Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Gale o - Page 10

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Gale o

Is that So? Lo? Sis? Steel_Justice's Avatar

Default Re: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Ga

If it allows me to use pokemon on my wii and gives access to rare, hard to come by pokemon then I'm all for it.

Default Re: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Mewtwo. Pocket Monsters RPG. Colosseum.
    Now that is a very illusive piece of Pokehistory, and bothers me for reasons outside of 'Aww, I would have wanted that'.

1-If your hypothosis that Mewtwo was not fleshed out because of PKMN RPG, why didn't GameFreak do anything when they had two chances to do so, being FRLG and HGSS?

2-If Colosseum is based on the liner notes of RPG, why not use the Mewtwo plot? Lugia and Ho-Oh aren't that big of a deal, they were given out in the US I believe and Deoxys never hit PAL from my knowledge. Then there's that little Gen3 Celebi issue. Also Mewtwo IS a really popular character, being basically Adam/Frankenstien's Monster as a Pokemon.

3-Was the first movie's extra scenes on the Mewtwo Returns DVD what would be done?

4-Gen 1 is now unavailable, PBR was really badly received(with good reason), why not do it for HGSS? It's not like doubling up on monster availability ever made a difference, HGSS' existance is testimony to that.

5-Why didn't they order GS to do this instead of making FRLG?

In any case, I can see why it never got moved to the N64 carts. Pokemon Stadium GS is 64MB, the biggest an N64 cart can be, I highly doubt that removing the announcer, emulator and minigames would have left enough space for the overworld, unless they made it G1 only, but it would have been post Pokemon Stadium GS I bet. But damn, what a big 'What Could Have Been'.

But on Mewtwo, while he is alluded to in Cinnabar, I don't think much else could have been done.

Blog Entries

Actually thinking about it, the Kami trio (that's what Bulbapedia calls them) would make a lot of sense to be in this hypothetical upcoming game.

For one thing Tornelos is exclusive to black. And Voltolos is exclusive to white. And you can't get Landlos until you have the previous two on one cartridge (likely in your party). So having them be in this game would make a lot of sense, for those who don't want to get both DS games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Pokemaster
    To think it was Game Freak themselves who developed the project leaves great questions as to what would have happened, had they finished it. If they had developed a console game, it's a wonder which of the current games, both spin-offs and main ones, would exist as of now. It's possible that Pokemon series on home consoles would have more qualitative entries than the mediocrity that was Pokemon Battle Revolution. Plus, (and most of all) we would have received an additional game by Satoshi Tajiri. That's something we can only dream about now.
    It's safe to assume that Game Freak wouldn't have bothered with Yellow had been they able to complete the project. Then who knows what would have happened? By that time Blue had had a very limited release, so it's very possible that it would have been the last third version. The entire series might have been very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Gamer_Dude View Post
    1-If your hypothosis that Mewtwo was not fleshed out because of PKMN RPG, why didn't GameFreak do anything when they had two chances to do so, being FRLG and HGSS?
    You're also forgetting Yellow, which essentially replaced Pocket Monsters RPG (it was only released because Gold and Silver had been delayed). The simple answer is that Red and Green had a light-hearted atmosphere, with the muddier aspects of the story being quite vague (Team Rocket killing Marowak, Giovanni taking over Silph, and finally, Mewtwo's past). Game Freak clearly never wanted to change Red and Green (or Gold and Silver) in a profound way, but that is not to say that Satoshi Tajiri never had a concrete backstory for Mewtwo.

Until FRLG, the anime's version of Mewtwo's story was a passable extension of the limited game story. The Generation I games mentioned a Dr. Fuji (the founder of Cinnabar Lab), but never implied that he was one and the same as Mr. Fuji. The remakes changed that by adding several references implying that Mr. Fuji was Blaine's friend that lived in the Pokémon Mansion, where he conducted research. While the scientist's journal didn't indicate that he was a kind-hearted person, the note found on Faraway Island in Emerald did just that.

The mystery could have been solved in FRLG by way of exending the story, but then the games wouldn't have been simple remakes. Does Game Freak's tendency to rehash old stories support my theory? No, but it doesn't indicate anything about what a new game with familiar Pokémon would be like. While Game Freak may have decided to only add substantial plot elements to brand new games, that obviously wasn't their plan in 1997. Regardless of whether or not Pocket Monsters RPG would have been released for Generation I or later, it would have been a new story (supposedly a darker one) featuring the very same Pokémon as the ones from the Game Boy games.

2-If Colosseum is based on the liner notes of RPG, why not use the Mewtwo plot? Lugia and Ho-Oh aren't that big of a deal, they were given out in the US I believe and Deoxys never hit PAL from my knowledge. Then there's that little Gen3 Celebi issue. Also Mewtwo IS a really popular character, being basically Adam/Frankenstien's Monster as a Pokemon.
    First, if it hadn't been for the GameCube games, Lugia and Ho-Oh would have been just like Deoxys and the other event Pokémon (they were all distributed during Generation III, except for Celebi in Europe). Secondly, Colosseum didn't have any Generation I Pokémon to speak of (even the opposing trainers only used one those that were catchable in Ruby and Sapphire). In Japan, the game was released a mere two months prior to FRLG's release date, so it is quite obvious that Game Freak didn't want Genius Sonority to step on their toes.

As for XD, it stayed faithful to Colosseum by focusing on the Generation II Pokémon, the notable ones being Lugia and the starters. Again, hardly any Generation II Pokémon were available in the GBA versions until after the main story was over, and before XD, Lugia had been harder to obtain than its counterpart. For that alone it made sense that Mewtwo was not used.

3-Was the first movie's extra scenes on the Mewtwo Returns DVD what would be done?
    No. As far as Mewtwo is concerned, the critical difference between the games and the anime is that the former didn't mention cloning at all, whereas the latter used it as the main plot point. In the games, Mew gave birth to its child, with Mr. Fuji taking it and altering its genetic structure while already born. That's far more gruesome than simply cloning an ancient Pokémon, and we don't even know that Mr. Fuji did the experiment for anyone but himself. Then there is the fact that the anime version of Dr. Fuji was killed by Mewtwo, whereas Mr. Fuji is a reformed man who doesn't seem remotely capable of harming anyone.

4-Gen 1 is now unavailable, PBR was really badly received(with good reason), why not do it for HGSS? It's not like doubling up on monster availability ever made a difference, HGSS' existance is testimony to that.
    HGSS, like the games they were based on, don't focus on Mewtwo. There is plenty more that could have been done with the Johto legendaries, and I can only surmise that Game Freak didn't want the remakes to feel too removed from Gold and Silver. They didn't even incorporate some of Crystal's added plot elements (the telling of Ecruteak's history and the GS Ball event).

Again, the reason that the console games are different is that they don't add new Pokémon, nor do they have to adhere to precedents.

5-Why didn't they order GS to do this instead of making FRLG?
    Game Freak are largely concerned with their own games. In fact, there is little evidence that they even care about the other games. That's why Colosseum and XD weren't mandatory for completing the National Pokédex in Generation III, albeit certainly very helpful.

So why would Genius Sonority borrow any ideas from Game Freak? Because their games could benefit from greater appeal to the main series players. I'm not proposing that the new game should be like the handheld series, but I don't think Pocket Monsters RPG was meant to be too similar to Red, Green and Blue, either. If Colosseum was in any way based on Game Freak's concept, then there is room to do more of that.

But on Mewtwo, while he is alluded to in Cinnabar, I don't think much else could have been done.
    I disagree. Mewtwo and Mew have a richer backstory than Reshiram and Zekrom, which were tied to Black and White's main plot even though almost any other legendary Pokémon could have replaced them. In contrast, not even Genesect has more to do with the idea of tainting a Pokémon's personality (the main idea explored in the Orre series) than Mewtwo does.
    Last edited by Silktree; 13th January 2011 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I disagree. Mewtwo and Mew have a richer backstory than Reshiram and Zekrom, which were tied to Black and White's main plot even though almost any other legendary Pokémon could have replaced them. In contrast, not even Genesect has more to do with the idea of tainting a Pokémon's personality (the main idea explored in the Orre series) than Mewtwo does.
    Mewtwo is one big reference to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein if I am not mistaken and meant to be a secret at the end. With that in mind, I'd assume the vagueness in his back story was deliberate.

Also, just noting, we know where he comes from, who made him and how. That's kinda the whole thing right there. I really don't know what else could be said about him. Although I kinda wish he still looked a tad more horror filmy like he did back in GR/B.

Wears sunglasses at night deuxhero's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing Missingno., 3TrainerPoké and other glitch Pokémon as stars (results of a failed attempt to create a "new" Mewtwo?)

Just throwing it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

Studying Greek Mythology. KronosClownz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hopefully it wont fall of expectations.
    Mail me with new myth requests!... Credit to Fang for making this awesome banner

Eating too much chicken's bad, it gives you dandruff

Blog Entries

If they're making it similar to Gale of Darkness then there's only one thing I hope for....Miror B's return LOL!!!!

Registered User Gryphon Turboclaw's Avatar

Question Re: Unconfirmed: New Pokémon battling game in works for Wii: Game to be similar to Ga

If it's indeed true that there's a new Colosseum/XD-style Pokemon game for the Wii, then it seems to be a fairly short time between it and the pathfinder games for Gen V, no? While I like the idea, I have some major questions regarding the possible implementation for it.

How much character customization would really be feasible for a game of this nature?

How pervasive would the new battling styles (rotation and triple) from Gen V be in the new game? Don't get me wrong; I thoroughly enjoyed the double battles in the previous games, but also I wish that there had been more one-at-a-time bouts as well(having the *option* of being able to switch in a new pokemon immediately after KOing one of the opponent's, like in the handheld games' normal trainer battles, may also be nice). How were pokemon EVs affected in Colosseum/XD battles, again?

I wonder as to how likely that it might also be compatible with the Gen IV games as well? If so, this would be a very nice touch indeed, especially if that function could allow the new game to act as a Time Machine---remember the ability to directly *trade* between Generations I and II?---between Gen IV/V.

What sort of pokemon would be a good choice(s) for the role of starter? Colosseum had Wes's Espeon *and* Umbreon, while XD had the Michael's Eevee. What Gen IV/V pokemon would be well-suited to step into those shoes? Leafeon + Glaceon? Riolu? Zorua?

Would there be any catchable *wild* pokemon, and if so, how many and under what circumstances would you able to do so?

Some many questions, so much time.
    Avid Advance/Ability/Fire/Imite/Morpheusshipper, because Ash deserves to eventually be with someone who will treat him as an equal, not as a little brother or lesser rival.

Also supports Coastline(Misty actually *respects* Dorian enough to be able to carry out a healthy romantic relationship with him), Luck(no way in hell Lucy's forgotten about Brock), and Twinleafshipping(as much as I like Kenny as a person, Barry should have gotten his role---and the crush on Dawn---too).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Gamer_Dude View Post
    Also, just noting, we know where he comes from, who made him and how. That's kinda the whole thing right there. I really don't know what else could be said about him. Although I kinda wish he still looked a tad more horror filmy like he did back in GR/B.
    We don't know why it was created or what it would do if it ever left Cerulean Cave; Game Freak took the easy way out by having it return to Cerulean Cave in HGSS. But the real mystery has to do with Mew and whether or not it really is the ancestor of most Pokémon.

Leaving Pocket Monsters RPG aside, Mewtwo still stands out as the one of the likelier candidates for a starring role in a console RPG. It would be redundant to have the Generation V legendaries be accessible in a Wii game in addition to the three handheld games; even the Kami trio are going to all be available in the third version (and for now, their being version-exclusive works in Game Freak's favor). Now, the rarest non-event Pokémon is Regigigas, but would it make for a good successor to XD001? It's not very popular and it still suffers from Slow Start, despite the fact that it could have been given a new ability. Don't get me wrong: It should be available in this game, as should the Regis, but not as the leading Pokémon.

Of the legendaries, Mewtwo has changed the most since the last generation (with the Weather trio and most event Pokémon changing the least). It could also be tied to the Shadow Pokémon plot with relative ease; it would be the anti-thesis to Lugia, which was changed around completely when its heart was shut down. Knowing that XD001 could in fact be purified, wouldn't Cipher want to go after a Pokémon that was dark to begin with? It would seem like the obvious solution to their problem.
    Last edited by Silktree; 13th January 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Well if Cipher did make a shadow Mewtwo as their ultimate weapon of destruction, I hope the protagonist is leaving Cipher and have a baby Mew that he saved from being turned into a shadow pokemon, like how Wes escaped Team Snagem but he didnt have a chance to make the area go ka-boom

No. As far as Mewtwo is concerned, the critical difference between the games and the anime is that the former didn't mention cloning at all, whereas the latter used it as the main plot point. In the games, Mew gave birth to its child, with Mr. Fuji taking it and altering its genetic structure while already born. That's far more gruesome than simply cloning an ancient Pokémon, and we don't even know that Mr. Fuji did the experiment for anyone but himself. Then there is the fact that the anime version of Dr. Fuji was killed by Mewtwo, whereas Mr. Fuji is a reformed man who doesn't seem remotely capable of harming anyone.
    Actually, I think the simplest explanation is the most likely about the creation of Mewtwo and Fuji's seemingly contradictory personality.

At the time of Red and Green, the Pokemon world was shown to have no knowledge of how Pokemon reproduce. Pokemon eggs and breeding were discovered by Professor Elm 3 years later but then retroactively applied to all of history.

In this case, I think the likeliest explanation for Mewtwo's origin is simply Fuji attempting to figure out just how the fuck Pokemon reproduce, going so far as to attempt to induce human-style birth in an oviparous species, hence Mew giving life birth instead of laying and egg (and dying during the process, obviously) - and to expand upon that, that Mewtwo's uniqueness is not from generic genetic tampering but are rather horrendous birth defects caused in an attempt to propagate an endangered species.

This plot doesn't make any sense in a world that has retroactively included Pokemon Breeders as an occupation, thus erasing Elm's discovery, and thus erasing any chance this origin might make any sense.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didn't they officially retcon the whole Professor Elm discovering the egg in HG/SS as well? I think he just refers to it as a special egg, as opposed to the first ever egg discovered.

Wears sunglasses at night deuxhero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Turboclaw View Post
    How were pokemon EVs affected in Colosseum/XD battles, again?
    As normal for gen 3 but Shadow Pokes gain no benefit until purified. XD actually has some of the best places to EV train in gen 3 during the post-game (Some of the latter Mount Battle areas have large strechs of single EV trainers, like the 2nd half of area 9 giving only attack EVs, the Rider at the outskirts stand is also present for speed training)

As for starter. Again, I like using the Safari Zone and not having any fixed "starter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex
    JC Denton: "What a shame."

Blog Entries

It would appear that CoroCoro has no news about any game this month.

I'd only be worried if another game were announced before this one. For now, the news lull is just annoying, but it doesn't rule out anything.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast