Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of anime P

Thread: Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of anime P

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur BulbaBot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of anime P

Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of anime Pokémon

Bulbanews columnist, Thomas Smithurst explores the ins and outs of the original "sidekick" style character to Pikachu. Before and after evolution, the writers put a lot of effort into the character of Misty's Togetic and hoped the audience would have a good opinion of the character as well.

Read more on Bulbanews

Blog Entries

Default Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of ani

I think this edition was one of the better ones so far. A bit more short and to the point, and altogether easier to "digest" than others such as the Horsea edition. Great work ^^

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Togetic: Reviewing the characterization of ani

Iteru basically summed it up. Great article.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I agree with Iteru, too. The article had all the information it needed, and no filler. But why is Togepi refered to as a girl? Its gender was never confirmed. It also made the article confusing to read at times because of it.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

I was going to ask the same question, but other than that, I see no problems with it. This one is rather easy, though, since it did have a lot of screentime.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    I agree with Iteru, too. The article had all the information it needed, and no filler. But why is Togepi refered to as a girl? Its gender was never confirmed. It also made the article confusing to read at times because of it.
    The writer discussed early on that he writes about the Pokémon with the gender-specific pronouns he believes they relate to best. Personally, I think Togepi is male :/
    The dark lord trombonator (trom)
    Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief, Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief, and Archives Advisor

Now blogging as 'idiosyncriticnz' at wordpress.com

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The fact the writers gave her an epic two partner episode with one of the shows few, infrequent, emotive scenes; connotes that the writers valued her character and wanted the audience to feel the same way.
    I don't think the writers valued Togepi, or else they wouldn't have ignored it and treated it like a piece of Misty's clothing for 200 episodes. I guess the writers had no clue how to give Misty a reason to appear in Hoenn, so they decided to make a storyline about Togepi to give her an excuse to appear.

Togetic being released seemed reasonable at the time. Misty had never released a Pokemon before and she wasn't a main character at that time, (or any time after), so giving it a farewell scene was fitting.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This one was short but up to the the point providing nice and well done analysis about Misty Togepi which was portrayed as very rare specie during that time as well being ground breaker in pokemon eggs being introduced in pokemon show.
    Only thing i found little confusing was Togepi being referenced as girl but i suppose its up to viewers interpretation what kind of gender this pokemon had since it was nevr confirmed.

I also agree about part of mixed reactions coming from fans with some hazing it while others loved it,but thing which is true for sure was that Togepi played important part in original series serving as secondary mascot to Pikachu along with having one of most tearful and sad goodbyes with writers accomplishing their intention of making people care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I don't think the writers valued Togepi, or else they wouldn't have ignored it and treated it like a piece of Misty's clothing for 200 episodes.
    Thats not really true,Togepi was at that time viewed as something important being first pokemon egg in main cast.It also served as hint of foreshadowing toward release of second generation of games(Gold and Silver)being its mascot.Togepi may have not do much but it did get screen time from time t time when he used to wander of getting lost gaining friendship with various pokemon both from wild like Houndoom and Voltorb and among main cast.It also helped save group couple of times by using teleportation or metronom when they were in danger like it was case in "Island of Pink pokemon",when they battled Butch and Cassidy Drowzee or when TR tank was about to crash in mountain for example.

Togepi helped on some occasions but his role was never intended to be battler with his portrayal in anime being described as small and fragile baby pokemon who needed someone to take care serving mostly as secondary mascot helping how much he could.

I guess the writers had no clue how to give Misty a reason to appear in Hoenn, so they decided to make a storyline about Togepi to give her an excuse to appear.
    They could have her come for some water tournament instead to advance her goal of becoming water pokemon master,have her come to catch some new water pokemon ,com to help battle Team Aqua and Magma like they did with Gary for example.Kyogre being legendary water type could have been excellent way to have Misty appear being one of her dreams to meet powerful legendary water pokemon one day always hoping to catch some day one.

Writers could have easily return Misty for something else with purpose of advancing her own story tying up loose ends in Hoenn but they chosen Togepi because they probably viewed it as valuable and important pokemon with two part dedicated to him reflecting on how they felt about it.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 23rd July 2011 at 02:51 AM.