WB and UPN to Merge

Thread: WB and UPN to Merge

Ultimate Pokemon Fan! Water Pokémon Master's Avatar

Default WB and UPN to Merge

This news was posted barely four hours ago on the net and has shocked many people in the industry. It's not a bad thing at all, but it sure comes as a surprise. Could this news eventually result in us getting Pokemon back on a more regular basis again? Who knows, but hopefully Pokemon and a Kids' WB after school block will be considered again.

In a bombshell announcement that caught television industry insiders by surprise Tuesday morning, The WB and UPN have cut a deal to join forces as a new single network dubbed The CW that will be comprised of programming and executive talent from both of its predecessors.

In a top-secret megadeal unveiled at a surprise news conference in midtown Manhattan, CBS Corp. and Time Warner will own 50 percent of the new network that will eventually have coverage in more than 95 percent of the country. UPN president Dawn Ostroff will become The CW's president of entertainment; WB Network chief operating officer John Maata will be the chief operating officer of the newly formed entity.

Both UPN and The WB will cease operations and go off the air in September. The CW will program 13 primetime hours across six nights as well as a Kids WB block on Saturdays and two hours of syndicated programming in the weekday afternoons, essentially mirroring The WB model. While a schedule won't be released until the upfronts in May, the new network could carry shows like "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural" and "Smallville" from The WB and "America's Next Top Model," "Veronica Mars" and "Everybody Hates Chris" from UPN... (WPM Note: And you guys better include Pokemon or I EAT YOU!!)
    Last edited by Water Pokémon Master; 24th January 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Water Pokémon Master

Webmaster of
    [PokéBeach]

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was dumbfounded when WB stopped all weekday afternoon cartoons. Not to mention miffed. The legacy of the afternoon cartoon block has been a staple for as long as I've known it, and the WB was the only broadcast station left that I know of that actually does them.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

I don't think the nonexistence of Pokemon would really be an issue, given it'd be suicide not to continue running it (it has the highest Saturday morning ratings, after all)
    However, I have had a prediction bouncing around in my head about Fox getting the show within the next two years...
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is already being discussed here.