Should all types be split in the TCG?

View Poll Results: Should all types be split in the TCG?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 42.86%
  • No.

6 42.86%
  • I could go either way.

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should all types be split in the TCG?

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Default Should all types be split in the TCG?

With the Fairy type recently being confirmed to have its own energy, now is the perfect time to discuss this.

As we all know, the Dragon type was given its new TCG type and was split from Normal when the set Dragon Selection came out. So, should all types get this treatment? Should there be Ground, Ghost, Poison, Rock, Bug, Ice, and Flying energies?

I'd say yes. That would make deckmaking more difficult, as you'd have a narrower selection and more to counter, but the game would be more exciting.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should all types be split in the TCG?

I also say yes, do to the fact I would like to see the Pokemon become dual typed, lifor exaple farfetched being colorless/flying.

Enjoying Pokemon since 98 Talia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Talia On Twitter
    Follow Talia on Tumblr

I say yes purely because it would be interesting to see who would stick with colorless and who would take the risk by using the intended energy. :) (Chances are newer Pokemon would be released with moves that benefitted from not using colorless energy so that could push a lot of people in the specific direction)
    "If you love somebody, set them free. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were."
    -Anonymous.

Blog Entries

Dual-typed Pokémon made deck creation difficult, but I still would like to see more of them. They spiced up Weaknesses and stuff like that.

If there was more types, then think of all the different energy you'd have to use! Not to mention, they'd either have to make more cards per set or make less for each type. Besides, the way they have it is perfect :D It makes it easier to play the game and gives us more variety in the sets. Please don't hate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOnePokemonTrainer View Post
    If there was more types, then think of all the different energy you'd have to use! Not to mention, they'd either have to make more cards per set or make less for each type. Besides, the way they have it is perfect :D It makes it easier to play the game and gives us more variety in the sets. Please don't hate.
    It does give us a few problems, for example fire Pokémon being weak to ice Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOnePokemonTrainer View Post
    It does give us a few problems, for example fire Pokémon being weak to ice Pokémon.
    Well yeah but honestly there would be way to much types for me :l

I would be okay with the idea of "sub-types." Like Ice Pokemon use Water Energy but do Ice damage, and the weaknesses and resistances could be tweaked accordingly -- I hate how two types resist Psychic ever since Poison's fallen into it, for example. Having 18 different types of Energy would be kind of overkill and dilute things though. I imagine it would be really hard to make coherent expansion sets because the designers would have to fit in at least one line for every type in each set.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

there's a wall there Sardonic Nova's Avatar
    Follow Sardonic Nova On Twitter
    Follow Sardonic Nova on Tumblr

No. The TCG is complicated enough how it is, and there's no burning need to separate the types. It's sound how it is.

Blog Entries

The important thing to consider here is that as more and more Pokémon are introduced, 18 energy types will be less and less of an overkill.

I think no just for the simplicity of the types now even though it would be hard to get used to it i just think it's good the way it is now.

~I am a huge nerd~ TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 On Twitter Add TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Google+
    Follow TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Tumblr Visit TheBeatlesPkmnFan42's Youtube Channel

It'd certainly make things more interesting, and difficult. I'd be for it, honestly. To be honest, Pokemon often having wrong types in the TCG (unless they're Delta Types of course) has always bugged me...

Blog Entries

I think on the whole it's ok as it is, with Dragon type being seperate (without specific Dragon-energy, makes them splash other decks for more diversity).

The main issue i have with it though, is ever since gen 4 Poison has been represented by psychic energy instead of grass??? This makes no sense because there were plenty of Grass/Poison and Bug/Poison pokemon, but never Psychic/Poison, and only 3 Ghost/Poison types. That Metal AND Dark resist psy now is overkill, not to mention they are weak to themselves and each other. I'd prefer Poison to get its own type or at least revert to grass, since Steel in-game resists grass & bug too. (I know it resists psy & ghost until gen 5 but it makes more sense to allocate this to just ONE type - Dark)

Since there is a PSN counter, it wouldn't be beyond the realm of likelihood to need a Poison type. weak to psy, resist grass, NVE against metal, SE against fairy ??

I think the entire reasoning behind Poison being changed to "Psychic" in the TCG was because Psychic's card color scheme is purple. Poison is pretty much always represented by the color purple in the games, so it just made sense visually.

On that note, I really wish they'd do a similar change and make all ghost-types into "Darkness" cards. That would look pretty cool.

Blog Entries

I personally don't think the colour purple is really enough of a reason to change poison to a totally unrelated type though.

I've been thinking that maybe fighting should be separated from rock & ground types to give them their own type (like 'earth') but keep using fighting energy and the colour brown, would probably help balance some issues with fighting being effective against too many types (normal, lightning and some darkness).

When playing the TCG for gameboy there are two separate gyms for grass / poison (called 'science') and fighting / rock (and ground, but simply called 'rock') so it might make sense now to do the same for the card energy types.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast