Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Gale o - Page 9

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Gale o

Default Re: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I wouldn't say that Mr. Fuji had a "temporary" interaction with Mew; Fuji's diary states that he discovered Mew in Guyana (most likely Faraway Island) in July, and it was only in February that Mew gave birth. Who knows what transpired between those events? For all we know, Mew could have been taken to Cinnabar, only to be brought back to its home when Fuji gained his senses.

What I had in mind was something akin to Celebi and Ho-Oh's appearance in Colosseum. They had a connection to Orre, but they didn't live there, nor were they canonically caught by Wes. Colosseum and XD are the only spin-off games that don't make it hard to believe that they could, in fact, belong to the same continuity as the main series. The only way the new game could ruin that is by making a ridiculous amount of legendary Pokémon conveniently available (like some other game series I won't mention), or by failing to acknowledge Mewtwo's origins (should it be brought up at all).
    I suppose your right about Mr. Fuji. To be able to clone Mew, he most likely had something more than a temporary interaction with it. That said, I'm sure that we agree that no ordinary Trainer has ever used Mew in a way like Mira used Latios or Salon Maiden Anabel used Entei -- or even seen as clearly and chased longingly, like Eusine and Suicune, or Cyrus who was eventually able to find Dialga/Palkia/Giratina.

I hope that Mew's appearences stay on the tone that the Faraway Island correctly represented -- and if this is what you're also thinking, then I can't but agree that Mew could have an appearence in a potential game, without a clear role or something that could demystify it to a level.

Also, despite the fact that I have always been a supporter of Pokemon Ranger's position in Pokemon's Universe, I have to agree that I'm unduly dissapointed by its treatment to Legendary Pokemon... It is as if writers can't think of a plot that will not feature Legendary Pokemon on a first role. And to say they would feature just one, or a trio... It's not even that. I still do count Pokemon Ranger series as canonical (and appreciate them, as they have always been good spin-offs), of course; but substantially, and not to the level of Colosseum and XD, which contribute to the 'verse only second to the tranditional portable series.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Pokemaster View Post
    That said, I'm sure that we agree that no ordinary Trainer has ever used Mew in a way like Mira used Latios or Salon Maiden Anabel used Entei --
    If those trainers were really meant to be associated with legendary Pokémon, wouldn't that be indicated in their dialogue? This is a clear case of gameplay and story segregation; there is a reason why the tag partners don't use legendaries outside the Battle Tower, and I don't think that the Frontier Brains are any different.

As far as I'm concerned, the only character in the main series who has captured a legendary Pokémon is N; the player characters may have only encountered them, or even in cases where they're assumed to have caught them (like in Black and White), it was probably only for a short while. Likewise, Team Galactic "kidnapped" the Lake trio, but Cyrus released them and never intended to catch Dialga or Palkia. In the Orre series, Cipher somehow gained control of the legendary beasts, birds and Lugia, with Wes and Michael eventually purifying them and then setting them free. What I didn't like about those games is that Kanto and Johto weren't referenced as the origin of those Pokémon; Cipher catching Lugia should have been a far bigger deal than it seemed to be.

or even seen as clearly and chased longingly, like Eusine and Suicune, or Cyrus who was eventually able to find Dialga/Palkia/Giratina.
    On that I disagree. Mr. Fuji is to Mewtwo and Mew as Cyrus is to the Creation and Lake trios; we just haven't seen his story unfold yet.

I hope that Mew's appearences stay on the tone that the Faraway Island correctly represented -- and if this is what you're also thinking, then I can't but agree that Mew could have an appearence in a potential game, without a clear role or something that could demystify it to a level.
    I don't think that Celebi's role in Colosseum made it less enigmatic, and I don't see why Mew shouldn't receive similar treatment.
    Last edited by Silktree; 11th January 2011 at 09:41 AM.

If those trainers were really meant to be associated with legendary Pokémon, wouldn't that be indicated in their dialogue? This is a clear case of gameplay and story segregation; there is a reason why the tag partners don't use legendaries outside the Battle Tower, and I don't think that the Frontier Brains are any different.
    To be honest, I'm mostly indifferent on that matter... Legendary trios generally don't seem to be one of a kind anymore, and (while still putting a space of doubt) I don't see why powerful Trainers like Frontier Brains wouldn't be able to capture them, at least temporarily. Even Eusine came close to Suicune multiple times. Outside this, yes... To have Mira, a little girl, use Latios is a over the top to say the least. For this reason, I input a question mark on this matter, but I can't say I'm as annoyed as I would be if they had someone using a Mew, Celebi or something of that sort.

On that I disagree. Mr. Fuji is to Mewtwo and Mew as Cyrus is to the Creation and Lake trios; we just haven't his seen story unfold yet.
    Of course; but there is a difference. Mr. Fuji, despite his action of "creating" Mewtwo, is a kind hearted person, and in contrast to Cyrus' instanity of finding the Alpha Pokemon so that he can recreate the Universe, I don't think he thoroughly seeked Mew. While we don't know much about it, I think a possible explanation would be that he was forced to do what he did by a third person (who could be Team Rocket's boss), and seeing that someone like Mr. Fuji was threatened, Mew appeared on its own. But who knows what really happened? Mr. Fuji is not an "ordinary" person to Mew, and I of course elate him from what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord
    I don't think that Celebi's role in Colosseum made it less engimatic, and I don't see why Mew shouldn't receive similar treatment.
    This indeed is so, but Celebi is by nature not as enigmatic as Mew.

We know Celebi as the time travelling Pokemon; people of Johto have the Ilex Shrine dedicated to it, while people in Agate Village (possibly the whole Orre) also honor it. That's not to say it is not enigmatic; on contrary, the fact that Colossseum brought into attention that Celebi has a known legend in other places too, makes it be more of what it was intended to be. However this, along with the fact that it appeared before Ethan/Kris/(Lyra)'s eyes in the Ilex Forest shrine in GSC, and time-travelled in an event that revealed Silver's past in HGSS, makes it less enigmatic than Mew.

The Generation IV analogous, Manaphy also has a legend explained on its own. While Phione are normal Pokemon seen in the seas, very rarely, eggs of Phione hatch into a very special variaty, sort of like a "prince" to their whole: Manaphy. Three of these eggs have been found by Pokemon Rangers in various regions, and a relatively concrete background has been created for them. Jirachi sure has a certain lack of events dedicated to it, but I think that this is mostly an ommision on the developers' side... Still, Jirachi is not illusory, but rather a folktale spoken Pokemon with great powers -- to grant wishes. Again, that's not to say the others are common or unimportant, but Mew is something different.

Okay, sorry, I went a little off-topic -- partly because I wanted to share my views on Manaphy. :P Don't feel obliged to respond to my outside views; I just wanted to say that I'd prefer for Mew to stay as the Phantom Pokemon, and not receive a deity/protector-like role. If Mew's appearence can be independent to the region's people consideration of it (in contrary to Celebi), then I wouldn't mind it appearing.

P.S.: I haven't read Black and White spoilers, so, I can't speak of Victini, or any other of the games' events. Consider that I try to avoid them too, so... :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Pokemaster View Post
    Of course; but there is a difference. Mr. Fuji, despite his action of "creating" Mewtwo, is a kind hearted person, and in contrast to Cyrus' instanity of finding the Alpha Pokemon so that he can recreate the Universe, I don't think he thoroughly seeked Mew. While we don't know much about it, I think a possible explanation would be that he was forced to do what he did by a third person (who could be Team Rocket's boss), and seeing that someone like Mr. Fuji was threatened, Mew appeared on its own. But who knows what really happened? Mr. Fuji is not an "ordinary" person to Mew, and I of course elate him from what I said.
    The big question is indeed what made Mr. Fuji splice the newborn Mew's genes, thereby creating Mewtwo and separating it from its mother. I can't help but notice a certain similarity between that story and Orre's Shadow Pokémon incident; both cases involve tainting Pokémon and drastically altering their nature.

But there is more to it than that. The Generation I games admittedly didn't do anything with Mewtwo other than offer an inkling of its story, but Game Freak were working on another game at the same time. They were going to release an RPG for the Nintendo 64, but the project ended up falling under the radar (presumably since they were too busy working on Gold and Silver and Nintendo were having problems with the 64DD). Now, although I can't trace the source of this information, I've been informed by Zeta that some details about the game were divulged in early 1998. This is what he recalls was said in one of the official magazines:

* The game would feature the traditional overworld gameplay found in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.
    * The protagonist would be an older boy called Leo.
    * The story would be darker than Red/Blue/Yellow.

The interesting part is that Wes' Japanese name is Leo, and that character is best described as an "older boy". This begs the question of what else Genius Sonority borrowd from Game Freak's scrapped project. Could Shadow Pokémon have been Satoshi Tajiri's concept? Now, in relation to Mewtwo, it's a safe bet that Pocket Monsters RPG (the game's codename) would have had something to do with it considering what year it was (unless the game was meant to be released after Gold and Silver). Is that the reason that Mewtwo was just a side character in Generation I?

Now, one could argue that if that had been the case, Genius Sonority would have been more faithful to the original design by incorporating Mewtwo into Colosseum's plot. But by that time, Game Freak had decided to remake Red and Green, and it was the Generation II Pokémon that needed a home. Since that isn't the case now and all Pokémon are available (to varying degrees of difficulty), Genius Sonority may be more inclined to explore other elements of Pocket Monsters RPG.
    Last edited by Silktree; 11th January 2011 at 10:54 AM.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Should that article really be believed? They didn't even get the history right:

Pocket Monsters originally started out as a (Hana fuda) card game, and is still selling in the form from Nintendo Ltd. Co. (Japan).
    Er...no.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, if I'm not wrong, that's how NINTENDO started out; producing the Hana Fuda cards.

That being said, I do think that page is correct in stating there was a N64 DD RPG planned (I know the mention of Mother 3 for the DD was true)

Blog Entries

I used that article to make a point, but several sources confirmed the existence of that game. The following is an extract from an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto (N64 HQ, June 1997 issue):

We will release Pocket Monster 64 as a 64DD launch title. The title will be different from the Pocket Monster RPG we are also developing. We will use the characters from Pocket Monster in several 64DD titles. Currently, we are developing common data which allows us to use characters for different titles easily. The Monsters are already 3D modeled and development is 50% done. Maybe we can show you screenshots sometime this summer. Of course, Pocket Monster RPG is also under development. Satoshi Tajiri (creator of Pocket Monster) is taking charge of it.

[NOTE: If you're slightly confused by this, it now appears that there are two Pocket Monster games in development for the 64DD. Pocket Monster 64, which will be available at the 64DD's launch, is not an RPG. There is, however, a Pocket Monster RPG, based more closely on the Game Boy versions, in development for the add-on.]

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It better not be as bad as Pokemon Battle Revolution. Or Colosseum/XD.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I liked Colo alot. It provided much needed access to completing the National Pokedex in the 3rd gen by providing access to missing Pokemon such as the Johto Starters, although the Legendary beasts were available in FireRed and LeafGreen, they had an unfortunate glitch that made them have horribly low IVs, therefore the alternative was catching them in Colo and sending the purified beasts to the 3rd gen games.I notice that alot of the pokemon had good moves too.

I had a problem with all the Double battles at fist but it helped me learn double battle strategy, so if this game is an XD sequal and does include triple and rotation battles I'll welcome the practice. Its a little slow because of all the battling, but you snag some good pokemon. I havent played Pokemon XD, which I should because it involves Lugia, whom I like better than Ho-oh

Blog Entries

Wait... so would it be possible if they had a little bit of info about this game (or at least confirm the rumor if it were to be true) in the upcoming CoroCoro? I remember that when I had first heard about Pokemon XD, it was through Nintendo Power. But back then, I had never joined any Internet forums to get that kind of info either, like I do nowadays.
    "He just put on 300,000 pounds....I'm SO jealous." Raven, Teen Titans

Have you heard of the saying "opening a can of whoop-ass"? I did that once in a dream.... I opened an aluminum can labled "whoop-ass" on somebody, and they disintegrated.

My favorite Bulbagarden smiley:

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first ever shot of XD (showing a picture of Michael, and that dude with the Zangoose) appeared in CoroCoro, so, yes.

a
    * The game would feature the traditional overworld gameplay found in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.
    * The protagonist would be an older boy called Leo.
    * The story would be darker than Red/Blue/Yellow.
    Wow, those are some marvelous information!

To think it was Game Freak themselves who developed the project leaves great questions as to what would have happened, had they finished it. If they had developed a console game, it's a wonder which of the current games, both spin-offs and main ones, would exist as of now. It's possible that Pokemon series on home consoles would have more qualitative entries than the mediocrity that was Pokemon Battle Revolution. Plus, (and most of all) we would have received an additional game by Satoshi Tajiri. That's something we can only dream about now.

I wonder if Pocket Monsters RPG was 'Pocket Monsters 3', or a rather different game. Given that Pocket Monsters 2 was in development during 1997, simultaneously with Pocket Monsters RPG, I think that the second scenario is more likely, with the game receiving the 'Pocket Monsters Trainer' label (as opposed to the Stadium series, which was then labeled as 'Pocket Monsters Battle') but not an additional number.

What's more important though, is that the hero's name was Leo. While I highly doubt Genius Sonority used Game Freak's scarps for Colosseum's conception, it's very possible that the game contains some elements, the character's name being the most obvious and likely. We'll probably never know any more about this game, which makes its existance pretty bittersweet. :P

Blog Entries

I wonder if the protagonist wil lbe a X Cipher member. Similar to how Wes was a X Team Snagem member

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Michael wasn't an ex whatever though..

So I kinda doubt it..

Blog Entries

Well an ex-cipher member would make the whole game tons more interesting I thought they'd make a whole new protagonist and Mike would be a professor that works at the lab

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast