Pokemon TCG questions

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Pokemon TCG questions

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16

    Default Pokemon TCG questions

    I`m kind of a newbie. I`ve recently gained some interest in collecting pokemon cards.

    I was wondering if every card like commons have a foil version of it. I want to have a collection of all 649 Pokemon shining :O
    What is the best way to sort the cards in a binder? Cuz there seems to be a lot have cards that have multiple holos and I`m not sure if it`ll fit in a single sleeve.
    What`s better to do. Buy single holo cards (yeah I`m gonna work on holos before foils) or buy boooster boxes?

    Thank you guys

    Btw someone update the holographic cards on bulbapedia xD and on the card`s page add its number D: (3rd generation +)

  2. #2
    Pokéfriend! Bloop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    313
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Um, well, there's loads of different cards of each Pokémon from different sets. There's a reverse holo of each card that's common/uncommon since, well, I don't know when they started reverse holos. And some cards are normal holos but they're harder to get. I'm not sure why you'd just want to collect the 649 Pokémon but you're probably best looking on troll and toad, they're ridiculously cheap.

  3. #3
    Registered User Palbert6393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakamon View Post
    I`m kind of a newbie. I`ve recently gained some interest in collecting pokemon cards.

    I was wondering if every card like commons have a foil version of it. I want to have a collection of all 649 Pokemon shining :O
    What is the best way to sort the cards in a binder? Cuz there seems to be a lot have cards that have multiple holos and I`m not sure if it`ll fit in a single sleeve.
    What`s better to do. Buy single holo cards (yeah I`m gonna work on holos before foils) or buy boooster boxes?

    Thank you guys

    Btw someone update the holographic cards on bulbapedia xD and on the card`s page add its number D: (3rd generation +)
    There is foil version of every Pokemon (except Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect who haven't been released yet). However you may have trouble with Kadabra, since there are only 2 or 3 versions, all released before 2003.

    When sorting cards in a binder you should never put more than 2 cards into one pocket. Otherwise the pocket gets stretched out, if you only have one or two cards in it later it is likely to fall out. Your best bet is to organize it in number order, and put any extras in additional pages in the back.

    Umm... As for your question about what to buy, that largely depends on how complete your collection already is.

    BTW reverse holos started with the Legendary Collection.

    And when you say 'foils' are you referring to reverse holos, as opposed to regular holos?
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    There is foil version of every Pokemon (except Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect who haven't been released yet). However you may have trouble with Kadabra, since there are only 2 or 3 versions, all released before 2003.

    When sorting cards in a binder you should never put more than 2 cards into one pocket. Otherwise the pocket gets stretched out, if you only have one or two cards in it later it is likely to fall out. Your best bet is to organize it in number order, and put any extras in additional pages in the back.

    Umm... As for your question about what to buy, that largely depends on how complete your collection already is.

    BTW reverse holos started with the Legendary Collection.

    And when you say 'foils' are you referring to reverse holos, as opposed to regular holos?
    Yeah I mean reverse holos, since not all cards are holographic.
    As for what to buy, I basically have no cards. Starting fresh.
    >.<

  5. #5
    Registered User Palbert6393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Well, in booster box you will get 36 reverse holos, and approx. 12 holos for $100. If you were to go the single card route, you could probably get the mast vajority for about $1 a piece. So the single cards would probably be cheaper and result in less duplicates, however with boxes you would get more cards in general, and would get the enjoyment and thrill of opening packs.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Palbert6393 View Post
    Well, in booster box you will get 36 reverse holos, and approx. 12 holos for $100. If you were to go the single card route, you could probably get the mast vajority for about $1 a piece. So the single cards would probably be cheaper and result in less duplicates, however with boxes you would get more cards in general, and would get the enjoyment and thrill of opening packs.
    I wasn't sure about the boxes but it seems way better to buy the boxes according to what you're saying. Because idk, what is the pattern of a booster pack. By the look of your answer, you get a guaranteed reverse holo every booster pack and a few holos?? O_o

    Can a card can be holo and reverse holo at the same time??? I see in the Call of Legends and many other booster there's 2 holographic version of a legendary?? O_o
    Last edited by Pakamon; 10th April 2012 at 03:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User Arcanine03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakamon View Post
    I wasn't sure about the boxes but it seems way better to buy the boxes according to what you're saying. Because idk, what is the pattern of a booster pack. By the look of your answer, you get a guaranteed reverse holo every booster pack and a few holos?? O_o

    Can a card can be holo and reverse holo at the same time??? I see in the Call of Legends and many other booster there's 2 holographic version of a legendary?? O_o
    Booster boxes are definitely worth the investment if you have the money. The price per pack is cheaper in a booster box compared to buying them individually (especially when compared to the prices found at Target/Walmart/etc...). The only drawback is buying 36 packs at once which some can't afford. And yes, every pack has a reverse holo (which can be one of the common/uncommon/rare/holo's but not the Full art/ultra rare cards). You will get another card that is at least a black star rare (most likely scenario), but could also be a holo/full art/secret card.

    A card that is normally holo can be a reverse holo, but will not have the foil pattern on the character image like it usually does. And yes, there are some cards where there is a normal holo version of a card and a prime/ex/level x/full art version. For instance in the Call of Legends set, Deoxys has a normal holo version (2/95) and a shining ultra rare version (SL1). However, between the two of these only the normal holo will have a reverse holo version. Victini in the Noble Victories set has even more with 2 normal holo's and a Full art version (not to mention a regular rare card as well).

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine03 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakamon View Post
    I wasn't sure about the boxes but it seems way better to buy the boxes according to what you're saying. Because idk, what is the pattern of a booster pack. By the look of your answer, you get a guaranteed reverse holo every booster pack and a few holos?? O_o

    Can a card can be holo and reverse holo at the same time??? I see in the Call of Legends and many other booster there's 2 holographic version of a legendary?? O_o
    Booster boxes are definitely worth the investment if you have the money. The price per pack is cheaper in a booster box compared to buying them individually (especially when compared to the prices found at Target/Walmart/etc...). The only drawback is buying 36 packs at once which some can't afford. And yes, every pack has a reverse holo (which can be one of the common/uncommon/rare/holo's but not the Full art/ultra rare cards). You will get another card that is at least a black star rare (most likely scenario), but could also be a holo/full art/secret card.

    A card that is normally holo can be a reverse holo, but will not have the foil pattern on the character image like it usually does. And yes, there are some cards where there is a normal holo version of a card and a prime/ex/level x/full art version. For instance in the Call of Legends set, Deoxys has a normal holo version (2/95) and a shining ultra rare version (SL1). However, between the two of these only the normal holo will have a reverse holo version. Victini in the Noble Victories set has even more with 2 normal holo's and a Full art version (not to mention a regular rare card as well).
    Interesting, what do you know about a guaranteed EX or Full Art card in every box o.o

  9. #9
    Registered User Arcanine03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakamon View Post
    Interesting, what do you know about a guaranteed EX or Full Art card in every box o.o
    From my experience, it is around 2-3 Full art/Ultra rare cards per booster box. This is based on 4 booster boxes (for the black white sets). For example, I got the Full art Zekrom and the secret pikachu in BW, I got the Full art Thundurus and Tornadus in Emerging Powers, I got the Full art Cobalion and Virizion in Noble Victories, and lastly I got the Full art Shaymin, EX Shaymin, and EX Zekrom in Next Destinies.

    I collected when I was younger, but I had stopped collecting until the Black and White base set came out. I decided to make a good effort at collecting the cards and started buying the booster boxes. I agree with Palbert on the roughly 12 holos per booster box. You normally get nearly all non holo cards in the set doing this and most of the standard holos, but only 2-3 of the secret, full art, and ex cards which leaves a handful of cards you need to complete the set. Hope this helps.

  10. #10
    Registered User Palbert6393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    It is that way for BW sets, however HGSS sets had 6 primes and 2 legend halves, other than those I am not really sure

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    I would like to ask you a question regarding Pokemon Tins. Is the promo card holographic? For example the POKEMON | 2012 RESHIRAM EX Spring Collection Tin, is the Reshiram holographic? It says so on websites that I've found, but I'm just making sure because, there this shop that sells the Tin for 20$ but the single card alone for 18$ (Surprises me that it's only 2$ for 4 extra boosters lol)

  12. #12
    Registered User Thuzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    @Pakamon; There are five different versions of the Reshiram Card all with the same abilities. They are probably selling the Ultra Rare Holo 113/114 for 20 USD (Bit pricey if you ask me) and you get the Holo Reshiram BW Promo card in the tin. The Promo Card has Reshiram facing Left. All other Reshiram cards have the Pokemon facing right EXCEPT for the Reshiram EX Full Art Holo Rare (Which is worth closer to 20 USD)

  13. #13
    Registered User Palbert6393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuzle View Post
    @Pakamon; There are five different versions of the Reshiram Card all with the same abilities. They are probably selling the Ultra Rare Holo 113/114 for 20 USD (Bit pricey if you ask me) and you get the Holo Reshiram BW Promo card in the tin. The Promo Card has Reshiram facing Left. All other Reshiram cards have the Pokemon facing right EXCEPT for the Reshiram EX Full Art Holo Rare (Which is worth closer to 20 USD)
    Actually at the moment FA Reshiram has a value much closer to $10. But yes, all tin promos are holofoil.
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

  14. #14
    Registered User Arcanine03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Pokemon TCG questions

    You can also notice that a card is promo if it doesn't have the #/# in the bottom right corner. Instead it will say something like BW# Promo, DP# Promo, etc... (promo is written in a black star). Make sure to look at exactly which card it is because the promos are worth far less than the ones that come from the booster packs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •