How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Likeitornot.

Thread: How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?

Default How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?

Okay, so maybe I fooled you into entering this thread. Good. I have to do a report using expository writing, and I'm choosing to do it on pokemon-shipping to be specific. Can you help me?
    So, my topic is "How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?"
    Please reply soon, and I will greatly appreciate it!

Please reply!
    Last edited by Insanish Danish; 21st November 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Roses Die, but Ribbons Last Forever

Read my fanfiction, Within Our Crumbling World, and please review!

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Default re: How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?

Just a heads up, multiple posts in a row are not allowed.

Anyway, carry on.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

copy and paste time from spp-shipping lol

Well, shipping in most fanbases is often looked down upon because others don't see why paring two characters who are fictional is so important. I see it more so in the Pokemon world but it's kinda sad actually. If you pair X with Y, the fans who are hardcore fans of Z and Y are going to attack. At the same time though, I have been in three different fandoms and I found that this fandom as pretty lenient when it comes to paring.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

i guess that it change it a lot because it was once a normal pacific fanbase for one game, until pokeshipping vs palletshipping became, then the fanbase went into a chaotic war that only got worse with tracey and brock involve, then gen 3 kick in and the war became worst because of may and thus advances vs contest shipping began (btw im an advanceshipper myself), but gen 4 came and pearlshipper come to life and with more enemies, now that we are currently at gen 5 there's a hell lot of shippings in it to even count and until the shippings become canon the war is not gonna end, it may not be as violent as poke vs palet but it's still there

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default Re: How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?

I changed the thread's topic to the actual topic to try and generate more discussion :)

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This is one intriguing topic and I know I won't be able to answer it fully, not having been there at the start of the acknowledgement of fans shipping in Pokemon. When this sort of question is presented, I can safely bet that some people will instantly recall bashing, baiting, shipping wars, flaming, and all sorts of prejudice from one shipper to another. I'm not going to even attempt to pretend that doesn't exist, it does, but I'm going to observe some positives, which people tend to overlook at times. In fairness to the fandom, the shipping wars have been cut down immensely, and debates are held a bit more formally now.

Firstly, though, a huge positive in shipping is... the friends you make! To find someone who understands the whole concept of shipping, to find an ally in your support of a certain couple is something treasured. As a thread states, Pokemon shippers don't tend to be fond of their ship standing alone, and I concur with that. Having someone to bounce off ideas about shipping is really fun, as just because you ship the same ship, doesn't necessarily mean you ship it for the same reasons. Also, about making friends in shipping; don't think I mean you only make mates in the shippings you support! That's a bit insular. No, even I have a friend who despises my OTP and would crush it with an Iron fist if they could, and enemies who adore the same ship as I do. I don't mind that; there's much more to the person than the ship, after all, and shipping makes me see that. Unfortunately, with others, this is very much in reverse. Oh well.

Another one is- open minds! Shipping has lead me to see all the possibilites in all the couples, so that I comprehend why people ship the ships do. Every shipping is unique, and it's caused me to see that love itself is different in different couples. And different combinations in love- have very different, but pleasant results! I always think that if everyone shipped the same shipping with a mutual consensus on it, shipping would just be cumbersome. Rival shippings are very interesting, and they offer different points of view on their ship and yours. And that's what makes shipping your ship all the more special. Especially that Pokemon isn't a media that'll easily allow for your ship to become canon, and that's really great- all the main cast Anime shippings, in their own way, have an equal (well, equal enough) chance, 'cause... none are going to be canon anytime soon, hate to shock you.

Now, to the fandom as a whole; shipping has allowed such creativity! I know there's some people in our Fandom, who wouldn't bother with a single fanfiction if there wasn't some to ship, and I'm glad there is for them! Even with poor authors, I'm still happy they attempt due to shipping. And such fanart, aaah! People's skills have improved immensely, because they keep drawing their shippings, and seeing how others draw them. Ship names, believe it or not, take some skills sometimes.

And, really, the thrills of shipping! Whenever I'm sad and lonely, I rewatch one shippy episode, and it does cheer me up, seeing the interactions of my favourite couples and making theories based on them.

There are a few more cons than just shipping wars (sometimes getting our facts wrong, oops) but I think generally, Pokemon's a pretty great fandom to be in if you're a shipper.
    Herbizarre likes this.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Shipping has had an incredible impact on the Pokémon fanbase over the years. Back in the day, shipping was one of the 4 pillars of the fandom alongside anime, video games and TCG. It was really that massive.
    (For a time, ASB/PASBL was arguably a 5th pillar alongside it, featuring many of the same faces amongst its upper echelons. Though it lasted in that position for maybe only 18-24 months before diminishing, it did spawn a greater interest in forum RPG's which continues to this day.)

Due in part to their high levels of constant activity (shippers always had something to talk about, even when others were bored between game generations with nothing but filler anime episodes and Wizard's crap handling of the TCG), and in part because shippers tended to skew towards the older age brackets of the online fandom of the time, shippers disproportionately ended up in positions of power in the fandom at about the same time that shipping was falling off its pillar. Many of the people who joined me in bringing back Bulbagarden, as well as substantial numbers of mods and admins at other popular fansites of the area, were either shippers or ex-shippers.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Well, gives people some thing to talk about when its not the league or gym battles or Evil team arcs I guess. Some fandom hate the idea of shipping cuz whenever an episode about two characters get an episode people think of shipping, than they talk and talk and talk about that pairing for hours in threads. Others hate it cuz shipping Wars can get bad, Pokeshipping V.S Advancedshipping V.S Pearlshipping comes to mind. For me, I enjoy shipping Ash pairings the best so I don't mind it.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]