Pokémon 3D: Is it feasible?: What next for the video game series? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pokémon 3D: Is it feasible?: What next for the video game series?

Default Re: Pokémon 3D: Is it feasible?: What next for the video game series?

I think a full Pokémon game in 3D is fairly possible. I mean, as some of you said, they've already made the Pokédex 3D, with all the 649 Pokémon (formes included), and I think these models look really beautiful in the small screen. Furthermore, each one of them has an attack animation -some even have two- and the application isn't that big. Having these, they have to make the overworld in 3D, something they have experienced with in current and past generations, so... it isn't that a big deal, knowing that modeling buildings is not as difficult as modeling living and organic things.

I think is not neccesary to animate EVERY attack of EVERY Pokémon. It's just fine and neat as it is in the Pokédex 3D. Also, it seems to me that making the wild Pokémon walk over the grass and attack you, is not a big plus to the game, as the effort they'd have to put in that can be used in something more... enriching.

Also, having a Pokémon game in full 3D doesn't mean the essence -of art and gameplay- will be lost. We've already seen PBR, PokéPark, even XD and Colloseum, and they're still Pocket Monsters.

So... yes, a Pokémon game in 3D is possible, and I want it.

Blog Entries

What do you mean the Torchic that Professor ELM gave you?
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Personally, I doubt we will have sprites in Generation VI. Pokémon Battle Revolution only took up 1.24GB, whereas the average 3DS game cartridge has a maximum of 4GB (the biggest game is currently Resident Evil Revelations, at 3.17GB. Kid Icarus Uprising takes up 1.61GB).

I highly doubt the game formula will change too much. I doubt we'll see Pokémon running around in the overworld - random encounters will still be there (and I still hate how Final Fantasy games moved away from random encounters).

GameFreak have also said outright that the main series will be staying on handhelds (Official Nintendo Magazine; can't remember the exact issue). So no Wii U big Pokémon RPG. Maybe something like Colosseum might return, but I'd say that'd be about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Nintendo has announced Pokémon games are in the works for WiiU.
    I'm fairly sure that's false information.
    Indeed. I've been following Wii U news rather closely and there has yet to be any confirmation of a Pokémon title being in development for it. The closest there has been was Reggie (Nintendo of America) saying that he received a lot of letters asking if the GamePad's NFC technology can be used in a Pokémon game.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofPH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Nintendo has announced Pokémon games are in the works for WiiU.
    I'm fairly sure that's false information.
    Author here. I did some research and you are indeed correct. I had read an article about Nintendo's E3 presentation and I had thought a Wii U game was announced but the games that were actually shown off were Conquest, BW2 and Pokedex 3D.

My error and I apologize.
    The sad thing is, while there was a press pack for Conquest, no Pokémon games were actually shown in any of the presentations. Black 2/White 2, Dream Radar and 3D Pro were mentioned and their logos show, but that was it.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Well, I mean, if we are gonna have a 3D Pokemon game on the 3DS, now would be the logical time to make it, because we have no idea what Nintendo's gonna do with the 3ds's replacement. I mean, we don't know if Nintendo's gonna continue with the no-glasses 3D aspect, or whatever.

I personally think that a 3D Pokemon game would be better suited for the Wii U or it's follower. TBH, I think the Wii U is a perfect system for Pokemon via the touch screen. The bag and menu could be displayed on the bottom screen at all times, so pressing "X" to open the menu would be no longer needed. During battle, you could choose your 'mon's moves, similar to what we have currently on the DS, ect. ect. ect.

hells no

Blog Entries

Pokemon will be on the 3DS soon enough... and I cannot see them keeping sprites... they've already completed the 3D pokedex with all 643 Pokemon... and as it's been stated the 3DS cartrige can hand up to 4GB plus the 3DS has nearly PS3/360 level graphics
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

PotentiaSapientiaAudacia Aviator Zero's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Aviator Zero's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawhat?! View Post
    What do you mean the Torchic that Professor ELM gave you?
    That's a quote. Whoever wrote the article implies that Professor Elm hands out Torchic, which is incorrect.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

3D overworld sure, but something tells me other then the fact that the battlefield itself would be 3D with a camera like BW2 the sprites will stay. If anything, with the 3D that we are going to get, the battle screen on top will solely be for the battles and everything noteworthy like HP/Amt of Pokemon will stay on the bottom screen. The sprites themselves however would be something like bianca, a super polished 3D Polygon with a very stylized art, almost CG. That, or fuller sprites ala KOF or such. As I said the OW will be 3D, and with the 3DS its finally time to move away from tile based spritework. The fact that we have ledges, but on a flat plain not indicating at all in a 3D spacial sense that its a hilly protrusion of a hill is quite ridiculous, more so the not natural sprite clumps of grass, which could easily be blended together in larger patches for future games. I would consider it unacceptable from GF if they do nothing on this bit, and give us another flat world with pop-up buildings like its a book or something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I highly doubt the game formula will change too much. I doubt we'll see Pokémon running around in the overworld - random encounters will still be there (and I still hate how Final Fantasy games moved away from random encounters).
    I don't think FF games have completely moved away from random encounters. X and X-2 both had random encounters, and the most recent game to have random encounters is XIII-2.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    I don't think FF games have completely moved away from random encounters. X and X-2 both had random encounters, and the most recent game to have random encounters is XIII-2.
    Iirc, XI and maybe even XII didn't have them (also, I swear XIII didn't, but I didn't get to play too much of that one before my brother sold my PS3). Either way, I disliked the games that didn't have them.

Blog Entries

Iirc, XI and maybe even XII didn't have them (also, I swear XIII didn't, but I didn't get to play too much of that one before my brother sold my PS3). Either way, I disliked the games that didn't have them.
    Nope, XII and XIII didn't have them. I didn't mind it too much. Random encounters tend to make getting from point A to point B rather tedious sometimes.

I just saw it as SE wanting to try something different with enemy encounters, since a majority of the games had random encounters.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

If a 3d pokemon game were to be made for the 3DS, random encounters will likely stay. Reason being is the processor not being strong enough to handle much more than a few objects at the same time. If they were to attempt to do so anyway, animations will have to be cut down significantly. The 3DS is a far cry from the likes of the PS3 or the 360, however, this certainly doesn't mean Pokemon for the 3DS won't be a beautiful game...

The 3DS excels in shader effects (a master of one trade as it were, not a jack of all), meaning you can get effects like dancing shadows in Viridian forest, a brief, strong HDR effect when going from a cave to the bright outside world, or even the dusk light shining off the ocean surface. In addition, models are already made for the 3DS, so it would seem almost foolish not to put them to good use.

Considering the tile-based movement system has been in use for the entirety of Pokemon history, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept it, while giving the character smooth animation accordingly. Though making a tile-based system with 3d models will be a great challenge to make visually appealing. Personally, I think it's a 50-50 as far as movements go. Depending on how far GF goes in world detail, we may or may not have some form of free-look. Less detailed trees means the game can display more of them.

One thing that does stand out is that the 3DS can support tessellation (normally a DX11/OpenGL 4.1 function). What this means is that the detail of objects can be gradually adjusted depending on varying factors. If the tessellation unit were programmed to meet a certain polygon limit, prioritizing character models, and closest environmental objects. This can be used to maximize detail while ensuring a stable framerate.

Finally, there is a potential issue of speed. My 2nd biggest complaint moving from Pokemon Ruby over to Diamond was that the latter title felt quite sluggish overall. Even the latest Pokemon titles don't feel quite as responsive as the titles from the 3rd gen, likely thanks to the polygon graphics.

the average 3DS game cartridge has a maximum of 4GB.
    Oh, I didn't realize they increased the capacity for the 3DS carts so much. That definitely makes it more reasonable to store that many models.

good idea, i really like it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123