TCG Card of the Day: Day 3 Neo Genesis Slowking

Thread: TCG Card of the Day: Day 3 Neo Genesis Slowking

Default TCG Card of the Day: Day 3 Neo Genesis Slowking

Day #3 Neo Genesis #14, Slowking See Bulbapedia page here

Slowking, during its brief time in the Modified format, completely dominated the metagame due to a change in its original text when it was translated from Japanese to English. Due to this, Slowking was banned following the 2002 season, making one of four cards ever to be banned before their set was rotated, the other three being Sneasel (Neo Genesis #25), Ancient Mew, and _____'s Pikachu (WotC Black Star Promo #24,otherwise known as Birthday Pikachu). Before being banned, it was used in nearly every, if not every, competetive deck.

The main reason Slowking wound up being so sucsessful in the metagame was his pokemon power: Mind Games. Everytime your opponent playes a trainer card, you can flip a coin. If heads, the effect is negated and the trainer is placed on top of your opponent's deck. In the original Japanese version, this effect was only useable when Slowking was the Active Pokemon, however when Slowking was brought stateside, the pokepower was changed so that it could be used when Slowking was on the bench. This allowed for the effect to stack, so if 4 Slowings were on your bench, you could flip 4 coins and if any one of them were heads the opponents trainer would fail. That makes the sucsess rate only 6.25%. On top of that, you can have someone else attacking besides Slowking and still get the benefit of its effects. Many matches became a battle to see who could get their Slowking out the fastest. Because of this, Slowking was banned following the 2002 season in all official tournaments. It is unknown why an errata was not issued instead of a ban, which wouldve allowed Slowking to be continued to be played, just with its original, weaker effect.

Slowking's only attack, Mindblast, is nothing special. For 3 psychic energies, it does 20 damage... 30 + confusion if the coin flip is a heads. Mindblast is only ever used if Slowking somehow gets dragged into the active spot, and even then maybe not, since it can be retreated with the same amount of energies and a better attacker can be brought out.

Slowking was only released once (H, Neo Genesis #14)(1st edition as well as unlimited) with no similar cards ever being released. However, the only other card ever banned for being too strong (Sneasel Neo Genesis #25) had a similiar card released in Ex Ruby and Sapphire (Sneasel ex #103). Something similar to that could be done with Slowking in the future as the game continues to evolve, but this is unlikely to happen soon, as Slowkig is still an incredibly hard card to counter in the Unlimited format.

Information and Picture from bulbagarden page linked to above
    Last edited by Palbert6393; 6th January 2011 at 10:40 PM.
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

Default Re: TCG Card of the Day: Day 3 Neo Genesis Slowking

Great read yet again! Thanks!

How much does this card cost nowadays?

It appears to range from $2-$3
    Pokemon TCG discussion

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palbert6393 View Post
    It appears to range from $2-$3
    I'd say $3-$4, $7-$8 for a 1st Edition version. The holos from the Neo sets aren't as easy to find as most others, and it's one of the more in-demand older cards.

People are willing to pay slightly more for it since it played such a large role in competitive play; people who played in that era like it for its nostalgic value.

Am I correct in thinking that the end of your post means that Slowking is allowed in Unlimited format? I was not aware the banlist was also ignored for this format!

Quote Originally Posted by Nytik View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the end of your post means that Slowking is allowed in Unlimited format? I was not aware the banlist was also ignored for this format!
    To be honest, im not entirely sure. I thought it was still playable in Unlimited. Sneasel should be, since they just rereleased that in triumphant... I've never played in an unlimited format league/tourney. A little help Poli?
    Pokemon TCG discussion

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palbert6393 View Post
    To be honest, im not entirely sure. I thought it was still playable in Unlimited. Sneasel should be, since they just rereleased that in triumphant... I've never played in an unlimited format league/tourney. A little help Poli?
    Since there's no Organized Play for unlimited anymore, that's pretty much irrelevant. The reason you've never played in an unlimited tournament is because they don't exist. xD

So yeah, it doesn't really matter. I'm not aware of any official rule for unlimited that says you can't use Slowking, and you'll probably end up just playing unlimited with your friends anyway.

Blog Entries
    Follow Tolan On Twitter
    Follow Tolan on Tumblr

I'm not really into the TGC, but I really like this card, mainly because it looks cool :p