Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in real

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in real

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in real

Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in reality

I don't consider myself a fan of fan fiction. Especially those using established characters. But there are exceptions to every rule, and Maré Odomo's series of Pokémon-based comic strips, Letters to an Absent Father, is one of those exceptions.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in

Wow, that's pretty cool. The art is fairly simple, but it's a nice addition, IMO.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Review: Letters to an Absent Father: Pokémon based comic strip finds strength in

I liked it a lot. I especially liked the simple art style and the mix of Ash and Red.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

For anyone wondering...

No, this isn't something we'd normally do. But when something like this goes and gets itself reported on places like...
    4 Color Rebellion
    &
    Destructoid
    then we sit up and take notice.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How can he sell this? :/

Isn't that, like, illegal considering it's using trademarked characters. Or does he have Nintendo's blessing?

Blog Entries

It's rare to find a good non doujin related Pokemon comic, and even then it's hard (actually to find any doujin that's remotely game related). It's a shame it's only a few comics long though. And mixes the anime and games

More users should make reviews for webcomics and doujin. It introduces us to new material in an otherwise fanart driven fandom.

But, yea, how can he sell this even if it's self published?

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I thought it was illegal to sell unlicensed fanfiction... I could be wrong, though.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Shortpacked! is a webcomic which uses trademarked properties all the time (mostly transformers), but the creator sells his strips in book format with no problems. This is probably a similar case.

Blog Entries

What I don't understand is why most of these posts are people concerned with copyright infringement rather than appreciating the quality of the comic strips.

Blog Entries

Well, there isn't much of the strip to talk about.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

It's surprising in how much my taste differs from YeOldeJacob (I initially thought it's just with movies).

I don't really like the comics myself. They put a slight smile on my face the first time I saw them, but that's basically it.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

So, the only way to read this comic is to buy it and read it? What.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    Well, there isn't much of the strip to talk about.
    11 strips, the quality of the work, your opinion on it? Yeah, that's a lot right there. Funny how a small line on how its being sold is what's getting the most attention. Considering it is 11 comic strips, you'd think you'd be able to read it all and actually give a formulated opinion. I don't understand what this crapola is about "what's there to talk about" when people go on and on about the age of characters, or the proper shade of their hair!

And of course, ten posts going "How can he sell them?" is a lot of discussion right?

Personally, I enjoy this strip. The reason I avoid most fanfics using in game characters, other than most, if not all being journey fics I can play through my game anyway, is that I have my vision of how the characters are supposed to be, I don't want people telling me how I should think. Do I think Ash is really that deep? No, but the use of Ash as the main character, like Yeoldjacob mentions already ties it to our childhoods. We can connect much easier with Ash regardless of whether he is capable of such thought.

The fact that its so simplistic yet deep and the fact that it gets its message across with just a few words and simplistic drawings is the best part of this. Using a simplistic art style definitely does help in making that childhood connection. While you could draw it more detailed, or try to be more accurate to the actual anime depiction, the childish drawings are perfect. It makes me even wonder whether Ash draws the art as well along with his letters.

What I don't understand is why something like that theory that Ash is actually trapped in a coma and everything he experiences in it somehow connects to some Freudian excuse is considered deep when its anyone bored with a keyboard can come up with that dribble. Its not even an understatement, the Pokemon World forum and TVTropes' WMG page is full of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail View Post
    So, the only way to read this comic is to buy it and read it? What.
    Or you can, you know, click the links provided and realize that its actually available for free on the guy's flickr and even on his website. He's only charging if you want a print copy.

Or having simple reading comprehension since the last line of the review was:

The individual strips can be found on Odomo's flickr account.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 30th June 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post

Or you can, you know, click the links provided and realize that its actually available for free on the guy's flickr and even on his website. He's only charging if you want a print copy.

Or having simple reading comprehension since the last line of the review was:
    Oh, didn't read the whole thing. Guess I'll read this after all...or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail View Post
    Oh, didn't read the whole thing. Guess I'll read this after all...or not.
    Is that supposed to be some snappy comeback that's supposed to do something to me? Your loss if you don't want to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast