The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

Thread: The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

I'm surprised Team Preview wasn't mentioned. It stopped the Idea of Leads, weakened and bolstered many different playstyles, and caused many pokemon to lose or gain Viability. There is a reason Electivire can't be used in OU anymore.

Much love to Zurr

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Top 5 Battle System Innovations: The most important changes to battling

I love this article so much, esspecially the nod of Charizard's depressing demise. I'm also happy it acknowledged the Kanto region having an abundence of Poison types that helped Psychic types to become a game breaker before Gen II.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Firstly what @Angad; said. Team preview is simply game-breaking. Many strategies just disappeared thanks to it. The idea of leads for example.

The "Charizard is not OU because of stealth rock" is nothing but a load of bull. Charizard has a lot more problems than simply stealth rock. Its base 100 speed means that it is outspeeded by tonnes of Pokemon, scarfed or not. Its power with solar power is good but weather in dw changes faster than underwear, leaving zard helpless if the weather changes. It also loses its health every turn. There is absolutely no reason to use Charizard over Volcarona, who is a far more potent sweeper.

As for gen 4, Charizard was pretty much outclassed by moltres. Charizard's signature set, bellyzard rarely worked. For reference, zard was bl in Gen 3.

Weather should be frankly be included in the abilities section. Setup weather is pretty poor in general. The weather should obviously be replaced by the special split, the change in critical hit system, change in moves like hyper beam, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

I agree, Charizard is overrated in that SR was not its only downfall. Moltres was, in fact, defeated by Stealth Rock, though.
    Last edited by Angad; 29th July 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    I agree, Charizard is overrated in that SR was its only downfall. Moltres was, in fact, defeated by Stealth Rock, though.
    Till some extent, yes. But it still has chansey and faster mons with rock attacks to worry about. And yanmega as well, but bluntly put, the statement that "Stealth rock made many fire types useless" (which is made regularly in the fandom), is completely false. Volcarona, Heatran and Infernape pretty much outshadow every fire type out there. Considering that sr is a lot easier to play against this gen, one would expect the "screwed up" Pokemon to pop up, but they still don't. And Pokemon like the aforementioned Volcarona, Dragonite, Salamence, Gyara, Tornadus, etc who take a large toll from sr still pop up with regularity.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Good article, but there was anything very original on it. Pretty much everything said is fairly well-known, but then again that's what to be expected considering the title.

The "rocks ruined Zard" argument is made my a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about.

Blog Entries

Another factor, moves like stealth rock donot affect the performance of mons in VGCs or doubles or triples. Although, the writer has referred to the word metagame(implying that he is referring to the smogon metagame since it is colloquially called so), its another point to the fact that sr isn't that game-breaking and definitely not as much as inclusion of abilities and double battles and wifi battles and lot more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    I'm surprised Team Preview wasn't mentioned.
    Game-breaking or not, it was actually introduced in Stadium way back in Generation I. Even now it is not exactly a standard feature due to not affecting infrared battles. I wouldn't be surprised if it became optional in Wi-Fi battles in the future, as well.

Blog Entries

This is probably why Stealth Rock was no longer a TM in Black and White
    No. Just... no.

Stealth Rock isn't an important move in Game Freaks eyes. It got removed not because they care about some fan metagame, but because they had to make a room for the new TMs that Unova Gym Leaders give. Avalanche, Roost, Dragon Pulse etc. got the same treatment.
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

So what meta game are we talking about Nintendo's official VGC or smogon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sonicjms View Post
    So what meta game are we talking about Nintendo's official VGC or smogon.
    I personally care about the tourney metagame more than the smogon metagame, I mean atleast if you do good in the tourneys you might actually get a reward (not to mention more fun experience involved,) not to mention my signature team is unplayable in singles.