advice needed!

Thread: advice needed!

Default advice needed!

hello all!
    i wanted to ask for an advice about something.
    many years ago i worked in a toystore who sold pokemon cards. (i am no longer working there)
    since i live in israel ? and the pokemon frenchise is long dead? the shop owner (who over the years beacame my friend) , never came around to sell the lot of cards she had, most of those are commens and uncommens. i believe all those cards came from opening packs.
    there are thosends of cards (look at the pic)

half of them are japanese cards, and half english. all of them are base set to the neo sets.
    she didnt cared much for the cards, and the boxes they were stored in got dystroyed over the years, and the cards just spilled all over the floor where ppl walk on them. :-\
    anyhow, i told here i will take them, orgnize them. and do my best to sell them .
    do you think this is something that can happen ? or should i just recycle them?
    we are not trying to make millions, and i really thought someone might be intrested.
    and as a collector myself? i could not see the state some of the cards were in.
    needless to say ? 90 % of the cards are in mint to near mint condition. i allready sorted them out. and throw away the really bad shape ones.
    any advice???
    thanks!
    and if this isnt the right place to post it? let me know :)

Blog Entries

Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

Default Re: advice needed!

I don't know how popular Pokemon is in Israel, because if it were as you say the franchise is dead, whether people know about them anymore or not, or care about Pokemon, is an issue.

Having said that, if I assume the cards were sold in a place or country with a good number of fans, and if you're not trying to make a lot of money out of these, you could just sell them individually, for the people who are looking for specific cards, or just random cards they come across and fall in love with. That said, it might leave you with a lot of unpopular cards, in that case you could try grouping them with other similar but more popular cards and sell them as a set of 3, 4, 5 or even more.

But I'm expecting a lot of unpopular cards, since collectors usually have the common cards already and only care about the rare ones, so you're best treat these cards as some miscellaneous items in your store if you're really planning to sell them, and be prepared they will be there for a long time lol. I do think the Japanese cards will be more popular though, people might buy it just because it's in Japanese.

Overall, since they are common cards, you probably need to price them cheaply for them to actually sell.

Anyways, if Pokemon franchise doesn't exist in Israel anymore, what I've said above probably doesn't matter.

(Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    I don't know how popular Pokemon is in Israel, because if it were as you say the franchise is dead, whether people know about them anymore or not, or care about Pokemon, is an issue.

Having said that, if I assume the cards were sold in a place or country with a good number of fans, and if you're not trying to make a lot of money out of these, you could just sell them individually, for the people who are looking for specific cards, or just random cards they come across and fall in love with. That said, it might leave you with a lot of unpopular cards, in that case you could try grouping them with other similar but more popular cards and sell them as a set of 3, 4, 5 or even more.

But I'm expecting a lot of unpopular cards, since collectors usually have the common cards already and only care about the rare ones, so you're best treat these cards as some miscellaneous items in your store if you're really planning to sell them, and be prepared they will be there for a long time lol. I do think the Japanese cards will be more popular though, people might buy it just because it's in Japanese.

Overall, since they are common cards, you probably need to price them cheaply for them to actually sell.

Anyways, if Pokemon franchise doesn't exist in Israel anymore, what I've said above probably doesn't matter.
    well....
    pokemon is dead in israel :)
    as a fan of the franchise, as a collector of cards and a player of games? i can honestly tell you that you will find it hard to find anything related. i am sure some shops here and there sell packs. and i am sure toys r us still have some marchendise. but nothing more then that.
    so getting rid of this amount of cards is not an easy task .
    i was looking in some websites online (toad and troll, collectors catch, etc ) but they dont really deal with japanese cards.
    maybe i should try in ebay.

Put them up on ebay, as a bulk lot, and just see how they do. (i've seen lots with this many cards in go for £100-£200). If you have the time sort them into smaller lots (by set maybe?) as you'll make more money than if you just sell in bulk. If you're prepared to ship to other countries, that would help. Definately don't recycle them! They still hold a lot of value, even if not in Isreal, certainly in other countries.
    Diamond FC: 2278 7854 4784
    Black FC: 0948 4516 0029
    Y FC: 2062 9352 1117