Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 7996
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The (In)Complete List of Shippers - V8

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Default Re: The (In)Complete List of Shippers - V8

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyAeon View Post
    (Tracey wasn't really prone to debates anyway - Gilbert was a noted exception...which leads me to think that "Debateshipping" was invented for Tracey/Gilbert, and only applied to Tracey/Max as an afterthought, or through confusion).
    An afterthought, yes, if that's how you interpret this post by its creator:
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat from SPPf in April, '04
    Oh, and since no one came up with a name for Tracey/Hajime, I'm going to go with Debateshipping...I don't think it's taken. Or it could be Tracey/Max; even though they haven't met yet, I bet there's going to be some Pokemon debating going on. :p
    Since it was never resolved, it remains both (we've had a couple of "ancient" cases like this: a couple with two names or one name with two couples from one user's personal indecision). It's something I cannot change, nor can anyone else. At this point, it is what it is, as there is nothing wrong with the situation itself, save for the fact that it's two-in-one. It's not enough to warrant an emergency change.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Re: DebateShipping for Tracey/Gilbert and Tracey/Max....

Well, you're right: it's not a situation for an emergency name change....It could, however, be a case for a carefully thought-out, sensible name change.

I'm not just trying to play fast and loose with the rules, here. I honestly think they don't quite cover this situation.

Consider: is there any other case where a suggestion for a ship name's second possible use was permitted to become the ONLY official name of a ship - let alone a two-main-character ship?

Or was there ever another case where one person was permitted to give two different ships the same name in one fell swoop?

If there was such a case, or cases, before, then I will withdraw my objection and use the shared name with no complaint.

But I don't think the poster tried to name two ships at once. There's nothing in the original post to indicate that that s/he wanted the name applied to BOTH ships: it was blatantly a case "or," not "and."

That's not just an interpretation, either: "Splat from SPPf" actually said "...OR it could be Tracey/Max." That's not indecision, it's having a back-up plan. You know, in case Tracey/Gilbert had a name already.

Since Tracey/Gilbert WAS free, and s/he succeeded in naming that ship, there is no need for his/her back up plan to be regarded as an official suggestion for Tracey/Max.

Which means it still needs a name.

Look, I don't really care about MY name suggestion - not anymore. I DO care about two main characters getting the minimal amount of regard they deserve.

I suspect (since so few fans care about Tracey or Max to begin with, let alone both of them) that this particular issue just never came up before. If it did come up before - if there was an earlier suggestion for a new Tracey/Max name which was disallowed for the same reason - then I ask that THAT alternative name be considered (if it has not already been re-applied to another ship).

I know you probably fear creating a precedent for frantic re-challenges of ship names...so I'll make a further suggestion: If you want to make a new guideline that "you can only argue the fine points of applying the rules to unusual situations if you disqualify your own suggestions for a new name," it would do a lot to prevent spurious challenges.

Heck, I'd even disqualify myself from EVER naming another ship, just to prove my intentions are honorable here.

But truly, Tracey/Max needs at least one name that applies to them, first.
    Last edited by ShinyAeon; 6th May 2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Look, it's very simple! Lake Calamity, Lake Acurracy, and Lake Vitality! There it all is, black and white, clear as crystal! And maybe ruby and sapphire.

My Pokémon fics. Let me show you them.

MtFrostingShipper - Emerald & Janine

:D

Die-hard Ikarishipper Rissychan's Avatar

I seached and didn't see a name for those two so__ sorry if it's already named xD

MeteorShieldShipper - Dawn's Togekiss & Dawn's Piplup
    Youtube account | Deviantart account | Fanfiction.net account

Pokeshipper | Contestshipper | Ikarishipper

Daisy (Cerulean) & Misty = WincestShipping

Blog Entries

Re: DebateShipping for Tracey/Gilbert and Tracey/Max....
    Alright, here's the deal. The rules I go by are my own, that I gradually set up after I took over the list in '06.

And one of them is: no doubles (which this does fall under). If you came in with "A x B can be DEFshipping! ...Or XYZshipping," I'd force them to choose before even allowing it. Submissions that are indecisive remain "open," until there's clarity in what the name shall be by the submitter.

The only free-pass allowance I actively make is in instances of shorthand, such as WaterNarc/WaterNarcis and SanFrancisco/SanFran.

But by my own rules, unless there's a clear timeline of submission, during which it should have been obvious there was already a name (cases drift; I think the only one I actually handled was Ban vs Sweetflower, but that's the only one, because it was handled here, as I learned...I might put it back, since it is a conflicting deal on my conscious; it is an ancient submission, after all), I don't touch them.

Also, if you come forward with, "Okay, this name has two couples and no alts. Can I put this forward?" Those have also been denied under the "no doubles" rule. It happened with Perfumeshipping; though Vy got to it before I did, with the same rule

Because Debateshipping predates my term, I don't feel like I have a right to do anything about it. Some 'ships have gotten lucky breaks, like two independent names where one has two 'ships (Idol vs Chest and Apprentice, Elite vs Masakudo, Bird vs Flying, Neglect vs Awkward, Brocket vs Jim/Zen/Koi/Stuart/probably another one or two)...

There are also other cases with no alternates in use, as they're either unknown or none exist: Eggshipping, Fanboyshipping, Luckyshipping (popular for both Red/chica!Blue and Robert/May), Nidoshipping (but both go hand-in-hand), Perfume, Rocksmash (which is first listed as Chuck/Roxanne before the more-used Brawly/Roxanne), the list goes on.

However, I have had to allow doubles that cropped up on my watch: Frontiershipping. Both Noland/Lucy and Emerald/Crystal, because they were created independently from each other. No extras, no alternate names. (I was pissed.)

In reverse, there's Shinoushipping vs Pearl and Fortune; I allowed Shinou as both to prevent anyone from trying to use it for one or the other. Old news. (I was also pissed.)

Marioshipping, less pissed. Annoyed for sure, but the pun was too good to pass up for the crack.

Something like Debateshipping would not have happened on my watch, in the manner that it was suggested. But it didn't. ....That, and Google doesn't bring up much action for Debateshipping on either Tracey/Gilbert or Tracey/Max. You could easily capitalize it for one or the other, since no one's gone out of their way to call themselves a supporter for either one (not that I can find).

That, and I interpret Splat's post as saying: "Debate might be good for this. Or, it would be good for that." She knew Tracey/Gilbert didn't have a name, but also thought, alternatively, it might be a better name for Tracey/Max. It wasn't a back-up, since she /knew/ Tracey/Gilbert was nameless.

And when you know something is nameless, your back-ups are 'ship names, not alternate couples for the name you come up with.

HOWEVER....if by chance someone tried to name Tracey/Max or Tracey/Gilbert independently from Splat's suggestion, without knowing it exists as Debateshipping (meaning they didn't know there was a list to look at, since shipping lists have existed for over ten years) or had a suggestion that even predates Debateshipping for either, I will make an allowance to include that on the list.

TL;DR - there have been cases where people suggested alternate names for predated-before-me submissions, and they were turned down, under the "no doubles" rule I enforce now. It happened with Perfumeshipping (on SPPf), and probably one or two more. And Perfumeshipping falls under the same case Debateshipping does.

The rules do cover this. But it allows for some flexibility when the case calls for it. Like below, for example.

Controlshipping was coined in '05. StrikingIceshipping in the last year and a half. But I'm adding Controlshipping anyway, because it exists without knowledge of a list (or knowledge of names in general, if you'll note Gymshipping).

-----
    Unrelated notes:

NOTE TO SELF: fix Jeannette/Jeanette

And *facepalm* oh no.

From PokéCommunity:
    ControlShipper - Bruno & Lorelei

Okay, that is not TL;DR to me (granted, my tolerance for long blocks of text is higher than the average poster's ); thanks for taking the time to explain it.

But I need just one more point of clarification...does this mean there's no chance of Tracey/Max ever getting another name unless a predated one could be discovered?

Or is there some wiggle room for a "grassroots" movement if I should actually, say, produce a story, attach a new name to it, and it gets popular enough (I know, that's Improbability Drive territory with this 'ship, but just supposing XD) that people start using/remembering the new name?

Or is the case just forever closed and I should abandon all hope for good?

(Mind you, I'm not bloody likely to write a story unless I think of an actual good idea (I'm too lazy to write all the ones I come up with that DO have an actual good idea). So that's pretty much a hypothetical question.) (Although, admittedly, if I actively think about it, my chances of coming up with one may increase...still, the Muses are fickle things.)

In either case, thanks for taking time with the question.

~~~~~~

On another note entirely....

Quote Originally Posted by Ren the Ryoko View Post
    Daisy (Cerulean) & Misty = WincestShipping
    Sam and Dean want to have a word with you....

Look, it's very simple! Lake Calamity, Lake Acurracy, and Lake Vitality! There it all is, black and white, clear as crystal! And maybe ruby and sapphire.

Blog Entries

But I need just one more point of clarification...does this mean there's no chance of Tracey/Max ever getting another name unless a predated one could be discovered?
    Let's put it this way: if you ever find someone who put a name to Tracey/Max that doesn't mention the word Debateshipping at all, in the process, show it to me, and I'll see if it fits some sort of criteria that will get it on the list.

Or is there some wiggle room for a "grassroots" movement if I should actually, say, produce a story, attach a new name to it, and it gets popular enough (I know, that's Improbability Drive territory with this 'ship, but just supposing XD) that people start using/remembering the new name?

Or is the case just forever closed and I should abandon all hope for good?
    Well, then I know exactly who'd I have to blame if that did happen. *halo*

We do (unfortunately) /also/ have a case (or two *grr*) like that, one being OutCryshipping and Farawayshipping: OutCry is the official name, and Farawayshipping the (very extremely) popular name.

Debateshipping would still be the official name, under that sort of movement. ^^; If it's too far out of control, I begrudgingly accept it, but if it's oh so new, I tend to do the bud-nip thing. It's a Srs Biznes we run. You could even call it a...tight ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zorua View Post
    It's a Srs Biznes we run. You could even call it a...tight ship.
    FACEFAULT!

Thanks. (And like I said, it's kind of unlikely I'd bestir myself enough to actually do anything Machiavellian...too much work. )

Endless. Endless. J. S. Köttbulle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AmenAppleShipping: Barry & Gardenia
    RAID!?Shipper: Bugsy, Janine, & Electrode
    Fizzy Bubbles
    - Jovi's Lament - Fantastic Voyage!? - Mother And Child - Teenager Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Reality -
    A person is not defined by their tastes, rather it is the other way 'round.

Blog Entries

FACEFAULT!

Thanks. (And like I said, it's kind of unlikely I'd bestir myself enough to actually do anything Machiavellian...too much work. )
    *oh, never felt so proud* >3 *and trusts you on that matter, while we're at it*

FinalLightShipper - Cynthia & Cresselia

*thumb bite* I might change my mind on the name. It's not fair.

zel

ShutterShipper - Brawly & Sabrina

let's just say that i had a very odd dream last night :|

read my fics @ baticeer.lj

StuffedChuShipper - A.J.'s Sandshrew and Ash's Pikachu.

Don't know what I'm doing InsomniaticSpriter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow InsomniaticSpriter on Tumblr

I hope this ship hasn't been named (If it hasn't, how come no one thought of it before!)

ShinyBugShipper - Shingo & Ash

I looked and couldn't find a name.

CannelleShipper - Kris, May, Leaf, Dawn, Lyra & Four-chan
    May12Shipper - Lyra & Four-chan

/runs away
    Last edited by Vycksta; 12th May 2010 at 12:21 PM.

Nynaeveshipper - Strategistshipper - TotalEclipseshipper