Old cards

Thread: Old cards

Default Old cards

Since some pokemon cards are newer, with pre-evolved forms from the originals, how do they still allow them in the card games?
    Taylor Swift 4 life!!!!

Default Re: Old cards

those prevos are conidered babies which a basic pokemon can be put on but dont have to

Not sure if this answers the question, but I just interpret card texts literally, regardless of what set the card came from.

For example, if you have a pikachu card that says "evolves from pichu," then you can legally play it to evolve any pichu. Otherwise, it needs to be played as a basic. And if you have a pichu that has a power that allows it to evolve into a "pikachu," you can evolve it into any "pikachu."

There's a few new cards of baby pokemon that don't say than can evolve into anything, which I find pretty interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Deltah View Post
    Not sure if this answers the question, but I just interpret card texts literally, regardless of what set the card came from.

For example, if you have a pikachu card that says "evolves from pichu," then you can legally play it to evolve any pichu. Otherwise, it needs to be played as a basic. And if you have a pichu that has a power that allows it to evolve into a "pikachu," you can evolve it into any "pikachu."

There's a few new cards of baby pokemon that don't say than can evolve into anything, which I find pretty interesting!
    There is no pikachu card that says it evolves from pichu, while all pichu say on its card you can evolve it into pikachu. Since all pikachu are basic pokemon, meaning that it can be played by itself, or on top of pichu. Also, the pokemon that are commonly considered babies (togepi and riolu), but were released in the same region as one of their evolved forms do not carry over this effect. With the exception of SP and card effects, all Togetic and Lucario cannot be played as basic pokemon, they must be played on their preevolution.
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

I think the original post is based on a misconception. It is not old pokemon that are disallowed in TCG play; it is old pokemon cards. (i.e. cards from sets released a while back; this system continues to 'roll' with each year.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nytik View Post
    I think the original post is based on a misconception. It is not old pokemon that are disallowed in TCG play; it is old pokemon cards. (i.e. cards from sets released a while back; this system continues to 'roll' with each year.)
    I think you are correct. The way it was written made it confusing. Nevertheless, my post about babies may still answer other peoples questions
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion