Unconfirmed: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sequel upcoming?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unconfirmed: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sequel upcoming?

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Unconfirmed: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sequel upcoming?

According to a NeoGAF member, Chunsoft is working on a sequel to the well-received Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Bulbanews has yet to receive independent confirmation, however, the magazine reportedly states that the gameplay will be slightly different and that it will support Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. If true, this will be the first time that Chunsoft makes a sequel to a Mystery Dungeon game involving licensed characters other than Torneko or Chocobo.It is not known if this is the game that will be announced in the May issue of CoroCoro Comics, which is to be published April 14.

Read more on Bulbanews

If I tell you that they're making a G/S remake for the DS and it links up to a Wii sequel to Pokemon XD on this topic, will you also post that up to Bulbanews?

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

lol @ naysayers

don't like something? fix it. stop complaining about it.

Blog Entries

Assuming it is true, it comes across as being an extremely greedy move. The addition of 107 Pokémon (technically 105 as of this time) is by itself a poor reason to revisit fairly recent games, of which one version is already for the current system.

It also reflects badly on the first game. Why did a separate version for the DS was released in late 2005 if it was clearly not considered distinct enough from the GBA version? The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was launched in the very same month, thus any claim of having to settle for a preliminary version limited in its connectivity, would be moot.

If this game relies on Wi-Fi for being branded "new", I daresay that FireRed and LeafGreen are also two versions lacking a third counterpart. Moreover, the two games, much like any of GBA games, do not support Wi-Fi connection. Now, would a third game to Mystery Dungeon really garner higher sales than would any game developed by Game Freak, including a third game to FireRed and LeafGreen?

Oh please, please PLEASE stop mentioning a ThunderYellow with online support everytime a new game is announced and that isn't it. It's not going to happen by now.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Follow TokoTamer On Twitter

I'm all for a Mystery Dungeon sequel. Loved that game to pieces.

As for this whole third FRLG game, Well, I think remakes will break the tradition. If we see GSC remakes my hunch is we'll get a Gold and a Silver but no Crystal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Oh please, please PLEASE stop mentioning a ThunderYellow with online support everytime a new game is announced and that isn't it. It's not going to happen by now.
    I accept that. My point is that when a game such as this surfaces, which is only distinguished from its predecessors in claims of a better storyline and online support, it makes it clear that a third game to FireRed and LeafGreen was until last year a feasible option. I am baffled as to the Pokémon Company's priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by masterryanx
    If we see GSC remakes my hunch is we'll get a Gold and a Silver but no Crystal.
    It would not be a problem if it did not entail the possibility of Crystal's distinction not carrying into the remakes.

Anyways, as I said before in another topic, the main flaw with PMD is that the battle system was really lacking. Your best strategy was simply to load up your Pokemon with 4 slots of the same move that involved them shooting something far away, and to use that move again and again and again. Melee and close range moves were almost all totally useless, particularly against bosses. Hopefully this will be totally overhauled in the sequel

Blog Entries

This game also clogs the amount of spin-off Pokémon games for the DS. The first Mystery Dungeon game at least did not affect the difference between the number of GBA spin-off games and the number of such games for the DS. With this new game, the difference will now be three games on the DS' side, making it so that any more games would be over the top. Yet, the DS has no game following the tradition of spin-off games with relevance to the main series, which would be the Pinball games in Generation I and III, or the Puzzle Challenge game in Generation II.

I really hope a sequel to PMD isnt true! (Makes me want to pull my hair!)

I wouldn't buy it. I picked up red because I didn't have a ds at the time, and only got to the 5th or 6th dungeon before I got really bored.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

With three years between now and Generation V, I'm sure Nintendo will find ample opportunity for at least two more games. Although possibly not Pinball because for some weird reason that franchise only appears to pop up on Odd-numbered generations . . .

The Puzzle League games, the Panel De Pon spinoff, seem to have been usurped Trozei.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    With three years between now and Generation V, I'm sure Nintendo will find ample opportunity for at least two more games.
    That simply raises the question of what makes this Mystery Dungeon sequel mandatory at this point in time. If anything, the Pinball/Puzzle game should be released now, with the Mystery Dungeon game being kept for the end of the generation where a game boasting access to all currently revealed Pokémon is more appropriate. If released this year, the game would not feature Shaymin, Arceus or other newcomers to be revealed in the next few years.

OBJECTION meow meow! Neko Godot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, I support ThunderYellow, not that it means much. >_<

But son of a bitch, this better not be the game CoroCoro was talking about. I DESPISED the first one. But as long as they make sequels to GOOD spin-off games, I'll be happy. Which, btw, hasn't happened yet... *patiently waits for Ranger 2, Wii Snap, TCG DS, and XD 2*

Hare Hare Yukai!

That simply raises the question of what makes this Mystery Dungeon sequel mandatory at this point in time. If anything, the Pinball/Puzzle game should be released now, with the Mystery Dungeon game being kept for the end of the generation where a game boasting access to all currently revealed Pok&#233;mon is more appropriate. If released this year, the game would not feature Shaymin, Arceus or other newcomers to be revealed in the next few years.
    Most likely to cash in on the franchise while both DP and the first MD are still fresh in people's minds. As for the unobtainables, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be in the game just because their events haven't taken place, but even taking that into account, a password system similar the USA's version of the Ranger Manaphy egg quest is entirely possible - they could be put into the game and only obtainable when a certain password to be released online to tie in with the DP releases are revealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast