Help in understanding the TCG Metagame?

Thread: Help in understanding the TCG Metagame?

Blog Entries

Red face Help in understanding the TCG Metagame?

Hey I've been trying to get into the Pokemon TCG some since im really into the VG but im having troubles getting into the metagame of the TCG. Is there anyone who could help me understand it some more? I tried making a deck of physcic and electric deck, but i never went to league to try it out( got nervous of people there) maybe give me some pointers on strategy and info on whats popular and such? thanks
    Saudade

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help in understanding the TCG Metagame?

Sure thing! Glad you asked, as when people ask about this kind of thing in the future, I can easily point them to this thread as opposed to having to explain it over and over.

The TCG metagame swings around a lot when each new set is released, since people want to try out the new cards and more often than not, good decks stem from a card or two from each set. However, in any metagame there are decks that have major staying power... two years ago, the biggest deck was Gardevoir SW/Gallade SW, which had a solid drawing/searching engine and could hit for tremendous damage. Now, probably the most solid deck in the game is Garchomp C/Dialga G. Dialga G can trainer-lock the opponent with "Deafen" and hit for decent damage with "Second Strike," while the Lv.X shuts off Poké-BODIES and hits for even more damage with "Remove Lost." Garchomp C Lv.X heals damage off Dialga G and can snipe the opponent's support Pokémon with "Dragon Rush." I'm probably going into too much detail here, but probably the greatest thing about Dialga G/Garchomp C is its ability to take advantage of the extremely strong SP engine, which utilizes cards like Cyrus' Conspiracy and SP Radar to reach a fast, effective setup.

The most important thing any meta deck needs is a solid engine. An engine is a group of cards that allows you to draw and search to get your main attacker and support Pokémon out. The most popular engine component right now is Claydol GE. Look it up on Bulbapedia... it's very good. :] The other most popular, effective choice is the aforementioned SP engine. Other things that can work are a Turn 2 engine, which uses few Pokémon and lots and lots of drawing Trainers to get setup ASAP. Since you're a beginner, I'd say your best option would be putting a 2-2 Claydol GE line into your deck. That will help your speed and consistency immensely.

Now, since you're really asking about the meta, I'll give you a list of some big decks right now...
    - Gengar Porter (Gengar AR [Curse] with Spiritomb AR)
    - Garchomp C/Dialga G
    - Garchomp C/Dialga G/Luxray GL
    - Luxray GL/Blaziken FB
    - Jumpluff HGSS
    - Flygon RR/Donphan Prime
    - Flygon RR/Nidoqueen RR
    - Donphan Prime
    - Palkia Lock (Palkia G/Mesprit LA, other stuff :P)
    - Gyarados SF
    - Shuppet donk (Shuppet PT)

There are definitely some decks I'm forgetting, but the metagame is pretty varied right now. The best option for a beginner is to try out a lot of decks with different engines and see what ends up best suiting your playing style. Two decks I'd definitely try out are any one of the SP variants listed above, and some type of Flygon RR deck. Those are very different (but both good) decks that may give you an idea of what playing style best suits you.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully I'll get you a faster reply this time.

Blog Entries

Thanks alot that helped!! I'm getting it more I think and it's kinda crazy how much the meta for the TCG changes! Also one more thing idk why but I'm am having troubles getting myself to go to league xD(I'm pretty shy in real life) so it going to be hard for me to test out my deck until I work up the courage to try it xD
    Saudade

NintendoLand Castle, NintendoLand (or Phoenix, AZ)

Quote Originally Posted by NoirTHECHA View Post
    Thanks alot that helped!! I'm getting it more I think and it's kinda crazy how much the meta for the TCG changes! Also one more thing idk why but I'm am having troubles getting myself to go to league xD(I'm pretty shy in real life) so it going to be hard for me to test out my deck until I work up the courage to try it xD
    Dude, if the League I go to is any indication, then you'll love it. The people there are mostly friendly and looking to have a good time. Expect sarcasm and snarkiness, as will often come with any game league. XD

Also, my advice on the Metagame - don't follow it. Just play what you want! It's about fun, right? also ignore the fact that I HATE Jumpluff decks
    <under construction>

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoirTHECHA View Post
    Don't. Worry. League Leaders will be used to having people with little experience show up. They'll help you get used to it, and you'll find that League is a great place to meet new friends. The people there are invariably very friendly, and they'll be genuinely interested in talking to you and introducing you to the world of competitive play.

I mean, come on. With the exception of child molesters, what kind of person can love Pokémon and be unfriendly?

that take s time

buy ugly betty dvd