Pokemon card spending tips please!

View Poll Results: How am I handling things financially?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have the right idea.

0 0%
  • I don't make enough money.

0 0%
  • I shouldn't buy the booster box

1 100.00%

Thread: Pokemon card spending tips please!

Master Loophole Artist peanutmchoho's Avatar

Default Pokemon card spending tips please!

I make $56.63 a month, and hope to play pokemon cards competitively. I'm currently buying a booster box (provides most of the non ultra rares I need/collecting is fun too) every set, but I'm not sure about the rest. will the $70 or so be enough for any singles I need to build good competitive decks often?
    Last edited by peanutmchoho; 21st July 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Default Re: Pokemon card spending tips please!

Depends on your luck with the boxes, how you spend money, what deck you plan on using, etc. Personally I'm skipping the Dragons Exalted Box in favor of two of each of the fall tins. Ill get at least twice as many EXS, and they'll all be really good ones.
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon card spending tips please!

Would not advise buying boxes. I've opened two boxes in my life, and I didn't buy either. One was a Triumphant box I traded for at Nationals 2011, and the other was the Next Destinies box I got for T4ing Regionals 2012. The Triumphant one was okay, and the Next Destinies box sucked. My only EXs were FA Reshiram and non-FA Reshiram.

I have pretty much anything I need to build competitive decks. I am an active trader, which helps, and I have a very large collection to begin with, which also helps. However, if you took the money you spend on boxes and just bought singles individually, you'd be able to build a few good decks. Once you shell out for some staples (Pokémon Catcher will be the most expensive), it should be relatively smooth sailing from there.

You'll have to limit yourself to some of the less expensive decks, though. For instance, I'm planning on building a deck centering around 4x Tornadus EX and 4x Shiny Rayquaza (this is a little secret: Rayquaza is in Dragons Exalted, but only as a shiny). That deck is going to be mad expensive, given that Quaza will be around a $50 card. Garchomp/Altaria will probably also be tier 1, and that is much, much cheaper. Try going that route.