Pokémon.co.jp updated: Art, new information revealed - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon.co.jp updated: Art, new information revealed

The Last Red Mage Keldora Dragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon.co.jp updated: Art, new information revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    The aforementioned lack of four player simultaneous battles in the Generation IV games is not proof that the DS can't handle it; it's proof that the game developers just couldn't be bothered to allow it.

I'm just reminding you that Game Freak isn't really known for pushing a system to its limits.
    Pushing a system to its limits doesn't always make for a good game. I'd rather GF focus on improving the series itself instead of playing catch up with the rest of the rpg world like many people in this fandom are begging for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keldora Dragon View Post
    Pushing a system to its limits doesn't always make for a good game. I'd rather GF focus on improving the series itself instead of playing catch up with the rest of the rpg world like many people in this fandom are begging for.
    This. As far as the series itself improving, I have a feeling that we could be seeing that with Black and White... some sort of improvement, whether it's big or small.

I thought the weather indicator was pretty neat... I'm wondering if that might indicated that there's a possibility of certain areas that could get different weather conditions periodically, instead of just one or more routes having one weather condition constantly (save for the desert, that's obviously going to have a sandstorm all the time). The ability to transfer your save file onto the Internet was pretty interesting too. I wonder what exactly you could do once you do that?
    "He just put on 300,000 pounds....I'm SO jealous." Raven, Teen Titans

Have you heard of the saying "opening a can of whoop-ass"? I did that once in a dream.... I opened an aluminum can labled "whoop-ass" on somebody, and they disintegrated.

My favorite Bulbagarden smiley:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KPTitan View Post
    I wonder what exactly you could do once you do that?
    Again, most likely for online tournaments. I'm not sure why this idea isn't more widespread, especially as there is little else that would require using the Internet.

I eat eggs in users' sigs rafaelluik's Avatar

I hope we still have the current weather animation in the upper screen.
    I really won't like B&W if it doesn't rain constantly on the top screen as it should be.
    Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Playing on the computer would be interesting.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I wonder if this feature detailing the current weather might be intended to streamline the battle process. I know I tend to get impatient when I have to sit through "The sandstorm rages. Mightyena was buffeted by the sandstorm! Salamence was buffeted by the sandstorm!" every single bloody turn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    I wonder if this feature detailing the current weather might be intended to streamline the battle process. I know I tend to get impatient when I have to sit through "The sandstorm rages. Mightyena was buffeted by the sandstorm! Salamence was buffeted by the sandstorm!" every single bloody turn.
    Glad to see i'm not the only one who gets annoyed by that, especially when entering battles with my tyranitar. I hope it is intended to make the process faster so we don't have to wait so long in between turns.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Keldora Dragon
    Pushing a system to its limits doesn't always make for a good game.
    Purposely holding a game back to make it easier to make sequels doesn't help, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord
    What would you consider to be a game that does push the DS' Wi-Fi capacities to their limits?
    I'm not sure about pushing the Wi-Fi capabilities to its limits, but Mario Kart DS allows four players to race each other over Wi-Fi. There are limitations, yes, but still; four player simultaneous. For a 3D racing game, at that. As you mentioned earlier, you can't do that with any of the Generation IV games.

The argument that "Pokemon's never done it, so it can't be done" is ridiculous because, as I've said before, Game Freak never takes full advantage of the hardware they worked with.

With that said, it'll be interesting to see what this whole "connect Generation V to the Internet" thing will end up being.

By the way, the wording of the news article this thread is for is a bit misleading. The text on the website says that you can upload your save data to the Internet and access a special website that enables you to play certain web-exclusive functions. It doesn't say anything about being able to actually play Black & White on a computer, the way you would with, say, a ROM.

For all we know, this whole connectivity thing could just be a fancier, non-mobile version of the Pokewalker.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Man View Post
    Glad to see i'm not the only one who gets annoyed by that, especially when entering battles with my tyranitar. I hope it is intended to make the process faster so we don't have to wait so long in between turns.
    What I think they should have done is show the weather animation and display the text at the same time. I like the little animations.

Blog Entries

It's not unusual at all for simple menu things like that to be bilingual in a Japanese game. Tons of other RPGs have done the exact same thing in the past.
    I've never seen it in a Pokemon game though.

This new weather thing..

GF must take out the constant weather notifications due to this.

Blog Entries

It doesn't say anything about being able to actually play Black & White on a computer, the way you would with, say, a ROM.
    Maybe that's why they gave the name Zekrom to one of the Legendaries?

Weirdness aside... for the bilingual part, I understand that there's plenty of games out there that have that feature. There was a PS3 game that I was tempted to get, and it was bilingual in Chinese and English. But I think the reason why people have taken interest in it with this particular game is that this is the first time it's happened with these certain games, as stated in the article:

For the first time, the battle interface contains both Japanese and English text: the games appear to be at least somewhat bilingual.
    I agree that it's not that big of importance, but nonetheless it was apparently important enough to be brought up in the article in the first place. Personally, I think it's a pretty interesting feature.

I'm kinda glad that they decided to show the time in the battle menu, I'm hoping that they bring back the feature of showing the time on the touchscreen during gameplay like what they did with D/P/Pt. I can always just look at my watch to keep track of time, but what the hey...
    "He just put on 300,000 pounds....I'm SO jealous." Raven, Teen Titans

Have you heard of the saying "opening a can of whoop-ass"? I did that once in a dream.... I opened an aluminum can labled "whoop-ass" on somebody, and they disintegrated.

My favorite Bulbagarden smiley:

Blog Entries

Purposely holding a game back to make it easier to make sequels doesn't help, either.

I'm not sure about pushing the Wi-Fi capabilities to its limits, but Mario Kart DS allows four players to race each other over Wi-Fi. There are limitations, yes, but still; four player simultaneous. For a 3D racing game, at that. As you mentioned earlier, you can't do that with any of the Generation IV games.

The argument that "Pokemon's never done it, so it can't be done" is ridiculous because, as I've said before, Game Freak never takes full advantage of the hardware they worked with.
    It's nice to be able to take a stab at Game Freak for taking the easy way out, and I certainly agree with you. But this is not relevant to my suggestion, which involves at least 16 players connecting for a tournament; none of the DS games have done something like that.

I eat eggs in users' sigs rafaelluik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Man View Post
    It'd be better if the weather is constantly shown at the top screen like it's really raining in the battle (not just between the turns as it appears now). I really would like to keep seeing weather special effects on battles, they could just make the text appear is a faster way...
    Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mitsuru On Twitter
    Follow Mitsuru on Tumblr Visit Mitsuru's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    ..Hm. Seems like weather must be important because why would we need to know the weather when we can see it?

Why is the screenshot bilingual?
    Conversely, why would we need to see the time when we can get a general idea from the battle screen?

Native language + Universal language. It'll get cut in translated versions. It's commonplace.

Blog Entries
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy On Twitter Add Turtle Tamer Kammy on Google+
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Tumblr Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Flickr

Still having a problem with the crappy looking sprites.
    *this space for rent*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast