How did you become a shipper? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How did you become a shipper?

Registered User PokéShipperForever's Avatar

Default Re: How did you become a shipper?

I've been an enormous pokeshipper since I first began watching the show as it was initially starting. Didn't really know it was called what it was, and also didn't know so many supported it. I actually thought I was quite alone in my opinion of their relationship. What I also didn't know was there was a forum with threads like these. Basically, I gave up watching the show after they took Misty away from me, but after all these years I slowly began to rewatch all those episodes I loved. So yeah, I'm pretty far behind everybody, but hey, I love AAML and will as long as I live!

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm not really that into Pokemon pairings, but generally, I've always been a fan of romance. And then I started playing a lot of Zelda and Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem especially got me into shipping because pairings are actually a rather big part of the series. In many games, you can use support conversations to get special paired endings between some characters where they get married and sometimes even have children. In two of these games, there's even a marriage system where you have to pick which characters marry, and then you can use the children of these couples in the latter half of the game.

Add kittycat on Facebook
    Visit kittycat's Youtube Channel

I don't even remember when I started, I just would get under the impression that two characters were in love, and would get addicted to fanfiction. I got into pokeshipping, then contest, originalshipping, franticshipping, Alice x Oz (Pandora Hearts), and it just became an obsession xD

I got into Pokeshipping kinda lately.
    Or as a kid when I was watching the show/movies I saw AshxMisty as a perfect couple and was cheering for them. Eventually I stopped watching Pokemon (Mostly because I didn't liked generation 3 so I stopped watching the anime too and I regret that) but in September or something a friend of mine said we should watch some Pokemon I feelt in love with the Anime again.

So I started rewatch the Anime (season 7 atm) and when I came to the episode when the original trio separate I was searching for that scene on youtube later that day. I found out that a lot of shipping videos did excist so I searched for it and found stuff on Bulbapedia/youtube exc.

So I guess it all depends on how you look at the question :P

Blog Entries

After watching shows and reading books, I eventually started thinking: Wouldn't it be great if _____ got a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

The Antisocial Hermit Spontaneous Combusken's Avatar
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken On Twitter
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken on Tumblr

For me, i probably wouldn't be shipping if it weren't for facebook, oddly enough. Pokémon was really the first fandom i ever really go into, and will always be my OTF (one true fandom). Well anyway, when i was 12, i got into the pokémon games in the summer, and in the fall/winter following that summer my cousin told me there was a pokémon show. I started watching it but i didn't really envision any characters in a relationship or anything. I think the only thing close to shipping i recognized was buneary's crush on pikachu (i started watching DP first) and brock's obsession with women. Later on that year when i got a facebook i was searching up pokémon stuff on there and i came across an event someone set up called "ash and dawn's wedding". I, being the curious almost-teenager i was, clicked on it. Apparently the people who set it up were people who were role playing as ash and dawn through FB accounts. On the event page they uploaded a bunch of fanart and someone linked a pearlshipping MV from youtube to it. I clicked on it and started rabbit-trailing on all these different shipping videos. I didn't have any OTP at that point, i was just..... Somewhere between awestruck and disgusted with it all and i was just trying to see how many videos there were of different couples. I figured out the different names meant different people were in a relationship. And then my youtube favorites started to fill up with all these crappy shipping AMVs. After a while i found out what deviantart was and i ran over there just to sign up for it so i could favorite shipping pictures. And later on fanfiction, but how i came to that website is a long, unrelated story full of my weird friends, bronies, and rainbow cupcakes. But i digress. It wasn't untill later on that i really started to prefer some ships over some others. I think i got drawn towards the less popular ships because the more popular ship got all the fans and attention and fanart and fnfics and ect. while the less popular ones got next to nothing. And when they did get some, the people who were religious about their "cannon" ships (ones that weren't really cannon but were considered to be by everyone because the were some hints) would bash the unpopular one. It really ticked me off to see that people were so closed minded and hateful about people minding their own business and shipping their own ships. I mean it's like, get over it, it's all fiction. Anyway, i would normally just lurk around places, quietly favoriting stuff i liked, rarely leaving a comment. I still mostly just lurk around places.
    But now, i swear i have more OTPs then there is pokemon. And my love of (crack) ships has followed me into all the different fandoms i join. I can't enter a new fandom without gaining a new OTP. OH ARCEUS SOMEONE HELP ME IT'S TAKING OVER. *ahem* sorry about that. And sorry about the rant that probably doesn't make any sense. I'm tired and and i have a concussion so shit aint making sence right now.

As for any ships in my pre-pokémon addiction, i think when i was really young i thought spongebob and sandy were in love. Heck, i think i even drew a picture of them telling each other "i love you". Lol i was a straaaaaaaange little kid.

tl;dr it facebook, youtube, and RP's fault i wandered into the shipping part of the pokémon fandom.

EDIT: oh, my god, that is a pretty big wall of text right there. Damn i ramble when i have head injuries.
    Last edited by Spontaneous Combusken; 18th January 2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Adding something.

3DS FC: 3695-0070-1064

As a little girl, I LOVED pokemon. As said above, pokemon most likely will stay my OTF. How did I get into shipping? Well, my entire life. I don't remember when I wasn't into shipping something, Pokemon shipping was definitely my first ship, however, and since I grew up on Pokemon Advanced Library DVDs and hopefully catching the show after school, i fell in love with Advanceshipping.
    And, BOY, did I let people know.
    I would look up pictures of Ash and May on google. May was my favorite character (besides Ash), and i loved her. So obviously I would pair her with Ash. This still holds true to this day. Althought I like and respect Misty, I never thought her and Ash were and item, and I simply thought that May was better suited for Ash.
    The Master likes this.
    Roses Die, but Ribbons Last Forever

Read my fanfiction, Within Our Crumbling World, and please review!

Ships for no reason. ThisIsSparta9000's Avatar

Visit ThisIsSparta9000's Youtube Channel

I got into shipping a couple years ago because I thought ash and misty were meant to be together after I borrowed a manga book of pokemon. Then I decided to stopped liking shippings a year later. Then recently I got back into shipping only to find facts and eventually start liking shippings

Quote Originally Posted by Hanar View Post
    I became a shipper when I was 6, and I was imagining Ash and Misty in romantic situations. Yep. d:
    Same way on how I got into shipping. Derp
    Last edited by Araragi-hakase; 9th December 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Living Legends LegendaryCapture's Avatar
    Add LegendaryCapture on Facebook
    Visit LegendaryCapture's Youtube Channel

Hmmm... I noticed the tension between Ash and Misty when I first watched Pokemon (and I was FIVE then!)

I think after that I decided to ignore it until I started watching the Episodes where May showed up then I realized how much she and Drew seemed to really look like they have a thing for each other... I got addicted and now I'm an avid shipper (not just of Contest Shipping of course I have more ships I love)

FRANTIC SHIPPER ON BOARD!

I watched the first series' of Pokemon without knowing about shippings. I would never have know if I had not got interested in Ash and Misty's relationship and went online to see if there were any others like me. I was surprised to see there were thousands! I think a lot of people started liking shippings after seeing Ash and Misty together in the first series.
    But then came the Advanced Generation, and as soon as I saw May and Ash interact, I was looking that up too. I don't remember how long ago that was, but I have been an advanceshipper ever since.
    Unlike others though, I keep it to myself. Other people I know watch Pokemon but I feel like they may judge me for being a shipper. I've never heard any of my friends mention it and I certainly won't be the first to.
    As for AMV's and such, I was never really into anything at the start. I just watched the program and thought about how stupid Ash was for not making his move and how cute they were together. Then I started to look at fanart, and I thought it was pretty cool. I found out what AMV's were shortly after when they were recommended to me on Youtube. I loved those too, and I've even made a couple.
    The thing I love most are fanfics, which I read a lot of. I read about 10 one week when I first discovered them on FF.net and it was heaven! Now I write my own.
    My only problem is that I seem to change my mind a lot. I started with Pokeshipping, then went to Advanceshipping, and now I don't know whether I like Pearl or Advance better.
    Currently choosing between Advanceshipping and Pearlshipping

Please visit my FF.net @ NinjaShippers :D

I think after rewatching the entire pokemon series again and then the movies it pushed me towards it. But like alot of people it was that scene from Rise of Darkrai , with Ash and Dawn, that got me :)

In Love With Snowmen Anikasnow6's Avatar

Well, when I first heard of Pokemon, Generation IV was just coming out, and Dawn was my favorite character. I had no clue what shipping was. Then, one day, I was watching my brother brose the internet and I saw a site called "Bulbapedia" or something. It looked interesting. So, I made up my mind that I would go find the site.
    I failed.
    Well, then, I saw my brother on pokemonepisode.org. So I went there, too. The thing my brother was on was Movie 9: "Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea". I liked the movie, so I watched it as well.
    Then, one day, I finally found Bulbapedia. It was super-interesting, and I remember that I clicked on every link that I came across. Then, one day, I clicked on the article, "Shipping" without knowing it. I suddenly knew all about Pokemon romance and all.
    I guess I was just randomly clicking on all of the ships. I read all of the articles and decided that AdvanceShipping was the best-written one (it's my opinion, okay?) I didn't really care at that point, though. But, I kept reading the article over and over again, and, eventually, something clicked and I became an AdvanceShipper.
    I support AdvanceShipping, LuckyShipping, ViridianShipping, FranticShipping, IkariShipping, BelleShipping, HyperShipping, and many other pairings.

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

I watched movie 9 after lurking the Advanceshipping topics here and on serebii for a few years, just to see what all the fuss was about. I was hooked. I've expanded my views to Ikarishipping, Girlpowershipping, and stuff like that lately.

I read a lot of Boys Love manga as a teen and became a huge Clamp and Hetalia fan. From there my Shipping fate was sealed.

The Antisocial Hermit Spontaneous Combusken's Avatar
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken On Twitter
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaShippers View Post
    I watched the first series' of Pokemon without knowing about shippings. I would never have know if I had not got interested in Ash and Misty's relationship and went online to see if there were any others like me. I was surprised to see there were thousands! I think a lot of people started liking shippings after seeing Ash and Misty together in the first series.
    But then came the Advanced Generation, and as soon as I saw May and Ash interact, I was looking that up too. I don't remember how long ago that was, but I have been an advanceshipper ever since.
    Unlike others though, I keep it to myself. Other people I know watch Pokemon but I feel like they may judge me for being a shipper. I've never heard any of my friends mention it and I certainly won't be the first to.
    As for AMV's and such, I was never really into anything at the start. I just watched the program and thought about how stupid Ash was for not making his move and how cute they were together. Then I started to look at fanart, and I thought it was pretty cool. I found out what AMV's were shortly after when they were recommended to me on Youtube. I loved those too, and I've even made a couple.
    The thing I love most are fanfics, which I read a lot of. I read about 10 one week when I first discovered them on FF.net and it was heaven! Now I write my own.
    My only problem is that I seem to change my mind a lot. I started with Pokeshipping, then went to Advanceshipping, and now I don't know whether I like Pearl or Advance better.
    Dude, me too! I'm afraid to tell my friends about all the ships i ship, because they'll judge me.
    And i did the same thing when i discovered fanfiction. I attacked that site. Oddly enough, the only reason i went to fanfiction in the first place was to see if the fanfic Cupcakes was really as scary as everyone screamed it was. Eheh.

3DS FC: 3695-0070-1064

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456