Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over! - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSeaking View Post
    Oh. I thought those were the Jap names.....
    JP names.

And...most Legendaries don't change. Nor do stars of movies.
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gligar13 View Post
    I find it ironic that people were complaning about the wait, then complaning about the names.
    That's 'cause we thought the names would be good this time around.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    That's 'cause we thought the names would be good this time around.
    Now watch as at one day, everyone thinks the names are suckish and the next day, they're all saying "Oh my gosh, these are the best names ever!". This always happens, and it was most evident with the revelation with Oshawott's design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quagbert View Post
    Snivy...eh, I don't know yet what I think about that name; too used to Tsutarja/Smugleaf. I actually thought of the name Primpent (prim + serpent) this morning; maybe that'll be Janovy's English name?
    (I also came up with Floralord for Jalorda; meaning should be obvious enough)

Tepig is all sorts of meh, I'll have to agree with those who liked the German name, Floink, better.

As for Oshawott...one thing I'll say is that it's a departure from the two-syllable scheme of the last two generations (and the other two starter names of this one). It's probably my favorite of the three. Probably.

Isshu -> Unova is one heck of a curve-ball, seeing how the previous regions' English names are just Anglicized versions of their Japanese names. Looks like they decided to just keep the meaning of the name instead of the name itself.

Seeing how they didn't keep the Yin/Yang bit from Reshiram and Zekrom's classifications, I'm dreading what Hihidaruma's English name might without Daruma/Dharma in it. I'd love it to be Dharboon, but it'll probably be something like Burboon or Babblaze (Babboon + Blaze).

Finally, about the logos...
    (sorry, can't resist)

True, they've made a step in the right direction with HGSS and now Black/White, albeit a small one, by coloring each version name accordingly instead of just typing it in "black-rimmed white text" and calling it a day. Although, however cool and mature the version text is, it's still contrasted by the toddlerish tarp blue/mustard yellow eyesore above it.

Perhaps with the obligatory third version (Clear, Gray, whatever) or the inevitable Ruby/Sapphire remake, they'll finally do something the Pokémon logo itself? I mean, if 4Kids could do it with the Celebi and Latias/Latios movies...
    Floink is awesome.

And yeah, I'm a little sad about the logos not being as awesome as the Japanese ones :(

I always had a feeling in the back of my mind they were going to rename Isshu. I'm glad they did since Unova seems more fitting for a region based of New York.

True, they've made a step in the right direction with HGSS and now Black/White, albeit a small one, by coloring each version name accordingly instead of just typing it in "black-rimmed white text" and calling it a day. Although, however cool and mature the version text is, it's still contrasted by the toddlerish tarp blue/mustard yellow eyesore above it.
    I was really hoping they would update the franchise logo this generation like they do with the games every other gen in Japan. The logo looks too childish now for these games. I would have loved to see a direct translation of the Japanese logo. Like this person did on deviantart. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=pokemon+as+it+meant+to+be+logo#/d2qzgbk
    Last edited by dylanwtn; 22nd November 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwtn View Post
    I always had a feeling in the back of my mind they were going to rename Isshu. I'm glad they did since Unova seems more fitting for a region based of New York.
    True. In fact, I also thought they were going to rename it because Isshu sounds too similar to "issue". Then people would start punning it and making fun of it.

Lick...Lick...Lick :P ShinyRiolu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit ShinyRiolu's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Smuglord View Post
    Warguruu/Wargles probably gonna be Battlird(Battle+Bird).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabukuron View Post
    That's horrible.

Who ever is that stupid is just...

ugh.
    It's bad when even trash is saying how bad your ideas are...

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    True. In fact, I also thought they were going to rename it because Isshu sounds too similar to "issue". Then people would start punning it and making fun of it.
    Oh, and they already have. I seen a couple of people's Avatars. Pretty funny stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRiolu View Post
    It's bad when even trash is saying how bad your ideas are...
    Haha very funny </sarcasm>

Now I'm scared for it's english name now though.

Blog Entries

It's only been hours, and already the dissatisfaction can already be felt. Maybe complaining and being unhappy about something is considered cool and edgy that it seems right to do so, and expressing satisfaction is seen as uncool, pertaining to some of the complainers?

Anyway, about the names...it's time we got them. Do you know why I am happy to get them? For one, it feels homely to use the English names in the English language, because it sounds about right. Another is that newer fans and older fans can use the same language. In previous generations, I adapted to the English names, and thus is more used to them, and it's more courteous to me if the other party used the English names too, and I felt that when talking to newer (or returning) fans, the English names is much easily understandable. Finally, everyone can at least use a common name with the exact spelling! One of my problems with Japanese romanisations is that some spellings are difficult to be standardised. For example, Shanderaa. Some used Shanderaa, some Shandera, and some Chandelar. See? It's too varied. Of course, it's time to get accustomed to the new names now.

Snivy sounds somewhat appropriate, due to the literal meaning it has with the Pokemon, and I think it's quite edgy too. Tepig was also a surprise, due to the much straighter pun within the name, even though the name's not my first thought when it comes to the Pokemon. Oshawott is actually more surprising than the previous, because the name sounds somewhat complicated. The roundness of Oshawott make it seems that the name is fit for the Pokemon, and besides, people who wanted "Wotter" would be happy with part of the name, so it's all good. If you ask me, the term "Smugleaf" is fan-preferred and may not be generally preferred. I supposed fans are spoilt by their own preferences.

Perhaps the biggest surprise in English-ification is Unova. I am not sure about Isshu-lovers, but...is Isshu even supposed to be part of Japan in any way? Unova is also clever naming, due to its meaning behind it, and with that name, I have reason to believe that the region I am travelling in Pokemon Black and White is not related to the previous Generations, so it actually helps the experience of travelling in a whole new region, which was intended by the developers.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRiolu View Post
    Oh, and they already have. I seen a couple of people's Avatars. Pretty funny stuff.
    I know that, but most of the American audience hasn't seen the Japanese name of the region yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    and it was most evident with the revelation with Oshawott's design.
    What do you mean? Miju's design didn't get revealed today.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    I am not sure about Isshu-lovers, but...is Isshu even supposed to be part of Japan in any way?
    No, it's based off a part of New York, USA.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Oshawott the best, so I'm going to be using him. I've actually grown to like Isshu, so Unova seems a bit off to me. Oh well, it'll grow on it.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    What do you mean? Miju's design didn't get revealed today.
    I know that. But I remember when Oshawott was revealed in May and everyone hated its design, but the next day, everyone loved it.

I just can't think of what names they'll think of next
    Official claimer of Darmanitan and Official maker of Bulbagarden's HL2/Valve game Discussion Thread!<---Red Darman

Ohmygod They Killed Kenny Cartmanland's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do you think they'll change the names of Iris and Dent? I could picture them keeping Iris but what about Dent?
    I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

-Pokemon: The First Movie

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast