Thread: Jungle Tauros

Default Jungle Tauros

* Type
    60 HP
    Fist x2
    Eyeball -30
    Retreat: **

** Stomp 20+
    Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 damage plus 10 more damage; if tails, this attack does 20 damage.

*** Rampage 20+
    Does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each damage counter on Tauros. Flip a coin. If tails, Tauros is now Confused (after doing damage)
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Why was this card never used back in the day? For a double colorless he does 20-40 and for a DCE and an energy he can do up to 70 damage as a last resort. I think he is a good card and underrated, I used him in my TCG deck and he was MVP even better than electabuzz. SO WHY DO I NOT SEE HIM ON ANY DECKLIST?

Default Re: Jungle Tauros

Raw damage is almost never considered a really good trait for any card unless its super high or super cheap to do. If you compare Tauros to the Basic Rares from the Jungle set you'll see he lack a lot of utility. A majority of the Rare Basics have a utility aspect such as ignoring status, drawing cards, ignoring large amounts of damage. Combined with some of the Base Set Trainer cards (Potion, Super Potion, Scoop Up) damage on a basic with 90 HP (Snorlax, Khangaskhan) or even with an expanded HP (Mr. Mime) can just sit there and wait out your Energy Removal/Super Energy Removal.

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Haymaker was a huge archetype back then, so anything with a Fighting weakness was susceptible to Hitmonchan. In this case, Hitmonchan 2HKO'd Tauros for one energy (or 1HKO'd it with a PlusPower). That's not to say that anything with a Fighting weakness was not viable; Wigglytuff was a highly-played archetype, but Wigglytuff also outclassed Tauros in every way. Higher damage output, mainly.

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Haymaker was a huge archetype back then, so anything with a Fighting weakness was susceptible to Hitmonchan. In this case, Hitmonchan 2HKO'd Tauros for one energy (or 1HKO'd it with a PlusPower). That's not to say that anything with a Fighting weakness was not viable; Wigglytuff was a highly-played archetype, but Wigglytuff also outclassed Tauros in every way. Higher damage output, mainly.