TCG card of the day: Day 4, Neo Genesis Cleffa

Thread: TCG card of the day: Day 4, Neo Genesis Cleffa

Default TCG card of the day: Day 4, Neo Genesis Cleffa

Day 4, Neo Genesis #20, Cleffa See main bulbapedia article here

Cleffa was one of the first baby pokemon released in the TCG, along with Magby (NG #23), Elekid (NG #22), Pichu (NG #12). Baby pokemon in the Neo series had a unique effect which made them playable while they were in the modified format, despite having low HP and doing little or no damage with their attacks. The effect (which is neither a pokepower nor a pokebody, and therefore could not be prevented) says that if an opponent attempts to attack Cleffa he/she must flip a coin. If tails, your opponent's turn ends without an attack. This made baby pokemon useful as walls, since they could only get hit 50% of the time. When coupled with the Pokemon tool Focus Band (NG #86), the opponent could only KO a baby pokemon 25% of the time. Not a bad wall for only having 30HP. This effect was widely utilized with cards such as Dark Alakazam (Team Rocket #1), whose Teleportation Blast does 30 damage and allows you to switch Dark Alakazam with one of your benched pokemon. If Cleffa is brought out with Teleportation Burst, it can be a wall during your opponents turn, then it can be retreated for free to bring out Dark Alakazam for the attack again. A deck called Babyporter was built featuring this strategy.

Cleffa's only attack, Eeeeeeek, has a similar effect to Professor Oak (Base Set 88). Eeeeeeek allows you to shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 7 cards for 1 colorless energy. Depending on the situation the effect can be better or worse than Proffesor Oak's, which makes you discard the original cards from your hand instead. This effect can be used in the beginning of the game to help bring out the decks attackers (such as Dark Alakazam), while being an issue for the opponent to kill.

Cleffa can be evolved into Clefairy, however this is rarely, if at all done in competetive play because that rids it of its "baby effect"

Cleffa was released once, Neo Genesis #20 (R) (1st edition and unlimited). It is unlikely that another release of this card will ever be seen, because the "baby effect" has not been used since Neo Destiny. This could be because it makes baby pokemon, normally some of the weakest pokemon, some of the most useful.

Information and picture from bulbapedia article linked to above
    Last edited by Palbert6393; 7th January 2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

Default Re: TCG card of the day: Day 4, Neo Genesis Cleffa

Nice read again thanks!

I never managed to pull a Cleffa, only Magby, Elekid and Pichu.

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Two-time World Champion Jason Klaczynski lists this Cleffa as the TCG's most influential card of all-time.

You guys can gain an understanding of just how good Cleffa was in competitive play by reading Jason's article here.

Thanks for another article Palbert, and thanks Politoed for the further reading!

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Eeeek! Oh Cleffa. X3

I use the reprint as an awesome staller. There are more chances of backfiring with the current one, but it manages to be a good game opener for me.

-In Simple Harmony-

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Eeeek! Oh Cleffa. X3

I use the reprint as an awesome staller. There are more chances of backfiring with the current one, but it manages to be a good game opener for me.
    What reprint?
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

It's not a word for word reprint, but the HGSS Cleffa is as close as it's going to get in spirit.

-In Simple Harmony-

The Cleffa from EX Unseen Forces is almost exactly the same, except with one less draw and a baby redefinition. I guess it doesn't have a stall component, though.
    Games, apps, and more!

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

This, along with Magby, is the only baby pokemon I never managed to get.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!