Lack of romance in BW?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of romance in BW?

Happy 4th of July :3 PokemonLotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Lack of romance in BW?

I feel like Best Wishes is really lacking down on anything romantic at all. IMO, there is no romance going on at all, which is kinda sad, I mean a little romance added to keep things interesting is nice none, is kinda...like...boring, y'know? I mean now with Brock gone especially, no one is constantly flirting with girls so there's none of that which kills 95% of the romance in the show anyway. And aside from that there was always something going on(I know this is debatable). In the OS I found Pokeshipping very blatant, that was romance there, and I saw Rocketshipping too. In Hoenn there was the very obvious Contestshipping subplot. In Sinnoh there was Conway and Kenny with Dawn, and I think there was something going on with Zoey and Candace we also had Holly with Brock. But, in BW the closest thing to romance was that stupid cotonee overused plot episode. Anyone else agree, there's no romantic interest in any characters? Iris has none, nor does Ash or Cilan? Why? Agree, disagree? Maybe something is coming up?
    Please read and review my fanfic, The Very Best Like No One Ever Was:
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/my-first-fanfiction-pokemon-ashs-father-97505/

Here's my fanfiction profile:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2575363/pokemonfangirl4

Patientlly awaiting the airing of TR vs. TP special...

For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Default Re: Lack of romance in BW?

Its about the same as DP.

In DP, both Conway and Kenny barely appeared. And even then Conway was played for comic relief and Kenny was just viewed as a childhood friend type of deal. The reason why people like so many different Dawn ships is the writers didn't heavily promote any single one of them like they did for other characters. There was no "THE" ship for Dawn, hence her being multishipped much more than any previous female character.

I agree Iris and Cilan have shown no interest in love with anyone, but its still early. Trip is probably going to be like Paul, showing no interest in females.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Its about the same as DP.

In DP, both Conway and Kenny barely appeared. And even then Conway was played for comic relief and Kenny was just viewed as a childhood friend type of deal. The reason why people like so many different Dawn ships is the writers didn't heavily promote any single one of them like they did for other characters. There was no "THE" ship for Dawn, hence her being multishipped much more than any previous female character.

I agree Iris and Cilan have shown no interest in love with anyone, but its still early. Trip is probably going to be like Paul, showing no interest in females.
    I agree, Dawn was shipped with everybody. I suppose it's too early to tell. Dawn was overshipped, she didn't show any romantic interest, IMO, for anyone, but I thought Conway and Kenny showed some for her. Kenny was annoying though and Conway, as you said was comic relief. I also agree that Trip will be like Paul, it would be interesting if he showed interest in Iris but, I doubt it. Perhaps a new character with a romantic interest for Iris or Dento will appear, it's still early. As for Ash...I feel he won't get anyone new unless it's like Angie or Anabel who is never seen again.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

IMO, AG was the last we had any real shipping in the show. The OS had Pokeshipping and Rocketshipping, AG had Contestshipping, but DP really had no ships that were acted upon. There were little bits of Penguin/HeatTag/Appealshipping and such, and Rocketshipping made a comeback, but the shipping wasn't on the same level as the OS and AG. Now in BW there's really nothing at all (yet on the contrary, I'm obsessed with my BW ships. Go BW! XD) but oh well. It's not like shipping was ever meant to happen on the show or anything.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Well Rocketshipping still has its moments, although not so much in BW given they barely appear and don't interact with each other as much. :p

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Didn't the writers mentioned that they didn't want to add romance in the anime because it doesn't go along with the formula?

Blog Entries

I don't remember that but, if they did, they lied. There was always some character with a romantic interest going on(i.e. May and Drew subplot). In Best Wishes! I see none of that, well, yet anyway.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Not true, actually. Even Drew and May's subplot was not a prime focus; it's a subplot to fill in cracks, and done at a level that it doesn't interfere with the shounen genre. If the writers did say it (or it was something said early on), then they've basically stuck to their word that romance is certainly not an aspect of the plot, or even much of the show. Even if they didn't say anything like that, nothing's changed from the above.

But moving on.

Lack of romance? Yup. Problem with that? Nope. I like not having these things shoved around at a rate the writers have no idea where they're going with it.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I laughed a little, because I do agree with you, but at the same time, I have a lot of ships in BW. I guess because they have a lot of potential, but the writers aren't acting upon them (yet). Also, this is the first time all of the gang have a rival! It keeps them busier, I think. And, I don't think the writers ever plan romance, as those in the gang who are obviously in love end up heartbroken. (Brock, and Piplup, with the Marill.)

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonLotty View Post
    . Perhaps a new character with a romantic interest for Dento will appear, it's still early.
    Personally, I think Cabernet has taken that spot, especially after watching today's episode.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgement, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't remember that but, if they did, they lied.
    They mentioned about it in an article regarding why Team Rocket stayed and why Misty got axed for the Hoenn saga.

Blog Entries

Oh, I haven't seen that. Though with May and Drew's interactions they clearly didn't stick to their word. And I know that romance is never a main plot in Pokemon, I do watch the show after all but, I do like the little subplots they've thrown in, in the past(i.e. Rocketshipping, Pokeshipping, Contestshipping, the other ships etc.) they spiced things up even if they weren't really important or going anywhere (anytime soon anyway) since they are 10. And I haven't seen the latest episode, does Burgundy show interest in Dent and/or vise versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    They mentioned about it in an article regarding why Team Rocket stayed and why Misty got axed for the Hoenn saga.
    Takeshi Shudo only worked on the anime up till somewhere in Johto. So I don't see why you're applying it to the sagas that came after he wasn't writing for the show anymore.

BW is almost made for babies so maybe that's why. Everyone is childish and the show shows no sign of a romance maturity. Langely is the only one who acts older than she is but as far as liking any of the boys, it doesn't show. But that doesn't mean that nothing will happen somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    BW is almost made for babies so maybe that's why. Everyone is childish and the show shows no sign of a romance maturity. Langely is the only one who acts older than she is but as far as liking any of the boys, it doesn't show. But that doesn't mean that nothing will happen somewhere.
    What? All the characters still act older than 10 and are the same as any other saga.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

And I haven't seen the latest episode, does Burgundy show interest in Dent and/or vise versa?
    Now, I'd have to watch it subbed to give you the best answer. But comparing it to other episodes, I think she's being very tsundere.
    We have BW019 where she yells at him and berates him, and he smiles cordially back at her, where she is very obsessed with him (Seriously, she follows him all the way 'til she finds him, she becomes a Sommeliere because of him, and in BW041, she states that "she has no time to taste Ash, as her only rival would be Dento", I mean, sure, Antagonists always consider their rival as their main rival, but that doesn't mean that they don't treat other battles with an alike challenge to it!). She's acting tsundere in the sense that in BW044, she and him have the whole TR motto-like tasting time together.
    And I even think she compliments (!) him, as he does thank her, and she seems very embarrassed. I'm not sure, when I watch with subs, I'll have a proper answer. A lot of people are saying that there's a chance that some day, they'll work together, which, would be so cute. They also have a great chemistry. (The hints aren't overly as stable as previous generation's hints, so it doesn't seem as obvious.)

Dento... well, no, not as much. But he is quite kind to her, but that just could be maturity. He still takes time to taunt her. (At Ash vs Her's battle, when she uses thunder fang, he exclaims something along the lines of "What a mismatched taste!")

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    BW is almost made for babies so maybe that's why. Everyone is childish and the show shows no sign of a romance maturity.
    You know, maturity doesn't always equal romance. A lot of charcters are mature, they may be romantically mature, but does that mean they have to show their feelings? No.

EDIT: Ah, I just watched it subbed, and no, she doesn't compliment him. But! They have this sommelier showdown, which is so adorable.
    Anyways, she finally comes to terms with the fact that he is an A-Class, which is quite a big step in their relationship, IMO. So, thus, she is becoming friendlier towards him, in the last scene with them. So, yeah, she is being a bit tsundere. (This is to my first paragraph.)
    Last edited by Likeitornot.; 18th August 2011 at 05:01 AM.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgement, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast