Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

I'm not sure of my position on this swellow/swallow debate. Although, swellows have the little crest on their head. I don't see it!
    For proof, over here right now, swallows are like the nd most common animal to see, so I can just look out the window and wonder(although I can't right now cause it's night)

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

I find it funny that, just after reading this article, I saw a Pokémon reference in a webcomic I read.

Also, those are clearly swallows, not Pokémon.
    Go to Philthon Jones for random and funny videos by my friends and me!

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

i actually just saw the simpsons episode from where that picture was taken from. Ash said "digibot" instead of pokémon:P Another reference I know is also from The Simpsons, when Ralph was playing with bakugan. Bart asked what they were and got this reply from Ralph "It's bakugan. It makes digimon look like Pokémon."

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    Surprisingly, their Japanese is actually accurate.

They even say "Miesasenasai!" or something like that at some point, meaning "Show them!".
    Last time I checked one of the writers knew Japanese, had a Japanese wife, and is basically obsessed with Japan. Makes sense it would be accurate.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by CypherFDP View Post
    They were swallows, not Swellows.

You know, the actual bird?
    Ditto. Kent Brockman also clearly says "Swallow". I'll rewatch it when I have time. Shouldn't that bit be edited out, as it's untrue?
    Swellow: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b9/Ash_Swellow.png
    Swallow: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5c/SwellowSimpsons.jpg

Also, if the Charizard was so rare, why did I keep on getting them? All I wanted was a Blastoise.

Wow a non-American show mentioned in the article (Although it was Top Gear >>).

The article was well written, but I felt it was incredibly short, and was pulling at straws at some points (such as the list of shows that mentioned it bla bla bla...and the Swallows) and became more about "What shows have referenced Pokémon" than the global impact of the franchise. It didn't really measure what it intended to measure, so isn't a valid article in my books [/psychology]. A more meaningful (albeit negative) thing to mention would have probably been how now, all Japanese anime have to have a warning before them about light levels. Also, how unlike other franchises, Pokémon has its own company department (Sonic Team makes non-Sonic games. GameFreak have made other games, but The Pokémon Company is its own department), the Pokémon Centre stores, PokéPark, sales figures, stuff like that. THAT shows more of an impact in Popular Culture than a few second clip on The Simpsons.

To add to the list of references, a Charmander plush is often seen in the background of Reese, Malcolm and Dewey's room in Malcolm in the Middle, and in one episode, Dewey gets into a fight with a kid at a party, while Pokémon cards are seen spewed across the table.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 13th September 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234