Anyone Play Pokemon TCG Online? You should! Here's why ;) - Page 8
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Play Pokemon TCG Online? You should! Here's why ;)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone Play Pokemon TCG Online? You should! Here's why ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    Interesting to see someone using Goodra. I was just tearing everything up with Zoroark. I also used Plasma Kyurem at one point, but I felt more comfortable with Zoroark. XD
    I have my own quirky Yveltal/Zoroark/Radiant Cinccino deck. (I love evasion and don't have four Zoroarks yet.)
    Ran it twice. Got out-Dark'd once in round one and the other time someone exploited a loophole using Aegislash and Keldeo-ex. Of all days to stop using Lysandre.

Would be fun to play in one of these tournaments myself but I work most afternoons :(

Anyway, one AI match I had was over in just three turns:
    Game: "Would you like to give a nickname to the newly hatched [Pokémon]?"
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onigiri View Post
    I dunno... I do that if someone has all EX cards and I have literally nothing to compete with. The reason being is that people with EX decks take forever to play a turn because they use so many cards, and I'm just sitting there waiting for them to slaughter me. It's pretty boring, especially if all they have to do is tap me once, and I'm done. Not gonna wait 3 minutes for them to play every card they possibly can.
    Now I really want to build an EX-slaying deck just so I can troll decks like that...
    • Bouffalant, Vaporeon - Gold Breaker does extra damage (double or more) to Pokemon EX
    • Jolteon - Electri-Defuse prevents Pokemon-EX from attacking next turn
    • Suicune - Ability nullifies everything from a Pokemon-EX
    • Pyroar - Ability nullifies all damage from Basic Pokemon (including Pokemon-EX but not Megas)
    i pulled jolteon with that exact ability...if only it wasn't non tradeable!! :P

on a side note...i keep on running into people using a lot of EX pokemon..so i of course will get beaten easily..
    it's just a matter of fairness though..because...that..is obviously not fair on my end... :P
    i probrably can't bring myself to play ranked with theme decks because all of them just seem a bit weaker in general. even if the opponent is also using a theme deck, i am not that used to playing decks i didn't customize myself... :P
    now, for the starters in trainer challenge..they a re CPU, so it is more manageable..but real players.....not so much, i guess.

i of course could also try getting real packs, but then the codes are only for 1 card, right? i'm guessing the card you get is completely randomized, so i can't really know if i will even be getting omething i can use.. :P

tough life, when you start new, i suppose.... :P
    i do have a bit over 365 points though..almost to the 500 mark........might get it by tomorrow, i believe..

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by true snivy lord View Post
    i of course could also try getting real packs, but then the codes are only for 1 card, right? i'm guessing the card you get is completely randomized, so i can't really know if i will even be getting omething i can use.. :P
    Actually, the code depicted on a code card is good for an entire pack on PTCGO. I believe the pack will be of the same set as the physical pack containing the code card. Whether the contents within are randomized or not, though, I can't be sure; I've never actually gotten a physical booster pack before. XD
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Onigiri View Post
    I dunno... I do that if someone has all EX cards and I have literally nothing to compete with. The reason being is that people with EX decks take forever to play a turn because they use so many cards, and I'm just sitting there waiting for them to slaughter me. It's pretty boring, especially if all they have to do is tap me once, and I'm done. Not gonna wait 3 minutes for them to play every card they possibly can.
    Now I really want to build an EX-slaying deck just so I can troll decks like that...
    • Bouffalant, Vaporeon - Gold Breaker does extra damage (double or more) to Pokemon EX
    • Jolteon - Electri-Defuse prevents Pokemon-EX from attacking next turn
    • Suicune - Ability nullifies everything from a Pokemon-EX
    • Pyroar - Ability nullifies all damage from Basic Pokemon (including Pokemon-EX but not Megas)
    i just checked and i read it wrong i guess, or looked at the wrong menu...
    my jolteon IS TRADEABLE...i'll even throw in a LATIOS EX THAT I JUST GOT FROM THE MYSTERY THING FROM THE WHEEL

i probrably can't bring myself to play ranked with theme decks because all of them just seem a bit weaker in general. even if the opponent is also using a theme deck, i am not that used to playing decks i didn't customize myself... :P
    That's why you spend time playing the theme deck against the AI first to get used to it, figure out which Pokemon work best and when to play your items. The Emboar deck is actually pretty powerful once you get your Mons evolved (it includes Emboar and Blaziken, for one). The Serperior deck includes a Town Map (reveals your Prize cards) and Rescue Scarf (return a KO'ed Pokemon to your hand instead of discarding it), plus Serperior's best attack heals itself, while in the Samurott deck you have a Lapras that can hit Benched Pokemon and Samurott's best attack forces the opponent to discard one Energy, which can effectively paralyze them if the opponent doesn't (or can't) restock their Energy level.

I am a little disappoint with the Fennekin deck, though ... for something billed as "full of powerful moves", in the entire deck there is only ONE Pokemon with any move over 50 power -- Delphox's Flamethrower (which costs 4 Energy, and you have to discard one after using it). Granted, 120 power is enough to one-shot a large swath of opposing Pokemon, but the 4 Energy cost means you have to save it until the late game and stick it out with mid-range 'Mons like Mightyena (40-60 damage output for 2 energy) and Furfrou (20-50 damage output from 2-3 Energy).

Whereas I do like the Frost Ray and Brilliant Thunder decks. In Frost Ray, Jolteon can hit for 20-80 damage for just one Energy, and Glaceon's ability lets you swap out basically all your Plasma Pokemon in the deck for free. Noctowl is nothing to sneeze at if your opponent has a large hand, and Vanilluxe's attack get absurdly powerful the more Energy you attach to it. In the Brilliant Thunder deck, that's not a Pidgeot, that's a Bird Jesus; and Luxio is your comeback kid if you're on the losing side of a match.

Code cards generally redeem the same type of thing you got with the physical code card. E.g. codes from theme decks unlock that theme deck (cards and coin included, all tradable); codes from promos unlock that promo card; codes from booster packs unlock whole booster packs. And I would not assume that code cards from booster packs unlock that exact booster pack with the exact cards (sure it might be nice, but I really doubt it).

BTW, be warned that if you have a combination of tradable and trade-locked booster packs (of the same set), it seems the tradable ones are opened first. Boo. Easy to work around, though -- just post the tradable ones as a trade offer (e.g, make it an 8-hour trade for the same quantity/set), because when you post something for trade it's temporarily removed from your collection (i.e. until the trade closes).
    Last edited by Stratelier; 11th July 2014 at 02:33 AM.
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

That's why you spend time playing the theme deck against the AI first to get used to it, figure out which Pokemon work best and when to play your items. The Emboar deck is actually pretty powerful once you get your Mons evolved (it includes Emboar and Blaziken, for one). The Serperior deck includes a Town Map (reveals your Prize cards) and Rescue Scarf (return a KO'ed Pokemon to your hand instead of discarding it), plus Serperior's best attack heals itself, while in the Samurott deck you have a Lapras that can hit Benched Pokemon and Samurott's best attack forces the opponent to discard one Energy, which can effectively paralyze them if the opponent doesn't (or can't) restock their Energy level.

I am a little disappoint with the Fennekin deck, though ... for something billed as "full of powerful moves", in the entire deck there is only ONE Pokemon with any move over 50 power -- Delphox's Flamethrower (which costs 4 Energy, and you have to discard one after using it). Granted, 120 power is enough to one-shot a large swath of opposing Pokemon, but the 4 Energy cost means you have to save it until the late game and stick it out with mid-range 'Mons like Mightyena (40-60 damage output for 2 energy) and Furfrou (20-50 damage output from 2-3 Energy).

Whereas I do like the Frost Ray and Brilliant Thunder decks. In Frost Ray, Jolteon can hit for 20-80 damage for just one Energy, and Glaceon's ability lets you swap out basically all your Plasma Pokemon in the deck for free. Noctowl is nothing to sneeze at if your opponent has a large hand, and Vanilluxe's attack get absurdly powerful the more Energy you attach to it. In the Brilliant Thunder deck, that's not a Pidgeot, that's a Bird Jesus; and Luxio is your comeback kid if you're on the losing side of a match.

Code cards generally redeem the same type of thing you got with the physical code card. E.g. codes from theme decks unlock that theme deck (cards and coin included, all tradable); codes from promos unlock that promo card; codes from booster packs unlock whole booster packs. And I would not assume that code cards from booster packs unlock that exact booster pack with the exact cards (sure it might be nice, but I really doubt it).

BTW, be warned that if you have a combination of tradable and trade-locked booster packs (of the same set), it seems the tradable ones are opened first. Boo. Easy to work around, though -- just post the tradable ones as a trade offer (e.g, make it an 8-hour trade for the same quantity/set), because when you post something for trade it's temporarily removed from your collection (i.e. until the trade closes).
    oh. ok.

hm..getting close to my 1st 500 to be able to get a deck.
    which water deck has the best water pokemon and cards, of the choices available at the store? which one would likely have cards that would be the most benefitial to me at this point?

which water deck has the best water pokemon and cards, of the choices available at the store? which one would likely have cards that would be the most benefitial to me at this point?
    So far I've only played the Solar Strike and Frost Ray decks personally, but between those two I definitely prefer Frost Ray. It's got a better Energy distribution (9 Water and 9 Electric vs. 12 Water and 6 Fire) and just seems to set up quicker. It's also got a more diverse array of weaknesses/resistances (e.g. includes both Water and Ice Pokemon). Solar Strike bills itself as a Fire-centric deck but it's really a Water-centric deck -- Larvesta/Volcarona are literally the only Fire-types on the team and Volcarona's Solar Transporter is more often than not a waste of good cards (draw 5 cards but discard anything that's not a Team Plasma card) so the firebug is really only good for Leech Life; while Blastoise's Deluge ability lets you play as much Energy as you want during your turn but it only works on Water Energy.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 11th July 2014 at 02:43 PM.

So far I've only played the Solar Strike and Frost Ray decks personally, but between those two I definitely prefer Frost Ray. It's got a better Energy distribution (9 Water and 9 Electric vs. 12 Water and 6 Fire) and just seems to set up quicker. It's also got a more diverse array of weaknesses/resistances (e.g. includes both Water and Ice Pokemon). Solar Strike bills itself as a Fire-centric deck but it's really a Water-centric deck -- Larvesta/Volcarona are literally the only Fire-types on the team and Volcarona's Solar Transporter is more often than not a waste of good cards (draw 5 cards but discard anything that's not a Team Plasma card) so the firebug is really only good for Leech Life; while Blastoise's Deluge ability lets you play as much Energy as you want during your turn but it only works on Water Energy.
    deluge could really help me out...
    so which deck of those 2 has him?

EDIT:
    kind of silly question..it seems he was in solar strike.
    i found some decent cards..and a suicune! maybe i will get about 3 more of that to have more copies of the cards i want to use.
    Last edited by true snivy lord; 11th July 2014 at 07:05 PM.

Yes, Solar Strike has one Suicune. I picked it up for that reason, but the rest . . . .

so what set did the first code cards come out?
    i just want to know which packs would be the earliest ones with codes so i know whether to modify my online deck to be just a bit differently, if the codes only started appearing only recently...
    like for example, were they practically non existent until a certain set?
    i.e. they did not have code cards until the gen 4 packs, for example?
    just wondering, if i were to get any of the older packs...would be awkward i bought $20 worth of old packs and found no code cards in them!! :P

I think they started around the Gen 5 (BW basic set) sets. I found a few packs that included cards from the DPP Supreme Victors set ($10 for a foil Klink promo and 3 booster packs? That saves $2 compared to 3 booster packs directly) and they didn't have any codes (or references to the TCGO whatsoever).

Blog Entries

Farthest back I found code cards for was Noble Victories (Victini tin), which I find odd.

I've also cracked packs of the first two BW sets. And if the TCGO goes as far back as HS Base set (five before them), why didn't they have any code cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    Farthest back I found code cards for was Noble Victories (Victini tin), which I find odd.

I've also cracked packs of the first two BW sets. And if the TCGO goes as far back as HS Base set (five before them), why didn't they have any code cards?
    The first set with code cards was indeed BW. They went back to HS online because, at the time, that was the playable Standard format. When you redeemed a code card, you had a choice as to which pack you got.

Played a quick theme match and it turned out to be Frost Ray vs. Brilliant Thunder (currently my two favorite decks). I don't know why the game thinks Brilliant Thunder has a type advantage over Frost Ray -- it doesn't. I was able to set up Jolteon early and start doing moderate damage with Pin Missile. When they got Rapidash up, I had to take Jolteon out of action, but I was able to get Vaporeon in not long after that and start healing. Then they gave up the match (no offense taken; the match was already 3-0 in my favor).

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast