and at worst patronising in the extreme. For starters, most Pokeshippers that I've seen aren't even interested in debates; they're just in it for the squee. And the ones that are are unlikely to appreciate being told they're doing it wrong. I see no sign that anyone on SPPF is interested in receiving debating tips from the older members of the fandom. I can't speak for all of them, but if anyone showed up out of nowhere in one of the threads I visit and told me I was making my ship look stupid, but not to worry, they'd be happy to impart the benefit of their superior wisdom to lowly little me, I'd tell them to fuck off.

Groaning to yourself when a Gaki makes a stupid argument is fine. Grousing about it to fellow shipmates in private is fine. Trying to become more prominent in debate yourself so as to raise the standard of the arguments - fine. Telling certain people that they shouldn't post because you think they're a poor reflection on you and your side? Not fine.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast