IDEA: Bulbagarden league

Thread: IDEA: Bulbagarden league

Default IDEA: Bulbagarden league

This is an idea I've kind of been throwing around in my head for a while. When it got mentioned in another thread I decided to bring it up here.
    Is this something you guys are interested in trying?
    Also what would your preferred method be? Redshark, Skype, PTCGO, other?
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

Default Re: IDEA: Bulbagarden league

Ive used PTCGO and PlayTCG. The secondary programs necessary for RedShark can be bothersome. As for the TPCi, Skype would be best for them to promote further purchases of physical media. Not everyone has a camera that can be pointed at the play area and still be able to see the screen. PTCGO still has a few bugs in it that are noted on the PTCGO Forums and it limits you to the Modified Constructed Format. With PlayTCG you can play Unlimited if you wish.

I would prefer PlayTCG as the primary choice for the Bublagarden League!

Quote Originally Posted by Thuzle View Post
    Ive used PTCGO and PlayTCG. The secondary programs necessary for RedShark can be bothersome. As for the TPCi, Skype would be best for them to promote further purchases of physical media. Not everyone has a camera that can be pointed at the play area and still be able to see the screen. PTCGO still has a few bugs in it that are noted on the PTCGO Forums and it limits you to the Modified Constructed Format. With PlayTCG you can play Unlimited if you wish.

I would prefer PlayTCG as the primary choice for the Bublagarden League!
    One thing I think I need to make clear. At least for the time being this will not be an official Play!Pokemon event. That is something I would like to look into if I ever pass the professor exam.

As for the media, I agree PTCGO is probably to buggy at the time being. To my knowledge there are no extra program to use redshark (other than itself). Redshark also allows unlimited.
    I'm not familiar with PlayTCG, so at the moment I have no opinion on it.
    Skype is actually my preferred method. If this ever becomes a Play!TCG event, skype would actually be the only option. But I do prefer it in the fact that it forces you to use cards you own, which I feel is appropriate for a league.
    Pokemon TCG discussion

@Palbert6393; I'm not sure if you can run an online league that way. The concern is Player!Points and Professor!Points, how are you going to get them scorecards and promotional materials. You can run a non-sanctioned League, but without a League Organizer/Leader present for all battles, getting points for attendance might be a bother. If you need help studying for the Professors Exam, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Thuzle View Post
    @Palbert6393; I'm not sure if you can run an online league that way. The concern is Player!Points and Professor!Points, how are you going to get them scorecards and promotional materials. You can run a non-sanctioned League, but without a League Organizer/Leader present for all battles, getting points for attendance might be a bother. If you need help studying for the Professors Exam, let me know!
    I think you misunderstood me somewhere. At the moment "league" is a very loose term, this is not something for player or professor points. It'll basically be a small section of the forums devoted to setting up battles and tournaments. Thats really about it. At some point in the future (provided interest is high enough) I might look into PLay!Points and rewards. But for now this will be completely independant of Play!TCG.
    Pokemon TCG discussion

Oh , I understand that for right now it is very informal, I was just thinking about in the future. I look forward to having an active TCG Community on this board!

I wouldn't be interested since I don't play, but here's how I used to play cards online: just to go into an AIM chatroom and type everything out. I've never done it for Pokémon but I have for Yu-Gi-Oh!. There's even a built-in feature (or there used to be) that would roll a die, so you can easily use it for coin flips. The only problem is that you have to rely on honour and trust that no one's cheating, since you can't see what the other person's doing on his side (whether he's peeking at his deck or rearanging the cards or drawing an extra card or playing cards that he doesn't even have, etc.). The only other problem is that it's not at all graphical so you need to either keep everything in memory or constantly check what's previously been typed out in the chat (which could slow the game down if you and your opponent are constantly doing it every turn).

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    I wouldn't be interested since I don't play, but here's how I used to play cards online: just to go into an AIM chatroom and type everything out. I've never done it for Pokémon but I have for Yu-Gi-Oh!. There's even a built-in feature (or there used to be) that would roll a die, so you can easily use it for coin flips. The only problem is that you have to rely on honour and trust that no one's cheating, since you can't see what the other person's doing on his side (whether he's peeking at his deck or rearanging the cards or drawing an extra card or playing cards that he doesn't even have, etc.). The only other problem is that it's not at all graphical so you need to either keep everything in memory or constantly check what's previously been typed out in the chat (which could slow the game down if you and your opponent are constantly doing it every turn).
    I thought about chats, but I don't really like th idea, given how hard it can be to keep track of the game, and how easy it is to cheat.
    Pokemon TCG discussion