Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that so

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that so

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that so

Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in that some GAME ...

Since last Friday, GAME stores across the United Kingdom have been offering downloads of the Mythical Pokémon Meloetta, allowing Pokémon fans to download the Melody Pokémon onto their copies of any of the Generation V games and will be continuing to do so until April 19. Unfortunately though, reports have been coming in from fans from various parts of the country indicating that some GAME branches do not appear to have the distribution cartridges yet and more alarmingly, some stores appear to be restricting the availability of the download to customers.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in tha

My local game said it was only with preorder of x&y. So I pre ordered X&Y. Game needs to make money off these somehow, so what i'd buy it anyway.

No idea why they get vilified for trying to get some pre orders from it every time. I find it terrible that ppl happy to go in get a freebie then buy the game online from an offshore none tax paying website that doesnt run any promotions or employ anyone in the uk (hi amazon) just to save couple of quid.

Default Re: Some UK stores tying Meloetta event to pre-orders?: Some reports have come in tha

I myself got meloetta from the GAME store in the arndale centre in manchester and they didn't ask for a preorder.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

The ambiguity in the poster is interesting.

The most charitable interpretation is that it's just badly phrased and this is leading some stores to tie pre-orders to the distribution.

If I were more cynical I might suggest that the ambiguity is deliberate. Customers seeing the poster simply assume that a pre-order is necessary, so they get one. Many store owners will assume that a pre-order is necessary and tell their customers this. This means that the store gets a ton of extra pre-orders while still having the get-out clause of "oh my goodness, we didn't mean that you had to pre-order to get Meloetta, what an unfortunate misunderstanding."

Good thing I'm not cynical, eh?

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Makes me glad I'm in the U.S.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Gamestop started doing this as well.

Still, that's a really sleazy move on their part.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My 3DS had the sound on maximum, and there were only three or so other customers in the small GAME shop here in Leeds. I was able to download 4 Meloetta, and no one asked me for a pre-order of anything.

This came to my attention yesterday and I started spreading it around to make it known that stores are trying to pull this. In doing so, GAME's representative actually posted on my Facebook page to clarify (after someone mentioned the store tried to force them to pay for it and the pre-order). This is their post

Hey David! This shouldn't be the case - we will be getting in touch with our store base again to let them know. A deposit is not required to download Meloetta. Please show them this reply in-store if you go back this weekend - failing that we will be in touch! Everyone needs Meloetta in their team right? She has an amazing alternate forme - seriosuly! Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me on facebook@game.co.uk if you need anything further.

HAPPY EASTER!
    Basically it's the store manager trying to rip people off. Inform these guys and they'll sort it out. I had to force the same with Keldeo last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post

Many Gamestop stores were doing this with Keldeo, forcing a $5 deposit too
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

Blog Entries

Some staff are clearly not going to get the message that its free and assume like every promotion for xbox and ps3 games that it does involve a preorder purchase. I dont know why we have to have a topic bashing the company because the saturday casual girl in your local store didnt get it.

Stuff like this is why I sometimes do the Mystery Gift while sitting on the bench outside the store.

I'm going to pre-ordering X & Y at my store soon, anyway.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    My local game said it was only with preorder of x&y. So I pre ordered X&Y. Game needs to make money off these somehow, so what i'd buy it anyway.

No idea why they get vilified for trying to get some pre orders from it every time. I find it terrible that ppl happy to go in get a freebie then buy the game online from an offshore none tax paying website that doesnt run any promotions or employ anyone in the uk (hi amazon) just to save couple of quid.
    Because the distributions should always be free. Even when Nintendo pays big money to hold events themselves, they have always been free. GAME should be confident that people will go to the stores, download the Pokémon, then possibly see something they like and buy it, or downloading the event at a particular branch will make the customer remember that store, which they will use in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    This came to my attention yesterday and I started spreading it around to make it known that stores are trying to pull this. In doing so, GAME's representative actually posted on my Facebook page to clarify (after someone mentioned the store tried to force them to pay for it and the pre-order). This is their post

Hey David! This shouldn't be the case - we will be getting in touch with our store base again to let them know. A deposit is not required to download Meloetta. Please show them this reply in-store if you go back this weekend - failing that we will be in touch! Everyone needs Meloetta in their team right? She has an amazing alternate forme - seriosuly! Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me on facebook@game.co.uk if you need anything further.

HAPPY EASTER!
    Basically it's the store manager trying to rip people off. Inform these guys and they'll sort it out. I had to force the same with Keldeo last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post

It's good to hear that GAME are on the case. I managed to get Meloetta with no problems this year, but for Keldeo I was made to pre-order Black 2 (although they let me download the event a day early, so at the time I thought it was a special case, they scratch my back I scratch theirs kinda thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    Some staff are clearly not going to get the message that its free and assume like every promotion for xbox and ps3 games that it does involve a preorder purchase. I dont know why we have to have a topic bashing the company because the saturday casual girl in your local store didnt get it.
    We're not "bashing the company". It's simply letting readers know that some stores have got the wrong message and are restricting downloads to pre-orders, as well as some stores not having the events in the first place and advising them to try and contact their local branch in advance.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Holy crap Serebii, you're on Bulbagarden?

Anyway, they never did that to me, thankfully. I got Keldeo in Black easily enough, which is good, because I never actually got Black 2 until January. But again, doesn't really surprise me. Gamestop tends to be a very money hungry place, I imagine GAME may be the same way.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

I wasn't so fortunate with the Keldeo distribution - my local GAME variously offered a Keldeo OR a DS case with B2W2 pre-orders, neither of which I got. Here's hoping Meloetta'll be available over Wi-Fi sometime.
    Last edited by Shiny Porygon; 29th March 2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: delink Chansey

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

This is just like paid DLC, completely stupid! TPCi needs to do something about this! These events should be free!

Blog Entries

Still need to get mine....

ETA: got mine, no issues with the GAME in Loughborough
    Last edited by 1quacka1; 30th March 2013 at 11:56 AM.

It's been a while since I pre-ordered anything from GAME, but when I have done so in the past they don't take a deposit. If they say you need to pre-order then make the pre-order and just don't bother picking the game up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast