Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Wow, this was very interesting to read. Made me go and actually look for these little cameos and clips. The one with Bart watching Pokemon was funny, I literally lol'd at "crystal light ball" and Pikachu's voice-acting. Going to go watch the episode Chinpokomon :).

Great article.
    Last edited by /Zer0; 12th September 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    IIRC in that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, Ray's daughter trades away a whole bunch of cards for a single rare one and Ray forces her to trade them back. She then says she hates him or something and then Ray tries to get that card back, ultimately buying the card and some comics from a Comic Store.
    that episode actually just aired recently. Everybody Loves Raymond is an awesome show. It was a Scramisaur card that she traded for and it evolved by "getting the sonic crystal." lol, good times.

On topic: Great article. What was the reference to Pokemon in Goldmember?
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Urgh, 'Swellows'? Definately worthy of a groan, for reals :/

Had to look up the Simpsons clip over at the ol' 'tube o' you. OK, I...couldn't make out a word said by the Ash expy, though I got a good laugh at the irony of Bart's one liner.

Blog Entries

Just got to the part in the Simpsons movie and Kevin Brockman does indeed say Swellows. And honestly, given how many other types of swallows there are, it seems hard to imagine that they chose that particular species for no reason whatsoever. So given the context, it's definitely a reference to the Pokemon. A pretty cool yet subtle reference I missed the first time around if I do say so myself. :] It seems that there's a Pokemon fan among the Simpsons writers.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

What's even more strange, as the article pointed out, that writer knows Pokemon other than the first 151. Surely something like that is unthinkable when making a parody of Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    What's even more strange, as the article pointed out, that writer knows Pokemon other than the first 151. Surely something like that is unthinkable when making a parody of Pokemon.
    Well, íf one of the writers is a Pokémon fan, then of course he wouldn't only know the first 151.
    Soul Silver FC: 5113 5924 0915

Quote Originally Posted by Battaman View Post
    Poop is racist, it's brown! RACEISM! And pee is yellow!
    -My Toilet, the Racist.

Wow, I had no idea about the Swellow cameo! That's so cool!

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

He says Swallows. It's not a Swellow cameo.

Blog Entries

Aw! You forgot to include that Big Barda Plays the Pokemon TCG!

Then again, I'm a comic tard. I just found that hilarious :'D

Quote Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post
    that episode actually just aired recently. Everybody Loves Raymond is an awesome show. It was a Scramisaur card that she traded for and it evolved by "getting the sonic crystal." lol, good times.

On topic: Great article. What was the reference to Pokemon in Goldmember?
    I think there was a dancing Celebi in an outtake/blooper reel at some point. Can't remember though
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny_Snorlax View Post
    Aw! You forgot to include that Big Barda Plays the Pokemon TCG!
    That's pretty cool

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by /Zer0 View Post
    Going to go watch the episode Chinpokomon :).
    Surprisingly, their Japanese is actually accurate.

They even say "Miesasenasai!" or something like that at some point, meaning "Show them!".
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Super Nintendo Chalmers Bug Catcher Wade's Avatar

"I wonder what it's like inside those pokeballs?"
    "I wonder when you'll shut up and make my dinner."

Thise are swallows in the Simpsons movie, not swellows. Not only is it too bscure a pokemon to make an effective reference, the birds seen do not look like swellow, Kent Brockman says "swallow" they do look like swallows and not swellows, swellow is really quite an uncreative pokemon, so its easy to see why swellows look enough like swallows to get confused, and they arent swellows theyre swallows.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bug Catcher Wade View Post
    Thise are swallows in the Simpsons movie, not swellows. Not only is it too bscure a pokemon to make an effective reference, the birds seen do not look like swellow, Kent Brockman says "swallow" they do look like swallows and not swellows, swellow is really quite an uncreative pokemon, so its easy to see why swellows look enough like swallows to get confused, and they arent swellows theyre swallows.
    As Austin Powers would say, "Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed."
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post
    What was the reference to Pokemon in Goldmember?
    During one scene in Tokyo people in Pikachu and I think Charmander costumes were running around. IIRC, there were other brief cameos in some of the deleted scenes too.

Blog Entries

I must do it...

I wonder if they were African or European swallows.

Anyway, good read, didn't realize there were that many pokemon cameos. Brought back memories of when I collected the cards waaay back when and I had a little slot in my book for the Charizard Card I'd never have.
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast