A new game style

Thread: A new game style

Master of Masters The Master Duh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb A new game style

Not sure if this is the right forum...

But I devised a new way to play the TCG:

I call it, the 'Full Hand Deck'.

What you do, is shuffle your deck, then set down 8 Prize Cards (they go quick). Then, look at your deck, and separate the Pokemon from the Trainers and the Energies. (don't show them to your opponent!) After that is finished, I like to organize mine by stage. Then you lay your Basic Pokemon down. If you have a semi-normal deck, it is impossible to get a mulligan. Play proceeds as normal, except for drawing a card at the beginning of the turn. So, you cannot be decked, either. The only way to lose is to run out of Basic Pokemon or taking the Prize Cards. (I have run out of Basic Pokemon before, but they got the prize cards before they were all dead)

This makes for a very even match, considering most of the TCG relies on luck. (what you get on your first draw, etc.)

Now, some of the Trainer cards and a few of the attack/'Abilities' can be difficult. What I do, is whenever it says 'Deck', I typically discuss with the opponent if we will ignore it or call the Discard Pile the deck, as well as the DP. More often than not, we agree to ignore it.

There are some cards that I ban when I play, such as Lookers Investigation, because it can completely demolish your opponents hand. Not to mention, a certain Gengar can do absolute havoc with it's Poltergeist move.

I also ignore all effects of Rainbow and other special Energy Cards, especially Double Colorless.

This is how I test my decks, and it can be very fun to play this way. However, some battles can be VERY long (once I had one that went for 2 hours). I also use the Double Battle format, where you can attach 2 energies per turn.
    The Master Duh speaks in third-person. The Master Duh doesn't like your signature. The Master Duh likes his signature, and only his, unless otherwise posted. The Master Duh wishes you to change your signature to 6 bananas. By doing so, you hereby agree to the Terms & Conditions.

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A new game style

There are too many cards you'd have to ban.

4x Scoop Up
    4x Super Scoop Up
    4x TGI Poke Turn
    4x Junk Arm
    4x Crobat G
    1x Spiritomb LA

That's about 200 damage right there... spread around in any way I want. If you have your whole deck in your hand, there are a lot of combos that can just completely demolish the opponent's entire field. Unless I'm missing the idea?

There's an unlimited OTK deck that partially uses the combo above that uses Professor Oak and whatnot to draw the whole deck in one turn and then lay down like 400 damage for a T1 win.

Master of Masters The Master Duh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A new game style

I don't think there would be a problem with the Scoop Ups, and I have Crobat G. He almost always gets KO'd before he can do anything.

I put out my Ho-Oh Legend once against a Machamp, and Machamo knocked Ho-Oh out in one hit- with one energy.

And, you sort of are, because it is meant to test the decks, not win with them. Although it is fun to do that sometimes. :)

Yeah, this is an easier way to set up a Pokemon with full energy, then see how he does in a 'completely' even battle. It's also meant to achieve a time of a regular game, with a full bench of Stage 2s, earlier in the game, to save time, but still have the effects of playing a full game.

Although they are not using the BW rules yet, technically, if you had the Machamp mentioned earlier, you could play Broken Time-Space, and evolve Machop-Machoke-Machamp, attach the 1 energy, and win. Because it knocks out ANY unevolved Pokemon in one hit. (this includes Mewtwo LV.X and ALL of the Legends)
    Last edited by The Master Duh; 16th May 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Adding another fact
    The Master Duh speaks in third-person. The Master Duh doesn't like your signature. The Master Duh likes his signature, and only his, unless otherwise posted. The Master Duh wishes you to change your signature to 6 bananas. By doing so, you hereby agree to the Terms & Conditions.