I wanna get into the competitive side of the TCG, but dunno what I'm doing.

Thread: I wanna get into the competitive side of the TCG, but dunno what I'm doing.

Default I wanna get into the competitive side of the TCG, but dunno what I'm doing.

I've been trying to get into the Card Game for a while now. I have loads of cards, not very many particularly special ones, but I mostly buy for the codes, since I don't really have anyone to play with IRL.

However, I'm really bad at deck building. Like, I don't really understand what it is I should be looking at within a deck, like what's good and what's not, and if I should just be looking at attack strength or if there's more strategy to it than I'm giving it credit for.

Would anyone be able to give me any advice? If possible I'd like to build some kind og Electric/Psychic deck, just xause those are my two favourite types, but I guess I'm just looking for general advice.

Also, is there any real better way of buying cards in bulk other than the boosters? I've bought a few tins, like the Zekrom EX ones to get the promo cards to make a deck, but like I say, it's not AS important since I really just want the codes. (That's not to say, however, that I wouldn't be interested in building an IRL deck too, just in case I end up at a convention or something)

Anyone wanna help me out?

Default Re: I wanna get into the competitive side of the TCG, but dunno what I'm doing.

I won't leave you without a response :P My suggestion would be look at some of the public decks on PlayTCG to see what most people are doing these days. A lot of the current Metagame (Who plays what type/deck) is focused on Basic/EX Cards that don't require evolution. Other concepts are acceleration and setup of you basic strategy. This means getting out a specific card, getting enough energy on it, blah blah blah.

Recently I made a deck designed to oppose Lock Decks (Vanillux/Articuno Main) by using the Dark Explorers Espeon (Prevents effects on any of your Pokemon with energy attached) and relying on status effects rather than damage. It needs some tweaking because its trying to do too many things XD.

As for bulk cards, I would say boxes for physical cards. Lots are a wash of Common and Uncommon, where the good cards are removed and sold. You can buy Booster Cards for the PTCGO in bulk for 25-10 cents a piece which is an excellent deal if you don't care to collect physical cards.

So quickly back to deck building. The basic idea is to find a card/combo of cards that will be your main method of winning (Stalling, Prizes, Benching, Lost World) and then take cards (Pokemon, Trainers, Energy) that will assist in that goal. You have to worry about counter arguments however (Catcher, Switch, Heals, Stadiums, Vileplume) and be ready for them. The most simple analogy is writing an essay. Bring out your main idea, support it with arguments and preempt the hell out of counter-arguments. ENJOY!
    Last edited by Maverick Nate; 29th May 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Default Re: I wanna get into the competitive side of the TCG, but dunno what I'm doing.

It all seems a lot more complex than I'd originally anticipated.. :L thanks a bunch