TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copy

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copy

TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copyright claim

On July 16, The Pokémon Company International filed a lawsuit against Beckett Media for both the use of Pokémon images in their magazine and the selling of individual Pokémon cards. TPCi argues that Beckett's use of Pokémon images in their magazine, Beckett Pokémon Unofficial Collector, violates the copyrights that they own. The company also claims that Beckett "receives a commission [...] from each sale transacted through the Beckett Marketplace", including selling Pokémon cards.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to

And I used to subscribe to these guys. I've never heard of any of this until now. They'd used card images since the magazine's first printing, far as I know. What makes it any different now?

I just hope TPCI doesn't force them to cease production completely.

Blog Entries

Default Re: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to

Quote Originally Posted by Yusei Fudo View Post
    And I used to subscribe to these guys.
    Same, only it was for Yu-Gi-Oh. I feel pretty bad for them. I really don't see what TPCi has to gain from doing this.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

What happ-..

Oh wait, Unofficial Collector. I'm surprised they just got it now, well over ten years after it began.

Jeez, I remember this magazine from when it came out back in *1999*.

Blog Entries

Unofficial just means that they have no ties with Nintendo, Konami, TPCI, etc., doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSkittle View Post
    Same, only it was for Yu-Gi-Oh. I feel pretty bad for them. I really don't see what TPCi has to gain from doing this.
    Me neither. Something regarding $75,000 was in the lawsuit somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up again.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I'm just flabbergasted that they haven't done anything until now despite that this magazine's been around since like 1998. Does anyone even buy Beckett anymore?

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

It appears they have done things before, and this was simply the result of them getting sick with Beckett's recent lack of co-operation with their legal demands.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    It appears they have done things before, and this was simply the result of them getting sick with Beckett's recent lack of co-operation with their legal demands.
    That might explain it. I've also noticed that when Nintendo Power moved to a different publishing company, TCPi have been making the Pokémon video game Players' Guides themselves.

Maybe they'll start making the card guides, too.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What is with all the legal stuff lately.
    I used to get the magazines at the local gas station in town.
    It actually helped me a lot when I was a kid.

Blog Entries

And just when I was gonna try and buy it too...

Still, it doesn't suprise me at all.

Blog Entries

Ehhh... not like that many people buy it many more...

Maybe the only recently decided to sue them because nobody buys them anymore to prevent mass outcry?

Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

I'm still surprised that Beckett is still around, provided the only place I ever seen the magazines are in Toys R Us stores, but I figured they were back issues or something seeing as how they also have back issues of Shonen Jump on their stands as well. Well, it was a fun run while it lasted, and I do remember reading them when I was younger.

who cares this isnt significant to pokemon fans
    PT: 3094-9271-2948
    HG: 3953-9926-0214

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ares5566 View Post
    who cares this isnt significant to pokemon fans
    I was a subscriber. So definitely there are at least some fans who found Beckett significant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast