Theoretically speaking...: An overview of recent theories - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Theoretically speaking...: An overview of recent theories

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Theoretically speaking...: An overview of recent theories

And Light-type would affect none of these types. So why would it specifically be necessary?
    Light-type would affect anything the developers would want it to. Or do you want to try to justify to me why a bug beats psychics? Or Steel isn't weak to electrical shocks despite being a conductor? Or rocks being weak to sand? Or steel being weak to flesh punching it really hard? Or birds defeating martial artists?
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I think the featured city has the features of Manhattan, New York. There are hints that the new region is in a different country, so who's to say it's going to be all focused around Japan? There's a possibility that we could be looking at something reminiscent of New York. Japan's closest ally is the United States, and there are a few cultural things that point to this being a valid hypothesis. Older trainers, huge city on the water (which could be Tokyo as well, but there's a map running around that shows that Kanto fits the area of Tokyo better), knowledge that it could be a different country, the team rocket grunt that says he's going to return to his home country...

We could be looking at a Pokemon game set in America.

If you look carefully at the image of the city, and then also at this image, you can see some buildings, and even the bridge, that look very similar.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.visitingdc.com/images/new-york-skyline-picture.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.visitingdc.com/new-york/new-york-skyline-picture.asp&usg=__nhs-BO8_Mc96HZsb8eayP9Y6Iyo=&h=439&w=728&sz=102&hl=en&start=1&sig2=xlBZZhL5yPdpk-gndOHTZA&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=12uJxQ34TdYfgM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnew%2Byork%2Bskyline%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS344%26tbs%3Disch:1 &ei=rKbwS-G9A8b_lgfMt-WzCA
    Last edited by DrBored; 16th May 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like making Poison super effective on Water would solve a lot of issues, and at least that one would make sense what with pollution and what have you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Light-type would affect anything the developers would want it to. Or do you want to try to justify to me why a bug beats psychics? Or Steel isn't weak to electrical shocks despite being a conductor? Or rocks being weak to sand? Or steel being weak to flesh punching it really hard? Or birds defeating martial artists?
    The psychic-type weakness to bugs has been explained on numerous occasions. Insects are a common phobia, which could make it hard for the Psychics to concentrate. Alternatively, a bug's mind could be too simple for a Psychic to read the thought off. Or there is also irrc some sort of ancient myth about insects having hive minds, thus making it impossible for Psychics to affect all the minds at once. That's easy to explain.

Rocks aren't weak to sand. Rocks are however able to be broken by an earthquake (which is an attack of guess what type?)

Birds beating opponents who are limited to fighting on the ground should be obvious.

Out of all the examples you presented, there are only two which I can't think of an easy explanation off the top of my head. So while I will grant that there are some hard to explain weaknesses, they are in the minority. Light-type would need an entirely pulled out of Gamefreak's ass type chart to fit with any types at all if it is "Divinity" and any type other than Ghost if it is "Brightness".
    "Isn't Lady Gaga one of the Gym Leaders in Black & White?"
    Hopefully I'll be making some... projects that you guys will find out about soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Psychics being weak to bugs is easily explained by bug phobias. Psychics as a type have intense focus, but it's easily disrupted by fear... Dark, Ghosts and Bugs inspire fear, and hence, psychics are weak to those types.

Rocks aren't weak to sand itself, but they do get eroded.

Also, Fighting types breaking steel may not happen in RL, but it's too cool to pass up.

Anyway, your so-called "explaination" about how there's a "severe type imbalance" is bullshit since it's not the same as the psychic imbalance of Gen I. You've listed several types that are somewhat strong. That's not a "severe imbalance". If it really was a severe imbalance, you would have listed only a single type that dominates the metagame.

To sum it up, Light types aren't going to fix your preceieved "problems". All that's really needed is to add new attacks, tweak movepools and add new Pokémon with unique type combos. Adding a blanket "new type" isn't going to solve all of the metagame's problems.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Post Thanks / Like

All that's really needed is to add new attacks, tweak movepools and add new Pokémon with unique type combos. Adding a blanket "new type" isn't going to solve all of the metagame's problems.
    Tweaking movepools and adding new combos won't stop putting Ice, Ground, and Fighting moves on Water and Steel-type Pokemon the only strategy that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know, considering that these theories have threads in the Pokemon World, and that's usually the place people post their theories to explain the unexplainable in the Pokeverse, I'm wondering why people are debating about that stuff here >_>

Each of these theories already had their own threads in which people were discussing, so why bunch up the discussions here?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the light type because that would be cool and the mew/ditto thing makes sense. But I have a different idea, I think that in black and white, it would be a nice change if it were set in the future and people did more genetic experiments on the pokemon. Like the ones without evolutions, and they fix Mewtwo, and give it a more Mew look and give it Psychic/Light type and ruin Mewtwo and give it the Psychic/Dark type. I think that would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Tweaking movepools and adding new combos won't stop putting Ice, Ground, and Fighting moves on Water and Steel-type Pokemon the only strategy that matters.
    And you're somehow convinced that just adding a new type will solve everything? It won't.

Advanced Trainer Pokémaniac John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Light type, whether it will happen or not, is something I've thought about a bit.

There are 17 types, 9 of which were physical and 8 of which were special. Not that physical and special are tied to types anymore, but if Light were created, it would make it even, which pleases my sometimes obsessive/compulsive mind. Also, Light would allow a new Eevee evolution (again, not going into detail here on what it might look like/do). Yay?

If you look at the type chart simply statistically based on how types affect one another, you can see that Grass type is actually the worst. But if Light were to become a type, in addition to the obvious rivalry with Dark, it would most likely not even effect Grass Pokémon. Photosynthesis, anyone? Steel is also an overpowered type - statistically one of the highest. It's not so obvious what Steel vs Light might be like, but as other people have said, there are some pretty strange type matchups in the chart. Why not this one?

Sure there's not really a need for Light type, but it would round out the type chart nicely, in my opinion. For the record, I am neither for nor against it. I got what I wanted out of Pokémon - Gold and Silver remakes. I have nothing to complain about :)

Post Thanks / Like

And you're somehow convinced that just adding a new type will solve everything? It won't.
    Adding two new types solved the overpowered Psychic problem, didn't it?

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And simply changed it to an overpowered steel type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Adding a new type is just going to shift where the focus is, not balance it out.

Psychic was also overpowered due to the Special stat, which was split so that things like Alakazam weren't invincible on that side of the spectrum, or the fact that Ghost types were all part poison and slower than Alakazam, or the fact that other than ghost, the only type that was super effective was Bug. Though there were powerful bugs, there weren't powerful bug moves.

Don't pretend like the simple addition of two new types were the only thing that balanced out psychic.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think it would be the best time to include a "Light" Eveelution. :)

I think the Ditto theory is rubbish. Seriously. I think they are some kind of mutation...more like a laboratory one.

And the Giovanni Theory sounds very good! I believe its time for a comeback!

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself"
    Friend Code 3DS: 3282 2816 1564

Post Thanks / Like

It did more then that: it also gave fighting types more use by being weak to it, which in Gen I was practically useless... Due to psychic types being overpowered.

There was also the introduction of stronger bug attacks and fixing the glitch that occured with Ghost types and their attacks. Which was probably more benefical then just adding Dark and Steel. (FR/LG wasn't as "gamebreaky" as Red/Blue, even without dark and steel types to use until you received the national dex...)

Look, my point is that there is more to balance the metagame then just randomly throwing new types into the mix. There are more ways. Even if they did add a new type, how will you justify it's strengths and weakness against the types that you assume are overpowered?

Anyway, I'm sick of arguing about this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast