how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

  1. #1
    Registered User Pokemonfreakforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    15

    Talking how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    I went to the market one day and i saw some pokemon cards (they were original)for only $5 i was amazed i opende it it came with a really good blastiose and mewtwo.And i was wondering are these fakes.so i wanted to know the difference between real and fake old cards.PLEASE AWNSER SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Can you upload pictures of any sort? Else, try following this guide. I don't believe Blastoise and Mewtwo could come in the same pack, though.

  3. #3
    Registered User Palbert6393's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    immewnity is correct about them being unable to come out of the same pack. If you hold them up to a light, if they are fake they will be more transparent then others
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Come! Bring life to the TCG Sections of the forums!!!
    Pokemon Buy, Sell, and Trade
    Pokemon TCG discussion

  4. #4
    Disaster approaches... BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    At a computer somewhere.
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Palbert6393 View Post
    immewnity is correct about them being unable to come out of the same pack. If you hold them up to a light, if they are fake they will be more transparent then others
    Apparently, that doesn't work on some of the newer fakes. The tips in the previously posted guide are very helpful, though.
    Current activity: Playing through Platinum for the first time.

    1. Find shiny Pokemon
    2. Determine Secret ID
    3. RNG to my heart's content!

    Last updated April 17, 2012

  5. #5
    Gabite Evolved! Krookodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pwning Cleffa
    Posts
    557
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    The main thing to look out for on a real card is this:
    é
    The fake cards don't use the accent e on pokémon

  6. #6
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabite View Post
    The main thing to look out for on a real card is this:
    é
    The fake cards don't use the accent e on pokémon
    Some use the accented e.

    The main thing to look for is font differences, especially for attacks and HP.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    You're in luck, my friend. I happen to own the March 2000 issue of Pojo's Unofficial Pokémon, which has an article on this very subject.

    They give an example of an American Pikachu card and a counterfeit. The "authentic card
    is thicker, has a more purple tone and bolder lettering".

    The article notes that American WotC cards are two-ply (two thinner pieces of paper glued together). While authentic American WotC cards will pass the light test, authentic Japanese cards will NOT, due to differences in how they are printed. Authentic German cards, however, will pass the light test. The article doesn't mention other countries specifically, but it does say that "WotC is obviously trying to make its international cards harder to counterfeit than the Japanese originals".

    Lastly, the article notes that some counterfeits DO pass the light test, so be wary.

  8. #8
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
    You're in luck, my friend. I happen to own the March 2000 issue of Pojo's Unofficial Pokémon, which has an article on this very subject.

    They give an example of an American Pikachu card and a counterfeit. The "authentic card
    is thicker, has a more purple tone and bolder lettering".

    The article notes that American WotC cards are two-ply (two thinner pieces of paper glued together). While authentic American WotC cards will pass the light test, authentic Japanese cards will NOT, due to differences in how they are printed. Authentic German cards, however, will pass the light test. The article doesn't mention other countries specifically, but it does say that "WotC is obviously trying to make its international cards harder to counterfeit than the Japanese originals".

    Lastly, the article notes that some counterfeits DO pass the light test, so be wary.
    A lot has changed since 11 years ago. All international cards (minus Japan, Korea, China, and other Pokemon Asia controlled regions) are made of 3 parts: a thin white sheet, a very thin, sturdier black sheet, and another thin white sheet. Many fakes lack the black sheet, but not all.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Well, he was talking about old cards, so it should still apply...

  10. #10
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
    Well, he was talking about old cards, so it should still apply...
    I'm saying that the information you provides is incorrect; from 1st edition Base Set to current, all non-Asia cards have had a black middle.

  11. #11
    #winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    2,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    We need pictures.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by immewnity View Post
    I'm saying that the information you provides is incorrect; from 1st edition Base Set to current, all non-Asia cards have had a black middle.
    Where'd you get that information? Do you have a source?

  13. #13
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: how can you tell Old fake pokemon cards

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
    Where'd you get that information? Do you have a source?
    Numerous years into the game, and my own collection of other-language cards. Plus, other fake checking. I'm known as "Fake Master" at my League for determining fakes. (although the title makes it sound like I make them... -_-)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •