Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in popular culture

Pokémon; a franchise that now ranks as the second best selling video game series in history per units sold, placing it behind only Mario. No series can gain such a massive amount of popularity without being referenced or parodied in the mainstream media; and despite the fact it is clearly a series aimed at young children, many of these cultural references can be found in series that are unequivocally aimed at an older audience.

Read more on Bulbanews

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

That was a great read.

I actually never knew about the Swellow cameo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Yeah, neither did I know about it, I thought they were just a bunch of regular birds at first.

Blog Entries

omg so terrible this isn't news >:[

just kidding ;D

Yeah I didn't know there were so many references in so many different shows/movies. And I can remember when I got that Charizard card :3 good times.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

They were swallows, not Swellows.

You know, the actual bird?

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    "Harumpf! I do say, THIS counterfeit was more impressive than THAT counterfeit!"

I agree that the Swellow thing is not based on the actual Pokemon.
    Its probably this type of swallow that was smacking into the dome:

Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

How big were they? Barn swallows seem tiny while Swellows are HUGE.
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I love this article. It's very fascinating. I never knew there were Swellows, and Ash's face on the Simpsons episode in the picture is really hilarious. I also find all the Pokemon references funny to read, like the Everybody loves Raymond one.

If I have to throw my thought in on parodies, I would say that it's a shame that Animaniacs didn't get to parody Pokemon, because I think there would be a lot of potential.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Due to inconsistencies in the Dome's size, I find it difficult to measure the size of the birds accurately. There are also no surrounding objects the birds can be measured against.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vraell View Post
    Due to inconsistencies in the Dome's size, I find it difficult to measure the size of the birds accurately. There are also no surrounding objects the birds can be measured against.
    Immediately after they begin sliding down the glass it scrolls down to the cats below, which appear to be or a similar size, IIRC.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

IIRC in that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, Ray's daughter trades away a whole bunch of cards for a single rare one and Ray forces her to trade them back. She then says she hates him or something and then Ray tries to get that card back, ultimately buying the card and some comics from a Comic Store.

I am typing in my sleep. Lyra Zeni's Avatar

I thought those birds were just swallows, but now that I look at them, they look more like Swellow.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

They don't have that back crest thing ot whatever you call it. They do look like Swellow but thats mostly because Swellow looks the same as a Swallow.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by CypherFDP View Post
    They were swallows, not Swellows.

You know, the actual bird?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Error View Post
    I agree that the Swellow thing is not based on the actual Pokemon.
    Its probably this type of swallow that was smacking into the dome:

Also, subtitles say SWALLOWS not SWELLOWS.
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Blog Entries

I have the Simpsons movie on DVD so I can check for myself. I'll post back with my findings.

Nice article, btw, it was interesting. :)

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast