Pokémon sprites, art evolve over the years: Pikachu loses its round shape, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon sprites, art evolve over the years: Pikachu loses its round shape, etc

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pokémon sprites, art evolve over the years: Pikachu loses its round shape, etc

Just as Pokémon themselves evolve, so do their depictions in the Pokémon games and anime. The newest additions to the Pokémon library, Diamond and Pearl, are generally regarded by fans as having the most advanced graphics yet to be seen in a Pokémon handheld RPG. Examples from the games and anime are explored in this image-heavy editorial.

Read more on Bulbanews

In the case of Arbok, even its Generation III sprites vary
    I beleive this is intentional, a forerunner of the Karankushi variance, except unique to each game. If you'll take a look at Arbok's Pokedex entries:

It is rumored that the ferocious warning markings on its belly differ from area to area. The frightening patterns on its belly have been studied. Six variations have been confirmed.
    Thus a Pokemon from Hoenn would have different markings from a Pokemon from Kanto. The fact that Arbok shouldn't be wild in Hoenn is overlooked, but it's still consistant with the species.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

who drew that ugly thing Porygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Thus a Pokemon from Hoenn would have different markings from a Pokemon from Kanto. The fact that Arbok shouldn't be wild in Hoenn is overlooked, but it's still consistant with the species.
    Unless I'm mistaken, all Emerald sprites are based off of the R/S sprites, regardless of if a change is put in FRLG. So the consistancy between locations could've easily been accidental. The fact that they use the FRLG design, which is the newest unique sprite, in DP makes me think the FRLG version simply was an update as the article implies.
    blogosphere

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

I changed the Emerald sprites to those of Ruby/Sapphire and added some FireRed/LeafGreen sprites to various examples. I also added the original dates for each sprite to get an idea of the amount of time we are talking about.

The odd thing is, not all FRLG sprites are new. Some, as is the case with Pikachu, are the same as in RS. Others, like Mew and Moltres, are only slightly altered.

Zeta does bring up a good point about Arbok; however, what happens if one trades an Arbok from FRLG to RSE? Its chest design changes.

who drew that ugly thing Porygon's Avatar

Heh. I've still been drawing Mew with the pink tips on it's feet. I wonder where else I'm behind the times. (Other than with Porygon who I intentionally draw more like the original design since it looks slimmer.)
    Anyway, as far as the article goes it was a fun read, and I'd like to see more like this.
    blogosphere

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

An interesting look at the art history of Pokémon. It should probably have been noted somewhere that the game and anime renditions have been converging. But more importantly, it is a good example of the non-news content that Bulbanews will publish.

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I beleive this is intentional, a forerunner of the Karankushi variance, except unique to each game. If you'll take a look at Arbok's Pokedex entries:
    Which really made me wish they had made Arbok get random patterns like a simple spinda in DP. I think those details would have been cool... but maybe that'll be for Gen 5 thing.

All in all, I thought that was a good, interesting article. I didn't even notice untill now that they took Moltres back into a more Animal/Bird type appearance in Diamond and Pearl over the Anime Style, which they've been using since yellow.

You can't refuse... Head Honchkrow's Avatar

I, for one, like the anime look to the Pokemon sprites the games (D/P, to be specific) have begun to adopt.

That's it. I honestly have nothing else to add. @_@

I knew all of this stuff already, so eh.
    "How DO they make it green?" o_o;

I'm probably one of the few who prefers SKinny Pikachu, lol.

Well, any form of art, exposed to the public and maintained long enough, will gradually change and evolve over time. Core stylistic principles usually stay the same, but external influences, changing times and fashions, and as the article mentioned, different people working on it (each with their interpretion), will no doubt affect the superficial aspects of the style.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like skinny Pikachu. It's more sleek to go with the part-emphasis on speed that Ash's Pikachu has.

This was an interesting editorial.

Speaking of which, I want to see some old GS guys updated in Sugi art.

Skinny Pikachu >>>>>>>>>> Fat ugly Pikachu.

It was lame that it took them so long to get that idea into the games.

Blog Entries

Skinny Pikachu is by far the better of the two.

It was funny to see the big blob with tiny legs run around in Indigo League (specifically the Lt. Surge battle). Not funny in the "haha, clever!' sense but in the "that looks odd" sense.

I don't see a difference between the DP Moltres and thes rest of 'em post-Blue.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

One freaky thing is how Spinarak was PURPLE in GS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast